Moon Filter use

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
chicagorandy United States of America
Articles: 0

Moon Filter use

Post by chicagorandy »

IF your telescope has a star diagonal eyepiece holder.

Whilst browsing the subject of Moon filters I came across a 'tip' that never would have occurred to ME, so I thought I'd post it here for fellow total rookies who want to use a Moon filter to cut down some of the harsh glare/eye strain and also to improve contrast.

Since you will most likely want to switch eyepieces to go from low to higher powers during an extended viewing session, before the session insert the Moon filter into the end of the star diagonal holder rather than the individual eyepiece. Then you can switch EP's without also fiddling with the filter. When done with the Moon for the night, slide out the diagonal, remove the filter, and enjoy the stars, planets and DSO's.

No doubt seasoned astronomers are well versed in this simple technique for filter use, but when I read the tip the dim light bulb above my head lit up - lol. It is also possible this tip is the wrong thing to do. In which case I hope others will set me straight on the subject.

I reckon that as I continue my journey of astronomy/telescope education, as things enlighten me, I will share them here in Beginners for others like me.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." Abraham Lincoln
We may not have it all together, but together we have it all.
The older I get, the better I was.

Celestron Nexstar+ 127 SLT, several budget plossl eyepieces, Celestron 8-24mm zoom EP and a 12.5mm illuminated double reticle EP, Svbony SV205 camera w/.5 focal reducer, Celestron SkyMaster 20x80 binos on a 40 yr old QuickSet PanHead tripod, Stellarium, Sharpcap and ManyCam on my laptop, SkyView and Nightshift on my phone and a dandy little $9 red-light flashlight.
Lady Fraktor Slovakia

Re: Moon Filter use

Post by Lady Fraktor »

A handy tip Randy! If you are viewing with a variable polarizer you can put half on the diagonal nosepiece and the other half on the eyepiece, just turn the eyepiece to get the dimming effect.
Another tip is to not let your eyes be fully dark adapted when doing Lunar viewing, then the lunar surface does not seem as bright.
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1000101)
The only culture I have is from yogurt

Post by chicagorandy »

" then the lunar surface does not seem as bright."

Well then....there's yet ANOTHER thing I have in common with the Moon - lol

Celestron Nexstar+ 127 SLT, several budget plossl eyepieces, Celestron 8-24mm zoom EP and a 12.5mm illuminated double reticle EP, Svbony SV205 camera w/.5 focal reducer, Celestron SkyMaster 20x80 binos on a 40 yr old QuickSet PanHead tripod, Stellarium, Sharpcap and ManyCam on my laptop, SkyView and Nightshift on my phone and a dandy little $9 red-light flashlight.
kenpresley United States of America

Post by kenpresley »

:thumb:
Great tip, Randy. Will be especially valuable during outreach viewings.
Thanks!
ken
Telescopes: Orion Skyquest XT10 goto, Orion St80 on ES Twilight 1, Seestar s50
Binoculars: Celestron Skymaster 25-125x80 zoom
Bigzmey Online United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Good one Randy! When observing the Moon don't limit your experience to neutral density filters. I like orange filter. Small details seems to pop up when I put it in.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Delos, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3122 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2196, S110: 77). Doubles: 2461, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 261

Post by chicagorandy »

Thanks for info, I'll keep it in mind. At the moment I only have the moon filter - I gave away the others and the rest of the Celestron kit to the person I gifted with my Celestron 127EQ for their use.

seer

Post by seer »

I just tried the polarizing filter with a correcting diagonal not long ago and got some strange results. I have a mirror diagonal on my wish list now.
Donald
Tasco BRK Essentials Model: 169735 7x35, Celestron Cometron 7x50, Bushnell 10x50 Legacy WP, Oberwerk 15x70 LW, Meade Infinity 60mm AZ Refractor, Bushnell Deep Space 3 inch Reflector, Meade Polaris 80mm EQ Refractor, Meade Polaris 114mm Reflector.
Marilyn Mangel

Post by Marilyn Mangel »

Before using moon and variable polarising filters, I used sunglasses. Don't snigger, it WORKS!

These filters also work well on Jupiter and Venus.
Greg6498

Post by Greg6498 »

Those are GREAT tips! I hate nesting around with filters and eyepieces in the dark!
Celestron 7” 180mm Maksutov Williams Optics 2” Rotolock Mirrored Dielectric Diagonl Celestron Advanced VX EQ Mount Skywatcher 8” Collapsible Dobsonian with an Explore Scientific 8x50 Polar Illuminated Erect Image Finder Scope Explore Scientific 34mm 68 Degree Eyepiece Baader Morpheus 12.5 mm eyepieceExplore Scientific 18mm 68 Degree Eyepiece Explore Scientific 6.7mm Eyepiece
helicon Online United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 598

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

I haven't tried this yet Randy, but will give it a shot with my frac, assuming there is a spot to insert the moon filter in the diagonal.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Lady Fraktor Slovakia

Post by Lady Fraktor »

The nosepiece of the diagonal should be threaded for filters.
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1000101)
The only culture I have is from yogurt

Post by chicagorandy »

I wish I could claim credit for the idea, but it is from a post someone made several years ago on another forum that I happened across doing a Google search on moon filters.

Nimitz

Post by Nimitz »

I would encourage you to try lunar observing without a filter. The reason people report that lunar observing hurst their eyes is that they are letting their eyes fully dark adapt and then trying to observe the brightest object in the night sky. When planning to observe the moon just don’t let your eyes fully dark adapt and you should be able to view without issue.
Intercepting and temporarily inconvincing light photons as they travel through the universe since 1989
jerryTheC

Post by jerryTheC »

And don't forget that as you increase magnification, the image gets dimmer anyway (you're basically spreading the same quantity of light out over a larger area).

If I'm going to use a moon filter, I prefer the variable polariser approach - though a lot of the time I don't bother with one at all; your eyes soon adapt.
The downside of not using a filter is that it completely kills off your dark adaptation, so it takes some time to get it back afterwards...
--
Cats: Celestron N11GPS Refractors: Tak FS60C/CSV, WO ZD66, Vixen SS80, Tak FSQ106ED Bins:Bushnell 8x40, Celestron 15x80. Main Eyepieces: Vixen LVWs, Televue Naglers 12T4, 17T4, 2.5T6, Old Meade 2"40mm.