Squeezed in a quick session- Comet Kushida ++

Let's see your reports!
OzEclipse Online Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Squeezed in a quick session- Comet Kushida ++

Post by OzEclipse »

I have been waiting for some new 1/2" stainless steel socket cap machine screws to arrive to finish off a minor refurb of my 6" f7 mounting. The old steel screws have rusted slightly because I have left the mount out in the rain for most of the past two years. The mount is mostly aluminium and brass and pretty much corrosion and weather resistant. But there are a few steel components.

In the "What have you been up to lately?" thread, I previously mentioned that I had removed the lithium grease from the bearing surfaces that made them too slippery and replaced it with a stickier dry lube that gives me better stiction on the six inch diameter friction push bearings leading to smoother push tracking of targets.

The 1/2" machine screws arrived and $%&#!!! they are American UNC threads not BSW's. I built my mount in the 1970's all tapped with BSW. Half inch BSW and UNC threads have the same pitch, 13 TPI but the thread angle on a UNC is 60 degrees, while a BSW is 55° thread angle. A 55 degree BSW male can screw into a 60 degree UNC female but not the other way around. I should be able to run a 1/2" BSW die over the UNC male thread to convert them. Meantime, I cleaned up the exisiting rust using steel brushes on my drill and reassembled the mount.
untitled shoot-3215.jpg

IMG_1576-bearing.jpg

IMG_1574.JPG

The weather report indicated perfectly clear skies until 11pm, it's mid-summer and 11pm is only 1 hr after the end of astro twilight. Then thin high cloud followed by mid-level cloud. I live in a region referred to as the SWSP(south west slopes and plains). Weather here is very predictable and over the years I have determined that the ECMWF model predicts with astonishingly accuracy.

The scope OTA was quite cool, it had been inside in the evaporatively cooled house all day. I assembled and set up the mounting at sunset.

IMG_1571.JPG
IMG_1575.JPG

During nautical twilight, I observed Jupiter. I used my recently acquired Pentax XF 6.5-19mm zoom. Interesting. When used during the day with a small refractor, the eyepiece is very sensitive to the eye being on the optical axis. On the 6" f7 reflector, it was much more forgiving. I don't have an explanation for this and will need to recheck my impressions. The seeing was very good and I had no trouble verifying that the eyepiece is sharp throughout the range from 19mm(55x) to 6.5 (161x) with nice N&S equatorial belt details and the Great Red Spot..ok the Pale Salmon Spot visible.

I removed the zoom and inserted my Denkmeier D21 [ 50x, 1.3 deg, 3mm exit pupil] and went inside for another 30mins to wait for astronomical twilight. I turned off the house white lighting and turned on the red lighting (silent running) to dark adapt my eyes. I went out at 11:00UT.

It didn't take long to star hop to the comet. It was conveniently located immediately adjacent to the Hyades.

144P finder chart.jpg

WOW. I was suddenly very glad I had dark adapted inside. The sky transparency was exceptional and the background sky was very inky black. What a pity it was going to be short lived. The coma was very faint and had very low contrast. The nucleus was extremely faint and indistinct, it was perhaps mag 12.5-13.0 and not starlike.
The coma was approx 10’ diameterwith the 6" f7.
High cloud was expected within 30 mins. By the time I started doing out of focus comparisons, the high cloud would be changing relative magnitudes compromising brightness estimates so, no brightness estimates were made.

Here is a sketch made with Photoshop of my visual impressions of 144P.
144P Kushida 20240203-1030 copy.jpg

Right on cue, the clouds started appearing in the west. Jupiter, by now much lower in the sky suddenly went diffuse an before long, I noticed the field of the comet in Taurus (low in the north) fall away and lose intensity. Orion, higher in the sky, was still clear. With the high transparency, I swung up to the Great Nebula in Orion. Ok, wow. It is a good transparency night. In the brightest side wings of the nebula I could just detect the faintest hint of pink and the loop faintly extended out and all but closed.

Cloud approaching, head south. I swung over to Eta Carina and again marvelled at the inky black in the dust lanes contrasting with the gorgeous detail in the nebula and variety of star colours in the field stars.

Time for one more. I swung up to the Large Magellanic Cloud. Rather than heading straight for the Tarantula, I took a star walk along the length of the galaxy. Telescopically, the LMC is very extensive, perhaps 6-7 degrees along the long axis. Suddenly the view faded and my night of rapid fire observing was over.

A very enjoyable if too short a night.

Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)
Bigzmey Online United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Squeezed in a quick session- Comet Kubida ++

Post by Bigzmey »

Nice session and great report Joe! I like how XF EPs perform in my binoviewer, I should give the XF zoom closer look.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Delos, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3122 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2196, S110: 77). Doubles: 2461, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 261

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Squeezed in a quick session- Comet Kushida ++

Post by OzEclipse »

Bigzmey wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 2:22 am Nice session and great report Joe! I like how XF EPs perform in my binoviewer, I should give the XF zoom closer look.
Thanks Andrey,

I'll post more testing and comparisons with fixed eyepieces when I get a longer run of clear sky time. This cloud will be on and off for a few days, after Wednesday I should be in for a longer run of clear weather. I'll try to work out why it was so sensitive to eye position in one scope and not the other.

Cheers

Joe
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)
hosshead Canada
Articles: 0

Post by hosshead »

What a very wonderful description of your heavenly journey!
Thank you for sharing!
Binoculars; Celestron Skymaster 18-40 X 80 zoom, Bushnell7-15 X 35 zoom, a couple of older single speed Bushnells that ride around in the car for weather spotting clarification
Scopes; Tiny little Mak-Cass Celestron c90 spotter scope that lets me count the moons of Jupiter and with which I can see Saturns rings in Mickey Mouse phase
Old Meade 1000mm f/11 that was missing the finder scope and ring so I rigged one onto the barrel using duct tape and a bit of cardboard and that actually works and I can count the moons of Jupiter with this one too.
Meade 6" reflector,(really elderly), found at a yard sale, the tube is a bucket of rust and corroded mirror but the mount and tripod will be recoverable so hooray for that.
Cameras; Mamiya medium format 645 with a couple of polaroid backs and a series of wide angle to 50mm lenses
Konica-Minolta 35mm,Sony alpha dslr's, up to the a900 full frame, mostly got them used because I don't have much money.
Bigzmey Online United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

OzEclipse wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 3:12 am
Bigzmey wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 2:22 am Nice session and great report Joe! I like how XF EPs perform in my binoviewer, I should give the XF zoom closer look.
Thanks Andrey,

I'll post more testing and comparisons with fixed eyepieces when I get a longer run of clear sky time. This cloud will be on and off for a few days, after Wednesday I should be in for a longer run of clear weather. I'll try to work out why it was so sensitive to eye position in one scope and not the other.

Cheers

Joe
I had a few EPs where some issues would manifest during the day but not at night. It might have to do with narrow pupil during the day.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Delos, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3122 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2196, S110: 77). Doubles: 2461, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 261
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

That's a good read Joe.

With both Kusida and Kushida around the Hyades area, I wounder if they will come to the same FOV?

Think I'll go and do a Stellarium calc!

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 598

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Great report Joe.

Thanks for documenting and sketching comet Kushida. Not an easy one to be sure! Also a nice tour of some showpieces like Eta Carinae. Congratulations on winning the VROD for the day!
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

Graeme1858 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:58 am That's a good read Joe.

With both Kusida and Kushida around the Hyades area, I wounder if they will come to the same FOV?

Think I'll go and do a Stellarium calc!

Graeme
Thanks Michael @helicon and thank you Graeme for pointing out my error. It is comet Kushida not Kubida. Now fixed in my posts. Michael Jager, a very well know German comet observer, made a typographic error in the ICQ (international Comet Quarterly) referring to it as 44P not 144P so I am in good company.

cheers

Joe
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

OzEclipse wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:18 am It is comet Kushida not Kubida.

I was wondering why I couldn't find it! 😀

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
Unitron48 United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Nice session...and reporting! I checked out 144P/Kushida for the first time last night as well!!

Congrats on your VROD recognition.

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein
kt4hx Online United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

A fine report and I particularly liked your little journey through the LMC. While on my travels I have observed the Tarantula Nebula, but the sky was bright enough that I could not discern the LMC as a distinct entity. Congrats on the VROD as well Joe.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Greenman Great Britain

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Greenman »

Congrats on the VROD Joe - nice report.
Cheers,

Tony.

Smart Scope: Dwarf II - Club and outreach work.

AP Refractor: Altair 72EDF Deluxe F6;1x & 0.8 Flatteners; Antares Versascope 60mm finder. ASIAir Pro.Li battery pack for grab & go.

Celestron AVX Mount; X-cel LX eyepieces & Barlows 2x 3x, ZWO 2” Filter holder,

Cameras: main DSO ASI533MC; DSO guide ASI120MM; Planetary ASI224MC; DSLR Canon EOS100 stock.

Filters: Astronomik IR cut; Optolong L-Pro; Optolong L-Enhance.

Binoculars: Celestron 15 x 70.

Latitude: 52.219853
Longitude: -1.034471
Accuracy: 5 m
Bortle 4 site. https://maps.google.com/?q=52.21985,-1.03447

John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Baars »

Congratulations on the VROD!
Great report!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.