Nexstar 8 SE which accessories to get first?

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
Psalm 19
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

Re: Nexstar 8 SE which accessories to get first?

Post by Psalm 19 »

Hello Bigzmey/depratnt,
Thanks for your suggestions.

depratnt,
You say, "it comes with one eyepeice 26mm". I don't understand. What comes with a 26mm eyepiece? I checked the link that Bigzmey gave and didn't see it there. :?
God Bless You Both,
Joe :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup:
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Infinity and Beyond Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

The telescope comes with a 25mm eyepiece
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1000101)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Makuser »

Hi Joe. You have already received some great recommendations from the veteran experts on here. At this point, I can only second these from my own experiences.
1: An adjustable and comfortable viewing chair. Your, neck, back, and legs will thank you after an observing session.
2: The dew shield is a very handy addition.
3: The focal reducer is great for achieving a wider angle of view with your f/10 telescope.
4: The RACI (right angle correct image) finder scope is my favorite.
5: And you can either buy a solar filter made for your scope, or build one yourself with the Baader mylar solar film sheets.
6: A good sky atlas to help you find your way around at night.
As to eyepieces, after you get the above accessories, you can later add the various focal lengths (and the resulting magnifications and true field of view) as you feel you need them.
I hope this helps too Joe, and the very best of regards.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
gregl
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by gregl »

Makuser wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:46 pm ...
5: And you can either buy a solar filter made for your scope, or build one yourself with the Baader mylar solar film sheets.

Here's my d.i.y solar filter. A piece of matte board from the art supply store, a piece of the Baader solar film, and, of course, duct tape. I made it for the Venus transit of 2012 and used it for the 2017 total eclipse (although binoculars provided the best view). You don't need full aperture and the off-set hole clears the central obstruction of the scope, and makes no difference in the view. The flip side of the matte board is black, which faces the inside of the scope to cut down internal reflections. I don't think it cost me ten bucks.

IMG_8112.JPG
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

A dew shield
A 32mm Plossl
An external power source or AC adapter
I think these items are pretty much a must.

Next would be a higher power EP, Maybe a 12mm
And a focal reducer to get a wider field of view
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

Steveinit
Earth Ambassador

Post by Steveinit »

Thanks for asking this. This scope is on our wishlist and look forward to hearing your experience!
Gear: Orion XT6 Dobs, Orion ST80, Bushnell 12×50 binos, 4-20×70 spotting scope of unknown origin, and at least one good enough eye.
Psalm 19
Earth Ambassador

Post by Psalm 19 »

Hello All,
Thanks to everyone who continues to help.

Lady Fraktor,
Thanks for the clarification on the eyepiece.

Makuser,
Will definitely put the chair and dew shield at the top of the list. As for the solar filter, I do have a small [Celestron Firstscope] that I found a solar filter for so I'll use it and see if I want to make one for the 8SE. I'm thinking if I can obtain a chair and power tank I'll have to wait on getting some of the other items.
greg!,
Thanks for the pictures and information. I found an article from someone else explain how they made theirs. As I replied to Makuser, I have a small scope I'll experiment with before going further.

Ylem,
What is a Plossl[?]? I've seen the term before and also Barlow, but don't know what they are other than the Barlow can/will increase magnification.

Steveinit,
You are welcome. I have the scope and hope to start sharing my experience before much longer. I actually picked it up on Monday the 15th but still haven't unpacked it yet. Seems a thing called life has delayed me.

God Bless All of You,
Joe :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupright:
Refractordude
Interdicted

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Refractordude »

Get an observation chair before any other accessory. I use a 4 inch thick cushion drum seat/medical chair.

Psalm 19
Earth Ambassador

Post by Psalm 19 »

Hi Refractordude,
Thanks for the suggestion. It is on the list right behind the power source. Sort of an 1 and 1A.
God Bless You,
Joe :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupright: >)))))*>
Smitty
Moon Ambassador

For your consideration:

Post by Smitty »

For your consideration I would highly recommend researching a remote motor focuser for your 8SE as you go along here checking out accessories. I currently have the JMI remote motor focuser installed (although Celestron now has an excellent one too) on my 8SE and I would not be without it. The greatest asset of the remote focuser is this takes away OTA shake during focusing whether for visual observing or AP. You will see soon enough what I mean with your 8SE but some observers can indeed take em' or leave em'. :think:

My 8SE is fully equipped with accessories to include an Astrozap dual channel dew heating system, dew shield, Bob's Knobs = a must if you ask most anyone, hand control caddie, finders to include an illuminated right-angle correct-image finder, that JMI remote motor focuser and vibration suppression pads are used while observing. With the help of another accessory, an RS 232 cable, I remotely control my 8SE from my laptop utilizing the FREE Stellarium app. Feel free to ask about any of these accessories and or how they are installed and used. :geek:

Good luck with your new 8SE and looking forward to your "FIRST LIGHT" report. :telescopewink:

Cheers"
TELESCOPES:
SkyWatcher 10"/250mm Collapsible Dobsonian:
Celestron 8SE:
Meade NG-60SM 60mm refractor:

GEAR/ACCESSORIES:
Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 binoculars:
ZWO ASI120MC-S Camera:

(Formerly known as "Cherokee" on AF)
Mick
Earth Ambassador

Re: For your consideration:

Post by Mick »

Smitty wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:57 am With the help of another accessory, an RS 232 cable, I remotely control my 8SE from my laptop utilizing the FREE Stellarium app.
I agree with most of what you say Smitty.
But the line quoted above might be wrong for the OP, as he/she will probably have the NexStar + hand control which uses a mini-B connector like the one in the link:

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-USB ... 866&sr=8-1
Celestron NexStar 8se, Celestron NexStar 90mak slt.
Plus growing bits and bobs.
Smitty
Moon Ambassador

Post by Smitty »

Mick wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:38 pm
Smitty wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:57 am With the help of another accessory, an RS 232 cable, I remotely control my 8SE from my laptop utilizing the FREE Stellarium app.
But the line quoted above might be wrong for the OP, as he/she will probably have the NexStar + hand control which uses a mini-B connector like the one in the link:

Mick I have the NexStar + HC and was unaware that the mini-B connector could get past the old style RJ-11 phone jack connection on the HC. :eek: :Think:
Could you please provide a "how to" link in the use of the mini-B connector with the NexStar + HC on the 8SE?
Thank you Mick"
TELESCOPES:
Celestron 8SE:

GEAR/ACCESSORIES:
ZWO ASI120MC-S Camera:

Smitty
Moon Ambassador

Post by Smitty »

Here she is all dressed up with cloudy, rainy skies prevailing on this day. :cry:
I forgot to add that I also have the Celestron Skysync GPS installed.
80441022_10219650253505367_3834603512616976384_n.jpg
TELESCOPES:
Celestron 8SE:

GEAR/ACCESSORIES:
ZWO ASI120MC-S Camera:

Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Where does one find one of those hand control bracket?
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

Smitty
Moon Ambassador

Post by Smitty »

Ylem wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:31 pm Where does one find one of those hand control bracket?
Here is a link Ylem to where I purchased mine at JMI. They are indeed pricy at $49.00 USD but I wouldn't be without it now. :o

LINK = https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... r_the.html
TELESCOPES:
Celestron 8SE:

GEAR/ACCESSORIES:
ZWO ASI120MC-S Camera:

Mick
Earth Ambassador

Post by Mick »

Smitty wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:28 pm
Mick wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:38 pm

Mick I have the NexStar + HC and was unaware that the mini-B connector could get past the old style RJ-11 phone jack connection on the HC. :eek: :Think:
Could you please provide a "how to" link in the use of the mini-B connector with the NexStar + HC on the 8SE?
Thank you Mick"
Hi Smitty, plug the mini-B connector into the bottom of the HC, then the usb connects to PC/Laptop.
Celestron NexStar 8se, Celestron NexStar 90mak slt.
Plus growing bits and bobs.
Kurbs
Earth Ambassador

Post by Kurbs »

TalentCell 6000MA power pack on Amazon for around 30 bucks. Indispensable and compact. Runs my scopes for hours and fits directly into a Celestron port. I had to get an adaptor for my Meades though. Save on batteries and keeps from spending a ton on the scope manufacturer packs.

I have about 5 of those things. Keep 1 in every case.
Engineer. Plays with astronomy to teach the grand kids and neighbor kids.

2 Celestron Evolutions 8" and 6"
2 Celestron SLT 5"MAK and 130 Reflector
Meade ETX series 70, 90, 125 UHTC
Meade DS 102 Refractor
Meade Short tube 80 Refractor
Meade LX65 with 5" MAK and 80mm short tube
Meade DSX90
Meade DSI Pro, ZWO120MC, SVNONY SV205 and SV305, and Inova NEabul Cooled CCD cams
tons of eyepieces from all walks of life
Celestron Binoviewers
Celestron WIFI, home cobbled Bluetooth wireless for remote control
Psalm 19
Earth Ambassador

Post by Psalm 19 »

Hello Smitty,
"Feel free to ask about any of these accessories and or how they are installed and used. :geek: " O.K., I'm asking. What are all of these things and how do they work?
Thanks & God Bless You,
Joe :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupright: )))))*>
John in SC
Earth Ambassador

Post by John in SC »

Following this thread closely as I am in the same situation. New Nexstar 8se, Celestron's eyepiece and filter kit, dew shield and have added the Starsense Auto Align which I am trying to get to work! (Long story, see my intro profile post).
RASA 8, EQ6-R PRO, ASI071 MC PRO, ASIAIR PRO
Smitty
Moon Ambassador

Post by Smitty »

Psalm 19 wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:27 pm Hello Smitty,
"Feel free to ask about any of these accessories and or how they are installed and used. :geek: " O.K., I'm asking. What are all of these things and how do they work?
Thanks & God Bless You,
Joe :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupright: )))))*>
80441022_10219650253505367_3834603512616976384_n.jpg
(1) One each, black in color, dew shield shower cap/dust cover: Keeps dust out of internal dew shield area while telescope is parked.

(2) Celestron Dew Shield: This helps but does not prevent dew from forming on the corrector plate while observing and yes, the corrector plate dust cover is also installed under the dew shield while the telescope is parked.

(3) Astrozap Dual Channel Dew Heating System Controller with dew heater straps: The dual channel, 4 plug input controller controls the amount of current going to the heating straps and has illuminated lights that dim or brighten to show the amount of current flowing to the straps. The straps are placed near the corrector plate of SCT's (Schmidt Cassegrain Telescopes), objective lens of finder scopes or refractor telescopes for example, to very slightly warm the area thus preventing the formation of moisture. Dew heater straps can also be placed around eyepieces to prevent moisture from forming on them ether while observing or a on deck eyepiece that is soon to be used.

(4) JMI Remote MOTOFOCUS: This is the remote motor focuser I recommended in a earlier posting here which prevents OTA shake while focusing a telescope during visual observing, astrophotography (AP), electronic assisted astronomy (EAA) and or video astronomy (VA). Celestron now has a focus motor for SCT's which is more complicated than the JMI I currently have installed on my 8SE in that it can be truly remote and comes with software so it can be controlled from a laptop or what have you.

(5) Celestron Skysync GPS: Plugs directly into the mount and updates the location and time of where my telescope mount is relieving me of inputting it into the HC (Hand Controller) each and every time I power it up to observe. Opinions vary with some feeling this is a unnecessary telescope accessory.

(6) Orion 9x50 Illuminated Right-Angle Correct Image Finder Scope & Orion EZ Finder II Reflex Sight (Red Dot Finder):
I use the two finder scope method of initial alignment for my 8SE. Basically I get near a star I have selected for my two star alignment (I like the two star alignment option) such as Polaris for example, with the EZ Finder and then move over to the RACI finder and center Polaris in the crosshairs of the illuminated reticle. This places Polaris right in the eyepiece of the telescope and speeds up my alignment process just a bit. I also use the RACI finder scope while observing to confirm the location of a target after Goto as the initial alignment may drift off a bit and not center the GoTo object in the telescope eyepiece but shows up in the wider FOV (field of view) of the RACI finder scope just fine. If a member here wants to elaborate on "Precise GoTo" please, be my guest because I'm just covering the basics to his original question to me here.

(7) 8SE Hand Controller Caddie: This is great because it places the face of the HC facing the back of the telescope where you're working and not facing off to the side during alignment for easier hands free operation especially during the alignment process. This also opens up a place from where the 8SE HC is normally stored to a place where the HC for the JMI motofocuser can be placed while observing and while the telescope is parked not in use.

I think this covers everything you were interested in and hope the information provided by me is helpful in some small way and not misguiding to you or others.

Cheers and Clear Skies,
Smitty.
TELESCOPES:
Celestron 8SE:

GEAR/ACCESSORIES:
ZWO ASI120MC-S Camera: