Pulchimerra, one of my icons from the past.

Let's see your reports!
John Baars Online Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Pulchimerra, one of my icons from the past.

Post by John Baars »

Everybody knows it and has them. Icons from the past of your observational life. I my case Pulchimerra or Izar is one of them.( Epsilon Bootis)

In the early 1990's I used to write and rewrite catalogs for a firm in binoculars in the Netherlands. It was quite nice. Each year a big box with the new models arrived at my home, with the purpose to test them and write about it in their catalogus. Some of the models weren't even ready yet and I just received the "naked" sample from the factory. My children used to call it "the happy box" I was being paid in kind. One time they decided to have a line of astronomical telescopes too. That was more writing to do than I was used to. As payment I chose a 4 inch achromatic refractor of an unknown Chinese brand.

It surely was not the best one on the market. Astigmatism and Coma were sufficiently suppressed, but spherical aberration was in the order of some 0.3 wave. And that is a bit too much, even if Astigmatism and Coma would have been zero. Strehl 0.7
I was glad to see the little companion at 200X of Pulchimerra, when seeing was good. As a matter of fact I was a bit proud of it. When seeing was less good it became hard to distinguish the smaller star as it almost disappeared in the first diffraction ring.
Have a look at the picture. This is approximately how it looked like:
Izar.jpg
Izar.jpg (2.14 KiB) Viewed 1782 times

Over the years I revisited Epsilon Bootis of course. Everyone revisits his of hers objects from the past. Nostalgia. Last monday I did another visit. Instrument was a "tad" better. Strehl 0.96 Evostar with a Pentax XO 2.58mm eyepiece. Seeing and transparency were good. I good easily establish the colors too. This is what I saw:
The attachment Izar.jpg is no longer available
Last edited by John Baars on Sat May 18, 2019 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Pulchimerra, one of my icons from the past.

Post by John Baars »

Moderator, pics seem to vanish or switch places. This is not what I meant to show. Please delete it all together. Thanks.
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Baars »

Izar comparison.jpg
Izar comparison.jpg (3.83 KiB) Viewed 1776 times

This is what I meant... :(
Kanadalainen
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Kanadalainen »

Thanks John, that story is a gem. :)
Ian

Fracs: Stellarvue 70T f6; SW 120mm Esprit f7; "Mark Mk. II" - 60 mm Tasco f6; C80 frac f 11.4
SCT: C8 Edge f10 or f7 with reducer
Dob: 14.5" homebuilt strut dob (f4.5 ZOC mirror), Nexus II, Moonlite focuser
Mounts - Ioptron Skyguider pro, Astro Physics GTO900
Cameras and lenses - ZWO 2600 mc, 290 mm mini, Canon 60D modded with Rokinon 10mm 2.8; Rokinon 135mm f2

Skysafari 6 Pro, Astro Pixel Processor, Pixinsight - using Mac tablet and ASIair pro to run the AP rig.

"Mothers! It is there!" - Rafael Gonzales-Acuna, 2018.
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Baars »

And after 30 years I discovered that I spelled the name wrongly. It is Pulcherrima. Better late than never :D