What have you been up to lately?

Discuss non-Astronomy related subjects. NOTE: posts are removed automatically after 365 days.
Butterfly Maiden Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: 2022 What have you been up to lately?

Post by Butterfly Maiden »

Went for a walk along Highcliffe Beach this morning with Sophia.

Sunny and quite breezy, but refreshing nonetheless :smile:

Highcliffe-Beach_20221009_105640.jpg
Vanessa

Nikon D82 Fieldscope with 30x/45x/56x angled eyepiece.
Olympus DPS-1 10x50 binoculars.
Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
ewomack United States of America
Mars Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by ewomack »

The wife and I had our latest Covid boosters and we reacted as we usually do, which meant we spent the weekend in bed. To pass the time, and help drown out our groans, we watched all three of the "Lord of the Rings" movies. I hadn't seen them for 10 or 15 years. Though still highly entertaining, I noticed an almost distracting amount of rather huge plot holes this time through. Maybe my "suspension of disbelief" functionality wasn't working at full capacity when the films first came out? I don't know. I still enjoyed them and they did help us pass a large amount of time.

And another shocker: those films are now 20 years old. Yikes.
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

We both got our flu and COVID boosters today, I feel ok, but both shoulders sore enough to get out of yard work ;)
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

ewomack wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:47 am The wife and I had our latest Covid boosters and we reacted as we usually do, which meant we spent the weekend in bed. To pass the time, and help drown out our groans, we watched all three of the "Lord of the Rings" movies. I hadn't seen them for 10 or 15 years. Though still highly entertaining, I noticed an almost distracting amount of rather huge plot holes this time through. Maybe my "suspension of disbelief" functionality wasn't working at full capacity when the films first came out? I don't know. I still enjoyed them and they did help us pass a large amount of time.

Are you watching the new Lord of the Rings series on Amazon Prime?
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
Nakedgun United States of America
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Nakedgun »

Yesterday (Sunday) my wife and I went out to the desert to ride our off-road motorcycles. Temps upper 70s to low 80s while we were there, and with a breeze. This seasonal change means she will be able to start going regularly, again. Logged 49 miles, and feeling it, today.

"A republic, madam, if you can keep it." - Benjamin Franklin
DeanD Australia
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by DeanD »

ewomack wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:47 am The wife and I had our latest Covid boosters and we reacted as we usually do, which meant we spent the weekend in bed. To pass the time, and help drown out our groans, we watched all three of the "Lord of the Rings" movies. I hadn't seen them for 10 or 15 years. Though still highly entertaining, I noticed an almost distracting amount of rather huge plot holes this time through. Maybe my "suspension of disbelief" functionality wasn't working at full capacity when the films first came out? I don't know. I still enjoyed them and they did help us pass a large amount of time.

I remember watching the first one at the cinema (20 years ago! eeek!), and there was a stunned silence when Boromir cut the head off one of the chief orcs. Then a loud female voice came from the back of the cinema: "It was only a flesh wound!"... It certainly ended the silence (and the drama!) (Just in case you don't get it: you have to be a Monty Python fan as well as a Tolkien fan. ;) )
Telescopes: 12" f5 dob, Celestron CPC800, 150mmf5 Celestron achro, Tak TSA102, TV76, ETX125...
Binos: Steiner Wildlife XP 10x26, Swarovski 8x30 Habicht, Zeiss SFL 8x40, Vanguard Endeavour 10.5x45, Fuji FMTR-SX 10x50, Tak 22x60, Orion Resolux 15x70
Eyepieces: way too many (is that possible?), but I do like my TV 32mm plossl, 13mm Nagler T6, 27mm Panoptic and 3-6mm Nagler zoom, plus Fujiyama 18mm and 25mm orthos and Tak 7.5mm LE
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Ylem wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:13 am We both got our flu and COVID boosters today, I feel ok, but both shoulders sore enough to get out of yard work ;)
My arm was a bit sore after my COVID booster, flu shot scheduled for next week courtesy of my employer.

My wife got her flu shot at her employer (major hospital) and she could barely raise her arm afterward. Weird - she never had that much of a problem before.

Anxiously awaiting the arrival of new carbon fiber tripod.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Shipping my Manfrotto 475B pod out today. Might have a buyer for my SW AZ5 mount. Time for an 80ED frac maybe... :grin:
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

pakarinen wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:48 pm Shipping my Manfrotto 475B pod out today. Might have a buyer for my SW AZ5 mount. Time for an 80ED frac maybe... :grin:
It's always time for an 80ED :)
Clear Skies,

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters

OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

Yesterday afternoon, I gave a well-received talk about Nightscape Photography to the Canberra PhotoConnect group.
https://www.canberraphotoconnect.org/

A large selection of my images have been used to illustrate a five page article in Australian Sky and Telescope about Queensland Astrofest [ https://www.qldastrofest.org.au/ ].
cover.jpeg
They have just appeared in the current issue. The author, one of the event organisers, used my images taken at the event as well as my three images that won the three sections of the astrophotography competition. He asked me before the event to do the images for the article.
pages.jpeg

I joined the moderator team of a 7000 member Facebook Astrophotography Group a few weeks ago.

Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

OzEclipse wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 2:15 am Yesterday afternoon, I gave a well-received talk about Nightscape Photography to the Canberra PhotoConnect group.
https://www.canberraphotoconnect.org/

A large selection of my images have been used to illustrate a five page article in Australian Sky and Telescope about Queensland Astrofest [ https://www.qldastrofest.org.au/ ].
cover.jpeg
They have just appeared in the current issue. The author, one of the event organisers, used my images taken at the event as well as my three images that won the three sections of the astrophotography competition. He asked me before the event to do the images for the article.
pages.jpeg

I joined the moderator team of a 7000 member Facebook Astrophotography Group a few weeks ago.

Joe
Quite an achievement Joe, congrats!
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Nakedgun »

~
Today (Sunday), my wife and I rode our off-road motorcycles in the desert, covering 44 mile. Some overnight rain kept dust at a minimum - a nice break.

My wife spotted something shiny off the trail so stopped to have a look. Turned out to be a pile of M793 25mm chain-gun ammo casings along with their disintegrating links left behind by the Marine Corps, who sometimes train in the area we traverse. No telling how long they had been there, exposed surfaces had the OD paint stripped off, with some rust forming on the links.

I picked up a few to bring home:

IMGP3976 - Copy.JPG

Greenman Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Greenman »

Gearing up to going back to being a wage slave. One of my ex-workmates set up a company making liquid handlers in 2015. His business boomed carrying out IVD during COVID, and he offered me a part time job in Sales for the UK, I work one week then 3 weeks off (on standby). This brings me in £1,000 pm and a bonus of £2,000 when I sell a system. With the current issues in the UK, this was a no - brainer.

First day of work today for 16 months - and I survived.
Cheers,

Tony.

Smart Scope: Dwarf II - Club and outreach work.

AP Refractor: Altair 72EDF Deluxe F6;1x & 0.8 Flatteners; Antares Versascope 60mm finder. ASIAir Pro.Li battery pack for grab & go.

Celestron AVX Mount; X-cel LX eyepieces & Barlows 2x 3x, ZWO 2” Filter holder,

Cameras: main DSO ASI533MC; DSO guide ASI120MM; Planetary ASI224MC; DSLR Canon EOS100 stock.

Filters: Astronomik IR cut; Optolong L-Pro; Optolong L-Enhance.

Binoculars: Celestron 15 x 70.

Latitude: 52.219853
Longitude: -1.034471
Accuracy: 5 m
Bortle 4 site. https://maps.google.com/?q=52.21985,-1.03447

Pluto Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Nakedgun »

Greenman wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:25 pm Gearing up to going back to being a wage slave. One of my ex-workmates set up a company making liquid handlers in 2015. His business boomed carrying out IVD during COVID, and he offered me a part time job in Sales for the UK, I work one week then 3 weeks off (on standby). This brings me in £1,000 pm and a bonus of £2,000 when I sell a system. With the current issues in the UK, this was a no - brainer.

First day of work today for 16 months - and I survived.
~
Sounds like a nice schedule. I will be retiring mid-December, which will be my second time to try being unemployed.
I have a nagging suspicion I won't take well to it. Finding something with a work structure like you have would be ideal, but highly unlikely, alas.

Good luck!

SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by SkyHiker »

Had my 2nd colonoscopy yesterday, at 10 year intervals. I wish it was at 100 year intervals. Gulping down 4 liters of PEG3350 in 3 hours is no fun, and is the worst part of it. After that, you won't complain about fasting and the procedure itself. However as I lay on the table with an IV plug in my arm my doctor was called away for an emergency surgery so I laid there for 2 hours staring at the ceiling. After he came back it was quickly done and I'm good for another 10 years. Happy to have done it and be done with it.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Greenman Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Greenman »

Nakedgun wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 2:39 am

Sounds like a nice schedule. I will be retiring mid-December, which will be my second time to try being unemployed.
I have a nagging suspicion I won't take well to it. Finding something with a work structure like you have would be ideal, but highly unlikely, alas.

Good luck!
Cheers, appreciated. Retirement has its benefits, but I was lucky for this to fall in my lap.
Cheers,

Tony.

Smart Scope: Dwarf II - Club and outreach work.

AP Refractor: Altair 72EDF Deluxe F6;1x & 0.8 Flatteners; Antares Versascope 60mm finder. ASIAir Pro.Li battery pack for grab & go.

Celestron AVX Mount; X-cel LX eyepieces & Barlows 2x 3x, ZWO 2” Filter holder,

Cameras: main DSO ASI533MC; DSO guide ASI120MM; Planetary ASI224MC; DSLR Canon EOS100 stock.

Filters: Astronomik IR cut; Optolong L-Pro; Optolong L-Enhance.

Binoculars: Celestron 15 x 70.

Latitude: 52.219853
Longitude: -1.034471
Accuracy: 5 m
Bortle 4 site. https://maps.google.com/?q=52.21985,-1.03447

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Nakedgun wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 2:39 am Sounds like a nice schedule. I will be retiring mid-December, which will be my second time to try being unemployed.
Working remotely from home for a couple years was great and I can't say I'm enjoying driving to my office three days a week now, but I'm pretty sure "real" retirement would drive me nuts in short order. If it comes to it, I'll sell plumbing supplies at my local hardware store 3-4 days a week. :grin:
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

Meantime, like @Greenman I have come out of retirement and returned to work in Canberra for a while. Full time for one year, covering my old role managing a Stable Isotope Mass Spectrometry Facility accessed by 4 research groups while my replacement is on maternity leave. I will take a 10-12 week break from mid March to do a 4wd tour around Australia. I made that a condition of accepting the role.

In the words of Michael Corleone,
michael.jpg
To continue the godfather metaphors, they made me an offer I couldn't refuse. :lol: :lol:
vito.jpeg
vito.jpeg (10.66 KiB) Viewed 1524 times

The net result is that I'm not really missing much astronomy time due to all the rain. Some temporary road closures, or fear of the road closing preventing my return to the city for work on Monday's, is interfering with some of my weekend visits to the property. For example, the week I started work, I waited all weekend and until just after sunset Sunday night for the water to recede as much as possible. It stopped raining Friday. The bridge opened but another country lane had about 1km of shallow still water over the road that I had to drive through. I don't make a habit of driving through flood water but this was a long straight stretch, I could see the other side, water was still not flowing, and I know the road well. It's completely flat and there was no chance of the water reaching much over the hubs of my 4wd let alone entering the bodywork.

Cheers

Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)
GCoyote United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

Post by GCoyote »

Starting with the usual fall clean up and preparation for winter. I got the
Covid booster and the high dose flu shot for being over 65 but almost no side effects this time around.

Hoping for a clear calm night for the Orionids now.
Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.
Gary C

Celestron Astro Master 130mm f5 Newtonian GEM
Meade 114-EQ-DH f7.9 Newtonian w/ manual GEM
Bushnell 90mm f13.9 Catadioptric
Gskyer 80mm f5 Alt/Az refractor
Jason 10x50 Binoculars
Celestron 7x50 Binoculars
Svbony 2.1x42 Binoculars
(And a bunch of stuff I'm still trying to fix or find parts for.)
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Been doing the fall cleanup, the leaves are mostly still on the trees, but there is enough out there to keep me busy.

Planning to put the house on the market in the spring, so the more I do now the easier springtime will be.
At least that's the plan anyway 😆
Clear Skies,

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters