Why the "petrol filter" is the fix for light pollution

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
STEVE333 United States of America
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Why the "petrol filter" is the fix for light pollution

Post by STEVE333 »

Lokifish wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 10:30 pm I'm jealous, I have to drive about 30 or 40 miles to get to skies like yours.
Wow - I'm sorry. You must live in a big city. You would certainly be better off with 3 nm narrow band filters to fight LP like that.

Steve
Steve King: Light Pollution (Bortle 5)
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
Software: PHD2; APT; PixInsight ***** My AP website: www.steveking.pictures
Lokifish

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Lokifish »

Where I live is not all that big really, it just has almost no LP regulation. So it's LP profile is like a much larger city.
Russ
A.K.A "Backyard Observatory" on Facebook and Youtube

Meade SN8 w/ DIY coma corrector, Astro Modded Rubinar 1000/10 @f/5.2, 130/5 Newtonian, Pentax SMC 200/4, Canon SH 30/1.7
SkyWatcher EQ6-R Pro, Modified Celestron SLT
183 OSC, 224 OSC, Canon 1100D, Sony NEX-3
Nikon 7-12 zoom, a lot of DIY/salvage eyepieces
Ozypic

Post by Ozypic »

Well I've been using the diesel filter the last 6 weeks and I've gone through a few hundred litres of the stuff but I just can't seem to drive out from under all that cloud. Until last night when at 8 pm the skys cleared to show that big grinning full moon. It was like daylight all night. But I tried for some video on jupiter and the moon anyway... I dont expect much but we will see...
Phill
Phill. Dreaming of Clear Skys .... :D :D :D
SCOPE : Skywatcher 120X600 ST Achromatic Refractor. 
EP's : 25mm & 10mm Plossl , Celestron 8/24mm Zoom EP,
Filters : Solar filter, Badder Fringe Killer & Moon/Skyglow. 
MOUNT : Skywatcher Star Discovery goto Mount.
CAMERAS : ZWO 120 asi MC. / Sony HX400V 50X Zoom.
Binoculars : Saxon 10x50
AbbN
In Memory
In Memory

Post by AbbN »

helicon wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 3:33 pm They are starting to replace the old sodium vapor lights where I live with LED's. I have urged the city to put dampers on them so the light shines down only and not out into the sky, so far the powers that be have thanked me for my input, but the ongoing resolution of this potential problem is unknown at this point.
The city replaced our street lights a few years ago with LED's and now the street is brighter :x :x :x

Good luck!
Abb
TELESCOPES: Celestron Omni XLT 120, Explore Scientific AR102, Orion ST80 Refractors; 8" Skywatcher Dob; Orion Apex 102 Mak; Coronado PST. LENSES: ES 4.7, 6.7, 11, 18 and 30mm 82° EPs; Baader 24mm 68°; Luminos 15mm 82°; Meade 8-24mm Zoom. OTHER: CG4+16" Orion Pier Extension; Celestron Skymaster 20x80 binos etc;
Bortle 8 :(