OITH anyone?

Post links and discuss other astronomy related websites.
pakarinen United States of America
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

OITH anyone?

Post by pakarinen »

Anybody have / used one of these? I wonder if it would be a useful addition to an atlas although my Cambridge and Norton's both have object lists. I use SS scopeside, but maybe for planning or a quick wider detailed view?

https://birrendesign.com/astro.html
https://birrendesign.com/astro-spread.html
=============================================================================
Man... That's some icky-tasting stuff!
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
kt4hx Online United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Re: OITH anyone?

Post by kt4hx »

pakarinen wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:33 pm Anybody have / used one of these? I wonder if it would be a useful addition to an atlas although my Cambridge and Norton's both have object lists. I use SS scopeside, but maybe for planning or a quick wider detailed view?

https://birrendesign.com/astro.html
https://birrendesign.com/astro-spread.html

I have one autographed by Peter Birren. I looked through it of course, but it is not something that I've ever used in the field nor thought about using. I bought it simply to add to my bookshelf of atlases and observing guides. I prefer an actual atlas for my observing sessions as I can prepare observing lists if I wish to using various sources.

I appears that it covers 717 objects as faint as mag 10.5. It does have a section about lunar observing highlighting features as the phase changes during the month. There are various informative tables in the front of the book and basic seasonal charts. The objects are listed by constellation (alphabetically) and cover those constellations that would be typically visible to the mid-northern observer. In the back there are are a small number of sketching and note pages. The charts are very basic, and the author likely designed it for use along with a normal atlas.

It is well suited for binoculars and small aperture scope users. While it is a nicely laid out book, its not something I would use myself. For smaller apertures, I would simply use something like the S&T Pocket Sky Atlas. It sort of depends on what the individual is trying to achieve and what their observing style is. For me, its not a good fit. But for someone else, it may be the bee's knees. All that said, it is a welcome addition to my library and I am glad I bought it for that purpose. Hope that helps Olen.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)