NASA will allow private astronauts on the ISS

Discuss current topic regarding space exploration.
smp United States of America
Articles: 0

NASA will allow private astronauts on the ISS

Post by smp »

From Ars Technica:

On Thursday morning, NASA held a press conference to announce that the International Space Station is now open for business. Previously, commercial organizations have only been able to use the ISS for research purposes; now NASA is open to letting them make a profit in low Earth orbit (LEO). "We're marketing these opportunities as we've never done before," said NASA's Chief Financial Officer Jeff DeWitt earlier today.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2019/06 ... 500-a-day/

smp
Stephen
- - - - -
Telescopes: Questar 3.5 Standard SN 18-11421; Stellina (EAA); Vespera II (EAA)
Solar: Thousand Oaks white light filter; Daystar Quark (chromosphere) Hα filter
Mounts: Explore Scientific Twilight I; Majestic heavy duty tripod
Local Club: New Hampshire Astronomical Society
UlteriorModem

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: NASA will allow private astronauts on the ISS

Post by UlteriorModem »

I am a little confused by the article. In one place it talks about 'commercial production' in another it talks about "cargo options" and "getting IT there".

So is it actual astronauts or some sort of cargo.
Tom

Current Equipment:
Mount: Celestron CGX-L
Scope: 130mm f7 APO
Cam: ASI071mc-pro
smp United States of America

Post by smp »

Yes, you're right, they start off talking about the new cargo costs, but then there's this:

"In addition to manufacturing and production, NASA set pricing for space tourists—it’s calling them private astronaut missions—aboard the ISS, too. Regenerative life support and toilet access? That's a snip at $11,250 per crew day. The more expensive "Crew Supplies" option—$22,500—sounds more hospitable, including as it does "food, air, crew provisions, supplies, medical kit, [and] exercise equipment." NASA says it will support up to two short-duration private missions to the ISS each year, and those missions will travel on a US launch vehicle developed under the Commercial Crew program."

So, to me it sounds like if you want the budget option, it will cost you $11,250 per day for life support and access to the toilet. If you want it all ("food, air, crew provisions, supplies, medical kit, [and] exercise equipment.") then it'll cost you $22,500 per day. And of course that's after you have arrived. They seem vague on what the cost is to actually travel there and travel back home again. That may be previously stated in the $6000 per Kg cost, but I was not clear if that was one way or both ways...

Sadly, it's all still far too rich for me, even if I only wanted to travel as a piece of cargo. :lol:

smp
Stephen
- - - - -
Telescopes: Questar 3.5 Standard SN 18-11421; Stellina (EAA); Vespera II (EAA)
Solar: Thousand Oaks white light filter; Daystar Quark (chromosphere) Hα filter
Mounts: Explore Scientific Twilight I; Majestic heavy duty tripod
Local Club: New Hampshire Astronomical Society
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 598

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

It may be around Richard Branson's price of $250,000 price per person to get into suborbital space aboard Virgin Galactic, whenever that becomes a reality.
In years past the cost was prohibitively expensive ($20-$40 million per trip).
During the period from 2001 to 2009, the publicized price for flights brokered by Space Adventures to the International Space Station aboard a Russian Soyuz spacecraft was in the range of US$20–40 million. 7 space tourists made 8 space flights during this time. Some space tourists have signed contracts with third parties to conduct certain research activities while in orbit.
- from Wikipedia (space tourism)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_tourism

I'm curious to see what the fare to Mars will be. And of course, it could be a one-way trip! Elon Musk has been quoted as saying that he wouldn't mind moving to Mars and dying on the Red Planet one day. Of course, it will be tough to manage his projects from there (SpaceX, Tesla, the Boring Company, etc.) :veryconfused:

But I suppose one could manage-by-tweet from Mars!
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
bobharmony

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

On the local news this morning they mentioned a price tag of $58 million for a NASA trip to the ISS! They do have issues with fact checking from time to time, however.

My wife was happy to hear this price, as she doesn't want me to go, but if I ever hit Powerball, I will take a ride, send a postcard, and buy the t-shirt!

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 598

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Wow that's even more expensive then a decade ago. I guess it's inflation.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
UlteriorModem

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

bobharmony wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:37 pm They do have issues with fact checking from time to time, however.

Bob
:Clap:
Tom

Current Equipment:
Mount: Celestron CGX-L
Scope: 130mm f7 APO
Cam: ASI071mc-pro