Post your nightscape photos here.
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

"I'm Big Ear and I'm Listening"

Post by OzEclipse »

Big-Ear-7907.jpg

I shot some pictures of the Parkes Radio Telescope, affectionately nicknamed, "The Big Ear" by astronomers due to its incredible sensitivity. I was given entry past security gates with prior permission from management. Unfortunately, though they reduced the security lighting on the radio telescope, the skies were uncooperative and completely cloudy.

So I have composited the sky taken from an open field just a few hundred metres south of the radio telescope on a previous visit at the same time of year when i didn't have permission to enter the site, with pictures taken of the radio dish on Sunday night.

After more than 60 years in operation, this is still one of the most sensitive radio telescopes on Earth and the most sensitive in the southern hemisphere. This was the first large radio dish built.

The 64m size and design was so successful it was copied many times and used to construct many other 64m radio telescopes carbon copies around the world.

Joe Cali
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)