Let's see your reports!
helicon Online United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 599

TSS Awards Badges

M87 in Virgo

Post by helicon »

About 4am the spot between Vindemiatrix and Denebola in Leo was in my sweet spot for observing between two cedar trees. I had hauled the scope out earlier and had a 12:30 session which was not particularly productive but some very faint fuzzies were caught in the vicinity of Leo's head. With the 4" they were fleeting at best, enough so that I did not bother to get a positive ID for them.

4am was better as I set the scope for the halfway point between those aforementioned stars and quickly nabbed M87 which was surprisingly bright and well seen in the West. After regarding it for a bit I panned around to the northeast of M87's position and caught a few more fuzzies. If I had gotten up at 2am there would have been a chance to see M104 down below near Corvus, which is one of my goals for this season. Since gifting my ten inch Dob two plus years ago I am nearing a decision to get another light bucket, this time a 12" Apertura. I just miss the light grasp in pulling in galaxies. So it's likely I'll pull the trigger before summer. Now that my bothersome knee has improved significantly, I think I'll be able to sling one around.

That's it for now folks. Indeed it was refreshing to catch a few objects in season.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
messier 111 Online Canada
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Re: M87 in Virgo

Post by messier 111 »

that was a good session, thx Michael .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
kt4hx Online United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Excellent Michael, glad to see you getting out for some galaxy hunting! Also happy to hear you are considering going back to some aperture again, which will certainly give you the reach you are seeking. Good luck and hope the knee continues to strengthen.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Good hunting Michael! Larger aperture would definitely make pursuing galaxies more rewarding. If weight and ease of deploying is a concern I would put for consideration 8" SCT. It is amazingly compact and lightweight for it's aperture, and rides comfortably on wide range of mounts. As you may remember I have been using it for awhile as my main galaxy scope, first on Twilight 1 and then on SkyTee2. Caught over a thousand of galaxies with it.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Delos, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3122 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2196, S110: 77). Doubles: 2461, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 261
Ylem United States of America
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Nice session Michael!
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

helicon Online United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 599

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Bigzmey wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 12:13 am Good hunting Michael! Larger aperture would definitely make pursuing galaxies more rewarding. If weight and ease of deploying is a concern I would put for consideration 8" SCT. It is amazingly compact and lightweight for it's aperture, and rides comfortably on wide range of mounts. As you may remember I have been using it for awhile as my main galaxy scope, first on Twilight 1 and then on SkyTee2. Caught over a thousand of galaxies with it.
I'll definitely consider that or a 9.25" Edge. I'm considering a move back to California after two years up here for a few reasons. One, I was able to redeem all of the equity through the sale of the Bay Area home while prices were at the top. Two, I am not quite satisfied with the skies here being rather cloudy and tree obscured. As I get older and the kids are grown I'm finding that the hobby is getting more important to me as well. Three, I miss my favorite pizza place. Not really a good reason but it is what it is. :icon-smile:

I'm also considering SoCal and maybe Borrego Springs, I hear it is Bortle 3 with no streetlights (at least that's what I read on the web) but quite hot in the summer so maybe as a seasonal place. Any thoughts on Borrego? I know it is right in the middle of the state park. It's also maybe a 75 mile drive to Del Mar, a place where I used to live.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

9.25" is a great scope to. It is not as grab and go as 8", but still very manageable. During the season I take it to the desert every weekend and don't dread packing/unpacking at all.

Borrego Springs has grown in the last few years. Which makes for more refined living, but the skies have gotten brighter. I would say Bortle 4-5 within the town and 3-4 once you drive to the desert. Which while not pristine skies, not bad at all. It is about 3 hour drive from Del Mar. Day trip is certainly doable (we have done a few) if you like driving. :) The route is scenic with many great views which makes up for the length of the trip.

I am in love with desert, so may be a bit biased. Most of the year, from October to May, the weather is pleasant. It gets hot is summer, but it is dry heat. Also, summer nights are always cool, and evenings and mornings are still pleasant. You just do siesta during the day, read, watch TV, shop or polish your scopes. :D
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Delos, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3122 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2196, S110: 77). Doubles: 2461, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 261