Discuss astronomy books / magazines.
jrkirkham United States of America
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Exploring the Moon (Book Review)

Post by jrkirkham »

:techie-studyingbrown:
I have always been fascinated with the moon, and I recently purchased a book worth reporting about. The book is, Exploring the Moon with Robert Reeves. The Kindle version is $18. The paperback version is $40. The hardback version is $50. I bought the hardback version.

Pros:
It is 289 pages crammed full of data. It is much more comprehensive than most lunar guides. The copyright is 2023 so it is up to date. It is crammed full of some of the best lunar photography I have seen. I treat it almost like a one volume lunar encyclopedia. The Table of Contents and Index are well organized and easy to use. It appears to be well put together and should last for a long time.

Cons:
I think it is printed when ordered. The book is totally in gray scale.The paper is thick and flat (no glossy prints). My copy was delivered and left in a box on a rainy day, so there is a slight, but noticeable warp in the front cover. It is NOT a book on lunar photography. It is more for someone who wants to learn more about the moon, not someone wanting to learn how to image the moon.

Was it worth the price? Absolutely, at least it was for me. I knew the moment I opened it that I was going to learn a lot from it.
Would I recommend it? Certainly.

These are my personal views. Someone else might disagree. Has anyone else seen the book? If so, which version and what did you think of it?
Rob
Telescopes: 50mm refractor, ED80 triplet, 90mm makcass, 10" dob, 8"SCT, 11"SCT
Mounts: Celestron CGX, Orion Sirius + several camera tripods
Cameras: Canon 6D, Canon 80D, ZWO-ASI120MC
Binoculars: 10x50, 12x60, 15x70, 25-125x80
Observatory: SkyShed POD XL3 + 8x12 warm room
AL Projects Completed: Lunar #645, Outreach #0280, Universe Sampler #93-T, Binocular Messier #871, Messier #2521, Messier Honorary #2521, Constellation Hunter Northern Skies #112, Planetary Transit Venus #1, Galileo #26, Outreach Stellar 0280, Meteor Regular #157, Solar System Telescopic #209-I, Observer Award #1
AL Projects Currently in Process: Double Stars, Comet, Lunar Evolution
Lady Fraktor Online Slovakia
Articles: 0

Re: Exploring the Moon (Book Review)

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Thank you for the review Rob.
I will have to check the local bookshop for it.
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1000101)
The only culture I have is from yogurt