Compensation for a star party?

Discuss non-Astronomy related subjects. NOTE: posts are removed automatically after 365 days.
MrShorty United States of America
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Compensation for a star party?

Post by MrShorty »

I've come up against a new scenario, and I'm not sure how to best proceed? A good friend (who manages a small, rural resort) has asked if I would be interested in bringing my telescopes for a night this summer and, together, we'll host a star party for their guests. They have offered compensation, and I'm not sure what to make of that. I am happy to share my hobby as an amateur, but I'm not sure what seems fair for compensation. Have any of you ever done something like this for a resort or other private/commercial entity? What seems fair for compensation? Is it enough to simply ask for a bed to sleep in, some food to eat, and cover my transportation cost? Do you feel like your time is worth something?

I'd love to do this, so it's mostly just a matter of making sure that money doesn't get in the way. Any experiences or thoughts?
telescopes: XT6 and XT12 Dobsonians
binoculars: 15x70
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1051

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

TSS EAA Messier awards

Re: Compensation for a star party?

Post by Gordon »

I have done a few 'solar parties' and 'star parties' but they were very informal. I have never charged nor received payment, so I'm not quite sure how to answer.
If your friend is willing to put you up for a couple days at the resort that might be payment enough.
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

messier 111 Canada

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

I agree with Gordon, this has already happened to me.
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
gregl

Post by gregl »

An alternative would be to suggest instead of compensating you, to make a donation to some organization that promotes or engages in science education.
jrkirkham United States of America

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by jrkirkham »

I have been asked to host a number of informal star parties and give lectures at colleges, libraries, scouting events, school field trips, church groups, etc. I've never charged. I just figured that was part of the hobby . . .

with one exception. . .

For several years my college alma mater invited me to come and visit their astronomy classes each semester (spring, summer, fall). The schedule was similar each time. I gave a guest lecture to the astronomy classes on Thursday. Then I helped with a telescope lab on Thursday night. I spent most of Friday cleaning the observatory and working on the telescopes. On Friday night we hosted a public star party and on Saturday morning the observatory was open to the public. During the weekend I parked my camper next to the observatory and stayed out there. The professor's teaching assistants would come and help. The first time I was invited I came for free. I offered to keep coming for free, but the college usually sent me a stipend to help with the cost of gas and such.

Last week a fourth grade class asked if they could come to visit my observatory with their parents and siblings. I was happy to invite them. I'll have a little astronomy lab planned out and place them in teams of three. It is sort of like an astronomy treasure hunt. I never charge for something like that.
Rob
Telescopes: 50mm refractor, ED80 triplet, 90mm makcass, 10" dob, 8"SCT, 11"SCT
Mounts: Celestron CGX, Orion Sirius + several camera tripods
Cameras: Canon 6D, Canon 80D, ZWO-ASI120MC
Binoculars: 10x50, 12x60, 15x70, 25-125x80
Observatory: SkyShed POD XL3 + 8x12 warm room
AL Projects Completed: Lunar #645, Outreach #0280, Universe Sampler #93-T, Binocular Messier #871, Messier #2521, Messier Honorary #2521, Constellation Hunter Northern Skies #112, Planetary Transit Venus #1, Galileo #26, Outreach Stellar 0280, Meteor Regular #157, Solar System Telescopic #209-I, Observer Award #1
AL Projects Currently in Process: Double Stars, Comet, Lunar Evolution
helicon Online United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 598

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

In kind compensation like paying for room and board seems fine. I haven't really heard of any other fee based arrangements but there's always a first time. Maybe free agency is coming in the future? 🙂
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
AstroBee United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

Well, I may have a slightly different view on the subject. As a member of my local astronomy club and one time president of the club, we have done many outreach programs in Death Valley. We usually have two events each year, one in the fall and one in the winter. We also do star parties each month around the Vegas valley. We have never charged any fees for these events as we see them as part of the community outreach that is in our clubs charter.
But... I have also done many paid events where I know they are charging people to attend the event. If they are making money off the service you are providing then you should definitely be compensated. And if they are promoting the "star party" as an incentive to get people to the resort, that's the same as charging people as far as I'm concerned. Death Valley promotes itself as a dark sky site and there is one tour company that I work directly with to put on star parties. They promote the event to entice people to take their tours so I don't hesitate to charge them.
I will not discuss publicly the exact dollar amount I charge but will give you an idea of how I came up with the number. I have a fixed amount I charge for up to 20 people and then it goes up from there because with more than 20 people I will generally bring a friend along with another telescope.
First, I live in Las Vegas (Technically, Henderson, a suburb.) and it is 130 miles each way for me to travel. That's 260 round trip and I get about 300 miles per tank of gas. Right there, that's $60 out of my pocket.
Second, most of these events are weekdays and requires me to take a day off work because I have to leave mid afternoon (In the winter) to get to the location during daylight and get set up.
Third, I provide chairs for the entire group (Up to 25 people.) They are the simple folding camp chairs but there is a cost to owning 25 of them. I also usually provide a cooler full of bottled water for the group if it is during the warmer months. I don't do events in Death Valley from mid June till early Sept. because of the temps!
My events usually last 3 hours. Here's a pic of my setup
Greg M.~ "Ad Astra per Aspera"
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Mounts: Astro-Physics Mach One, iOptron CEM70EC Mount, iOptron ZEQ25 Mount.
Cameras: ZWO ASI2600mm Pro, ZWO 2600MC Pro, ZWO ASI1600mm
Filters: 36mm Chroma LRGB & 3nm Ha, OIII, SII, L-Pro, L-eXtreme
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
Software: N.I.N.A., SharpCapPro, PixInsight, PhotoShop CC, Phd2, Stellarium
https://www.nevadadesertskies.com
pakarinen United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

During my (too) many years in post-secondary academia, we normally paid travel expenses, paid for the speaker's hotel room, and paid for meals plus an honorarium. These were professional researchers and university faculty though like Bart Bok.

Personally, I'd settle for room, meals, and some gas money.
=============================================================================
Man... That's some icky-tasting stuff!
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
gregl

Post by gregl »

I’d be careful about setting a fee beyond expenses as that could lead to issues with running a business and all the regulations and legal issues that involves. Now you could set your “expenses” to include compensation beyond the actual expenses, but stating that something is a “fee" could cause a headache if something should go wrong. Calling it an “honorarium” might be wise.

I’m in a club in a different hobby and the club cannot charge the public because if they do a whole new world of problems opens up. They do ask for donations and do well with that.