Kanadalainen
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Manual Messier Mosh

Post by Kanadalainen »

Ian’s June 1st Report – Manual Messier Mosh

Locale: Pelican Inlet, north of Winnipeg
Conditions: Bortle 2 skies, New Moon, excellent transparency, above average seeing
Equipment: C80 refractor with Antares finder and Telrad – 28 mm ES82, 18 mm vixen ortho, 13 mm TV Nagler,
Time: 10:19 pm to 2:40 am
IMG_6687.JPG
IMG_6683.JPG
Up at the cabin I prepped my C80 for an evening of star hopping. The day was extraordinarily clear and I finished up my maintenance work on the joint early, so I caught a 3 hour nap from 3 pm to 7 pm. About 10 pm the sun slide sideways under the northwestern horizon and slowly, ever so slowly the twilight passed to semi-darkness. I had plenty of astro-friends to keep me company including two white-tailed deer, a pileated woodpecker, my family of grey owls, and loons working on their concertos on the lake. The breeze had been dying all day, and by 10 pm was relatively quiet.

The scope was set to go with a finder and a new mount for my Telrad. My plan was to use my chart to get me in the general vicinity of my targets, confirm this with the Antares finder (using a Meade 40mm super plossl, and sometimes a 25mm TV plossl) and then go in for the “kill” with the main scope.

Normally I would try to locate key stepping-stone stars with my finder, but during the past few months with the C80 I have worked out a method of measuring degrees Telrad – finder – scope to knock down all manual targets.

Arcturus – I began here to start as a jump point to M3. I visualized a rough, uneven triangle on my chart begin the search for M3. At this point in the evening astronomical darkness had not yet arrived. As the wind dropped further and darkness became more complete, the quality of the views became among the best that I have seen in a year.

M3 - a relatively bright ball of fuzz, stars discernable at the periphery, with a few skeins of stars at the edge – this site brought a modest shock of pleasure as I stumbled into it after a few minutes of searching with an 18mm ortho (I probably should have used the 28mm). The point-and-search method is so much easier with the Telrad to get me into the general vicinity.
Screen Shot 2019-06-03 at 10.25.16 PM.png
M13 – the mothership of globular clusters, was ballparked by seeking out Vega, then locate Eltanin and then Alphecca. Between those two marker stars, and slightly below, lay the riches I sought in the Hercules Cluster. It took me a few seconds but again the Telrad synched nicely with my chart and we were off to the races in the finder. In this case, the contrast was becoming so nice in the Antares finder that I placed the scope on what looked like a likely smudge… BINGO, M13 in the main scope. I let my eyes settle for a while and began to distinguish small skeins of stars emanating from the main ball, like a prop on a Cessna.

M92 – Moving east to Eltanin and Rastaban, I found very impressive M92, a less formidable clumping of stars, but still great to behold. Just for fun, I zoomed through the skies between M13 and M92 to begin to memorize that part of the sky using less obvious marker stars.

Alberio – I then moved back to Vega and then slightly west, and down to the little clumping of stars near in Lyra with Sheliak and Sulafat. I found the eye of the swan Alberio (Cygnus) and noted the easily split doublet.

M57 – between Sheliak and Sulafat in a line lies the smokey ring nebula or M57. I used the 28mm ES82 to locate this one, again very lucky with the Telrad, but invisible in the finder. This evening I came back to this triad of star-nebula-star and searched for the central star using higher and higher power, eventually pushing the scope it with just over 130x at around 1:00 am – the legendary faint central star still managed to elude me using the C80. I consider seeing this little marvel a rite of passage but so far I am still knocking on the gate – I will put the big dob to use next time. The ring itself became better and better with more power, which speaks to the quality of the sky this evening.

M56 – In a rough line between Sulafat and Alberio hides M56, globular cluster NGC 6779. Its bearing is again not as imposing as M13 in any way, but a satisfying find. A couple of north/south runs in altitude brought me upon this fine glob.

The coathanger - Between Alberio and Zeta Aquila (in the feathers of the Eagle) lies a famous asterism which I have never seen. The coathanger appeared beautifully perched in my finder scope. In fact, the finder provided the best view of this asterism, clear and crisp. The over-magnified version was barely distinguished in the main EP of the C80. Pretty nice coathanger.

M27 – Moving east, I found this large nebula, pretty and grey/white, with no discernable colour.
Screen Shot 2019-06-03 at 10.28.29 PM.png
NGC 6823 and NGC 6885 – a couple of open clusters in this region.

M71- Another globular cluster sitting halfway between γ and δ Sagitta. It is not difficult to observe, but resolution of stars was partially doable in the C80.

M29 – I swung my scope east to  Cygni (Sadr) as the swan began to rear higher out of the east. The time now was ~1:45 am and the skies were properly dark – good for nebula. I picked up little M29, a modest open cluster in Cygnus, just south and west of Sadr.

Gamma cygni nebula – no bright nebula per se, but I could detect dark bands within the vicinity of this nebula in Cygni. Around gamma cygni, I let myself dark adapt for about 10 min and used my finder (best), and the main scope at very low mag (not as good) to see mainly the faint dark bands in this region.

North American nebula – My highlight of the evening. I studied my starmap, and using this orientation I could clearly see this nebula quite plainly with the naked eye and it really popped in the small 50mm finder scope. It was useless to put much power on this nebula, again best seen in the finder scope and clearly observed with my eyes. Exciting to see this clearly for the first time.

M101 – The conditions were truly good now, even in the western skies, and the time was around 2:30 am. I used Mizar and Alkaid to form an imaginary isosceles triangle to hop up to M101, and there it appeared in all its hazy faint glory. With this scope I was unable to see any NGC’s within the arms of the galaxy. My first galaxy with the C80.

M53 – I drew imaginary lines extending north from Porrima and Vindematrix to intersect with another southerly line from Arcturus and Muphrid – and there I plonked the Telrad bullseye. This yielded M53 after some searching, a pretty little glob.

This led me to try my hand at M64 – the black eye galaxy, which I found by sliding west along the azimuth… no deflection in altitude required, and there it was, with the black eye itself very prominent. I was so pleased with these finds I spent 10 minutes observing each by lateral movements in azimuth.

A very beautiful evening of amazing dark and transparent skies, thanks for reading to the bottom.

Ian
Ian

Fracs: Stellarvue 70T f6; SW 120mm Esprit f7; "Mark Mk. II" - 60 mm Tasco f6; C80 frac f 11.4
SCT: C8 Edge f10 or f7 with reducer
Dob: 14.5" homebuilt strut dob (f4.5 ZOC mirror), Nexus II, Moonlite focuser
Mounts - Ioptron Skyguider pro, Astro Physics GTO900
Cameras and lenses - ZWO 2600 mc, 290 mm mini, Canon 60D modded with Rokinon 10mm 2.8; Rokinon 135mm f2

Skysafari 6 Pro, Astro Pixel Processor, Pixinsight - using Mac tablet and ASIair pro to run the AP rig.

"Mothers! It is there!" - Rafael Gonzales-Acuna, 2018.
Lady Fraktor Online Slovakia

Re: Manual Messier Mosh

Post by Lady Fraktor »

A great report Ian!
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1000101)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
Kanadalainen

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Kanadalainen »

Thanks Gabbrielle! :). I forgot to add that I used other EPs including the 7 mm TV Nagler to try to find the central star in M57...

I need that same kind of night, but about 260x to see that little gaffer.
Ian

Fracs: Stellarvue 70T f6; SW 120mm Esprit f7; "Mark Mk. II" - 60 mm Tasco f6; C80 frac f 11.4
Cameras and lenses - ZWO 2600 mc, 290 mm mini, Canon 60D modded with Rokinon 10mm 2.8; Rokinon 135mm f2

Skysafari 6 Pro, Astro Pixel Processor, Pixinsight - using Mac tablet and ASIair pro to run the AP rig.

Bigzmey Online United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Nice haul of Messiers there Ian! You mast have nice dark skies to see North American nebula without filters.

I dig the oversized finders setup. How do you like Telrad on refractor? What EP do you use in your RACI?
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Delos, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3122 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2196, S110: 77). Doubles: 2461, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 261
helicon Online United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 597

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

What a great night Ian. I am happy for your that you had such a good experience under pristine skies! You really put the scope through its paces.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Don Quixote

Post by Don Quixote »

This is a wonderful tour Ian !
I would have paid good money for a ticket to be there with you under such a cooperative sky and your fine navigation !
Thank you.
Kanadalainen

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Kanadalainen »

Bigzmey wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:21 pm Nice haul of Messiers there Ian! You mast have nice dark skies to see North American nebula without filters.

I dig the oversized finders setup. How do you like Telrad on refractor? What EP do you use in your RACI?

It was about the finest evening I've had for observations. I am super lucky for that. :) No wind, no bugs, very dark in the east and south, warmish 8*C. I kept a running tab of my targets on an old envelope.

I kicked over a big plastic 5 gallon watering can at 2 am which was the only real excitement. My family reported back in the morning that they knew it was me, so no-one actually got out of bed. :lol:

For the RACI I used the cheap Antares crosshairs EP initially, but then went to alternate between the Meade 4000 Super Plossl (40 mm) and the TV 25 mm Plossl. I threw in a TV Nagler 13 mm just for laughs, but the best was the TV 25 mm Plossl. The views through the little 50 mm were *impressive* for such a tiny instrument.

I love the Telrad on my frac. I use it often on the dob, so its second nature for manual hops. I found the mount for it at scopestuff - its fixed to a usual Synta mount, which in turn is mounted to the GSO focuser.

http://www.scopestuff.com/ss_telo.htm

Ian

P.S. With the Plossl in the finder, I found myself focusing by simply pulling the EP up and down, and fixing it in place with the grub screw. I need to find a helical focuser that drops into the 1.25" bore!
Ian

Kanadalainen

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Kanadalainen »

helicon wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:21 pm What a great night Ian. I am happy for your that you had such a good experience under pristine skies! You really put the scope through its paces.
Thanks! Sometimes it comes together, I was exhausted but really happy with the scope.
Ian

Kanadalainen

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Kanadalainen »

Don Quixote wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:37 pm This is a wonderful tour Ian !
I would have paid good money for a ticket to be there with you under such a cooperative sky and your fine navigation !
Thank you.
Thanks Mark, not sure if you ever get up this way, but if you ever do, I would be happy to show you around this place. You would have fun, I think. :)
Ian

Bigzmey Online United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Kanadalainen wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:40 pm
Bigzmey wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:21 pm Nice haul of Messiers there Ian! You mast have nice dark skies to see North American nebula without filters.

It was about the finest evening I've had for observations. I am super lucky for that. :) No wind, no bugs, very dark in the east and south, warmish 8*C. I kept a running tab of my targets on an old envelope.

I kicked over a big plastic 5 gallon watering can at 2 am which was the only real excitement. My family reported back in the morning that they knew it was me, so no-one actually got out of bed. :lol:

For the RACI I used the cheap Antares crosshairs EP initially, but then went to alternate between the Meade 4000 Super Plossl (40 mm) and the TV 25 mm Plossl. I threw in a TV Nagler 13 mm just for laughs, but the best was the TV 25 mm Plossl. The views through the little 50 mm were *impressive* for such a tiny instrument.

I love the Telrad on my frac. I use it often on the dob, so its second nature for manual hops. I found the mount for it at scopestuff - its fixed to a usual Synta mount, which in turn is mounted to the GSO focuser.

Ian

P.S. With the Plossl in the finder, I found myself focusing by simply pulling the EP up and down, and fixing it in place with the grub screw. I need to find a helical focuser that drops into the 1.25" bore!
Thanks Ian! I bet TV Plossl works nicely. I recently acquired Stellarvue finderscope which likely similar to yours: 50mm, 200mm FL, F4. It came with crosshair 20mm 50deg EP which is not bad. But I like to get max FOV the finder capable of. The first thing I discovered - it does not like budget EPs. :lol: So far Pentax XW 20mm produced the best views with whopping 7 deg TFV.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Delos, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3122 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2196, S110: 77). Doubles: 2461, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 261
omeek United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

Post by omeek »

Great report, Ian! You made the best of an amazing situation! It's so great when things work out that well. :D
-Oliver
Telescopes: Orion XT8i, Zhumell Z12
EP's: Baader Ortho 6mm, Orion Expanse 9mm, Tele Vue 10mm Delos, ES 68° 16mm, ES 68° 24mm, 2" Q70 32mm, 2x Orion Shorty Barlow (and various Plossls)
Bino's: 12x42, 12x60
bladekeeper

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bladekeeper »

Great report, Ian! Good to see the C80 delivering for you.

Planning on working through the TSS Messier observing program with mine if the sky ever unclenches. I am starting to think I am in an astronomical nexus of hell (or British Columbia). :lol:
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100

Kanadalainen

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Kanadalainen »

Bigzmey wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:10 pm
Kanadalainen wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:40 pm

Ian

Thanks Ian! I bet TV Plossl works nicely. I recently acquired Stellarvue finderscope which likely similar to yours: 50mm, 200mm FL, F4. It came with crosshair 20mm 50deg EP which is not bad. But I like to get max FOV the finder capable of. The first thing I discovered - it does not like budget EPs. :lol: So far Pentax XW 20mm produced the best views with whopping 7 deg TFV.
Thanks Andrey, I would love to buy a couple of those XW's - all I hear is that they are keepers. :)
Ian

Kanadalainen

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Kanadalainen »

omeek wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:22 pm Great report, Ian! You made the best of an amazing situation! It's so great when things work out that well. :D

Thanks Oliver, I think the sky gods took pity upon my meagre frostbitten hams :lol: ... and perhaps now I've burnt up all my luck. :)
Ian

Kanadalainen

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Kanadalainen »

bladekeeper wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:21 am Great report, Ian! Good to see the C80 delivering for you.

Planning on working through the TSS Messier observing program with mine if the sky ever unclenches. I am starting to think I am in an astronomical nexus of hell (or British Columbia). :lol:
Thanks my friend!
Thats a good plan (!)... I will go back and consolidate what I've seen with the C80. I'm sure you are in some kind of weather blip, and will be followed by a couple of months of clear skies. :P
Ian