Looking for first telescope

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
MattDI Great Britain
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

Looking for first telescope

Post by MattDI »

Hi all,

I’m very new to stargazing and telescopes in general, however I’m a keen physics and astronomy nerd. I am looking to get my first telescope, the only issue is I’m on a very very limited budget. I’ve seen some on EBay, but a quick google search lead me here and it tells me not to buy the one I was going to, which was the Celestron power seeker 127 EQ.

So here is where I’m at, I’d like something fairly decent, but happy to go second hand. Something I can see a fair few planets with, as closely as possible!

My budget is really only around £100, give or take a bit either side.

It doesn’t need to be something I travel with particularly. It would be nice if they were slightly smaller for space reasons, but again not massively important.

I’d be interested to hear if anyone can recommend brands, ranges or anything that could help me in the search!

Many thanks,
Matt
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Looking for first telescope

Post by JayTee »

Hi Matt,

Given your skill level and your limited budget I would highly suggest starting with a nice pair of binoculars. A 10x50 set of binoculars is a great place to start. They gather a significant amount of light, they have a wide field of view and they give you the opportunity to learn the night sky before you dive in with a telescope.

Cheers,
Last edited by JayTee on Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6R, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100 ∞ AP Gear: ZWO EAF and mini EFW and the Optolong L-eXteme filter
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Infinity and Beyond Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Unfortunately the telescope looks like a good overall package but soon lets you down from frustration trying to get it to work.

As JT mentioned above, binoculars are a very good way to start into the hobby.
10x50 are the limit for hand held size and anything larger you really need a stand to hold them steady.
With the proper accessories you can do white light solar viewing (sunspots/ surface granulation), lunar and planetary viewing, milky way and some star clusters.
Lots to see with binoculars and with the added bonus of being able to use them during the day.

If you do go this route it will build your observing skills while increasing the telescope budget.
You can look on UK astro buy & sell for used equipment, most astronomers take very good care of their gear.

In the meantime ask any questions you have and enjoy the forums and skies.
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
StarHugger United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by StarHugger »

+10 on the binos,

Better yet start rite now naked eye observing, download Stellarium or similar & paruse the software and learn the nite sky from the comfort of your arm chair in combination with visual naked eye observations,

First the forest then the trees, that way it will be way easier for you to recognise and navigate the nite sky.

Then move to the binos when they arrive and this head start will be benifitial because now you will know what to point the nocs at.

And then the telescope too...

Best of Luck !
Aaron / thestarhugger@gmail.com / Solar Kitchen Observatory / USA...

Specializing in Small Bore Multiple Wavelength Experimental Solar Imaging, Filtering & Visual Observation Since-2020

Solar Imaging Sessions 49 / Solar Observing Sessions 198
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Welcome to TSS Matt!

I will join JT and Gabby recommendation of 10x50 binoculars. Another approach is to get a spotting scope. 20-60x 60mm should be within your budget and will work better on Moon and planets than the binoculars.

Unfortunately, a decent telescope will be way out of your budget. However, you could check local pawn and charity shops.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
AstroBee United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

I'll say Binos too considering your very limited budget. You will be amazed what you can see with binos!

The biggest problem with the Celestron power seeker 127 EQ is not the telescope, it's that atrocious mount and tripod they put it on.
Here is roughly the same telescope but on a tabletop dob style mount. A MUCH better option in my opinion.
https://shop.astronomerswithoutborders. ... -telescope
Greg M.~ "Ad Astra per Aspera"
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Mounts: Astro-Physics Mach One, iOptron CEM70EC Mount, iOptron ZEQ25 Mount.
Cameras: ZWO ASI2600mm Pro, ZWO 2600MC Pro, ZWO ASI1600mm
Filters: 36mm Chroma LRGB & 3nm Ha, OIII, SII, L-Pro, L-eXtreme
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
Software: N.I.N.A., SharpCapPro, PixInsight, PhotoShop CC, Phd2, Stellarium
https://www.nevadadesertskies.com
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 593

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Binos are probably your best bet given the price level you wish to stay in. Poke around Amazon and other sites to see what you can find. 7x50 or 10x50 to start out.

Here is a Meade 80mm f/5 refractor costing around $100 U.S. You would need to spend something extra for the tripod...

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... cting.html

Meanwhile the scope Astrobee mentioned is $249 but does away with the very limited mount, offering a single fork Dobsonian configuration. This one has enough light grasp to keep you busy for awhile.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Any clubs out your way? Some have loaner scopes that would give you an opportunity to check out various scopes.

Good luck!

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein
AstroBee United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

Dave makes a very, very good point. Our club has loaner scopes that they will loan to members in good standing. All you have to do is show a proficiency in setting it up and the ability to properly care for it.
Greg M.~ "Ad Astra per Aspera"
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Mounts: Astro-Physics Mach One, iOptron CEM70EC Mount, iOptron ZEQ25 Mount.
Cameras: ZWO ASI2600mm Pro, ZWO 2600MC Pro, ZWO ASI1600mm
Filters: 36mm Chroma LRGB & 3nm Ha, OIII, SII, L-Pro, L-eXtreme
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
Software: N.I.N.A., SharpCapPro, PixInsight, PhotoShop CC, Phd2, Stellarium
https://www.nevadadesertskies.com