Observing Report for 12 December 2023 - swimming with a sea monster

Let's see your reports!
kt4hx Online United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Observing Report for 12 December 2023 - swimming with a sea monster

Post by kt4hx »

First, let me say this has been a bit of an odd year overall, both in good and not so good ways. Observing time has not been as abundant as in previous years. A combination of bad weather conditions, rampant fires here and there that gave us the gift of smoke to obliterate the sky. Of course I would rather have the smoke than the fire, and I feel for those that had to deal with that on a personal level. Then there was the tumor that I was apparently growing on my left kidney for quite a long time, given its massive size. However, the symptoms did not manifest until this year, so they put me under the knife and yanked it outta there! So that limited my mobility for a while. On the good side, we were blessed with a new grandson, Lucas. There is always more than enough good to offset the bad.

So with this slow year, observing-wise, an opportunity with clear skies at the new moon came along and I jumped on it with both feet! Watching the sky forecasts on various sites over the weekend, I decided that Tuesday the 12th would be my chance. With that in mind I packed some of my gear in the pickup the day before, with the remainder going in that morning. I headed out late in the morning and noticed the sky at home, at least, had a nice rich blue color, even nearer the sun (while using my hand to block the eye burner!). The trip took about 3.5 hours, somewhat typical depending upon traffic of course and one for a bathroom break and to grab some quick lunch. I was a bit tired after the trip as is typical – hey I’m almost 70 now! :icon-smile: So I rested a while, and then talked with Mary on the phone. Then it was time to move out the gear I needed, set up the scope, checked collimation then returned inside to have a hot dinner and get layered up against the winter chill.

Around 1830 I headed out and aligned the finders on bright Deneb. Looking around the sky I could tell things were much better than last time since the smoke had cleared from a fire south of us over the past few weeks. Conditions were not superb, but looked pretty good. Seeing was the elephant in the great outdoors room as the higher elevation air was unsteady. I knew that might give me some issues with small dimmer galaxies. I pulled out my SQM-L meter and took three readings at zenith, and it settled in around 21.1 MPSAS. The temperature was right at freezing (32° F / 0° C). Our typical sky here has been in the 21.3 to 21.5 range. I am not sure if this drop is indicative in a slight increase in light intrusion from distant towns, or simply reduced conditions. Nonetheless, I was here and I was going to hunt galaxies – so let’s get rolling!

(Equipment used)

17.5 inch f/4.5 dobsonian manual mount
Ethos 21mm (94x, 1.1° TFOV, 4.7mm exit pupil
Ethos 13mm (152x, 0.7° TFOV, 2.9mm exit pupil)
XW 10mm (199x, 0.4° TFOV, 2.2mm exit pupil)
XW 7mm (283x, 0.2° TFOV, 1.6mm exit pupil)
Uranometria All-Sky Edition (+ red light)

12P/Pons–Brooks (Lyra, comet, mag=9.8’, coma size~4.0’):
But first, a comet! The Halley-type interloper, 12P/Pons–Brooks, is currently in Lyra less than a degree northeast of the Zeta Lyrae pair. Because Lyra was being partially blocked by the tops of the trees behind the house, I had to move the scope out a bit farther than typical in order to find this object. Anyway, after getting a clear shot at Zeta Lyrae I easily located the comet with 94x. It was somewhat bright, and the coma seemed sizeable. I noticed a compact brighter core set within the overall coma. I did not see a hint of its tail however. I tried with 152x as well, but still no tail visible. It is listed currently at about 2.5 A.U. from Earth. (New)]

After that momentary diversion, I moved my scope back to its normal position to get down to business. My main thrust for tonight would be in Cetus, so opening Uranometria to the right side of chart 158, I began my journey. I aimed the scope at mag 3.5 Beta Ceti (Deneb Kaitos) and simply went with the flow in pursuit of galaxies that have not found their place in my log – yet!

NGC 175 (Cetus, barred spiral, mag=12.2, size=2.1’x1.9’, SBr=13.5):
Originally I thought this was a new object, but I found out that I had observed it three years ago, and logged it under its other identifier, NGC 171. This was a case of duplication between William and John Herschel. When Caroline transcribed William’s data on this object she made a 1° error in declination and there is no object at the position noted. John came along and rediscovered this object and his position was correct. So in a 1912 update, Dreyer stated that the earlier discovery (NGC 171) should be stricken and only the later one (NGC 175) would apply. However, depending upon the source, one may find the object listed as one or the other.

In my case, the first time I observed it, the IDSA listed it as NGC 171, whereas this time Uranometria has it as NGC 175. So due to my own clerical error I missed that. Typically I put such duplicated IDs in my log to guard against duplicating myself, but failed in this case. Anyway, I got to see it again, and then I corrected my log! This evening at 152x it was a small and somewhat bright oval with hints of core brightness. Viewed with 199x it was quite apparent in the FOV as a diffuse elongated disk with an intermittent stellar core discerned.

NGC 177 (Cetus, spiral galaxy, mag=13.2, size=2.2’’x0.5’, SBr=13.2):
Okay, back on track now I located a little triplet of galaxies. First up was the brightest of the lot, relatively speaking of course. A little dim at 152x it presented a small oval that was smoothly illuminated. I also viewed it at 199x its appearance changed little other than being a little more apparent. (New)

NGC 172 (Cetus, barred spiral galaxy, mag=13.4, size=2.0’x0.3’, SBr=12.9):
About 5’ WSW of NGC 177 I also spotted this little oval disk that was subtly dimmer than its field mate. It also displayed a smooth and homogeneous disk, which remained pretty much the same at 199x other than being slightly more visible. (New)

NGC 168 (Cetus, spiral galaxy, mag=13.8, size=1.2’x0.2’, SBr=12.3):
The final galaxy in this little grouping was this spiral, about 8’ west of NGC 172. Definitely dimmer than the previous two, it was also smaller. It revealed a thicker oval disk that like the others was evenly illuminated. It too was slightly more apparent at 199x, but essentially gave up no further details. (New)

NGC 235 (Cetus, lenticular galaxy, mag=13.2, size=1.3’x0.7’, SBr=12.9):
PGC 2570 (Cetus, lenticular galaxy, mag=13.5, size=0.4’x0.4’, SBr=11.2):

About 1.5° southeast of the previous group of three I found another small group. First in line was NGC 235. This lenticular was fairly dim and small at 152x, and oval in shape. I was picking up a suspicion of a stellar core in its center. Using 199x the stellar core remained elusive, but the galaxy was more apparent. I also felt I was picking up an extension to the southeast of the galaxy disk. But it was subtle and left me uncertain. The atlas indicated an object labeled as NGC 235A. So I went ahead in put in the 7mm (283x) and the extension to the disk of the main galaxy was more apparent. It appeared as a pretty dim and very small little diffuse glow attached to the primary galaxy, giving it the extended appearance. After session research identified this object as PGC 2570, which is typically labeled NGC 235B (rather than “A”). So I scored a bonus object in this case. (New -2)

NGC 232 (Cetus, barred spiral galaxy, mag=13.2, size=1.0’x0.8’, SBr=13.0):
Just 2’ southwest of the previous duo, and in the same field of view, I picked up this fairly dim and small rounded glow using 152x. It appeared smoothly illuminated to the eye. With 199x it was a little more apparent, but remained a small homogenous disk. (New)

NGC 230 (Cetus, spiral galaxy, mag=14.5, size=1.2’x0.2’, SBr=12.7):
The third main galaxy in this little group was found nearly 6’ southwest of NGC 232 between a pair of field stars (11th and 13th mag). Initially with 152x, the galaxy was merely a suspicion of a frail diffuse glow. Then at 199x it was confirmed as a very dim and homogeneous thin oval puff of light. It was more apparent at 283x, though still quite dim overall. (New)

NGC 253 (Sculptor, spiral galaxy, mag=7.2, size=27.5’x6.8’, SBr=12.7):
Since I was only about 2° northwest of this showpiece galaxy while observing the previous little grouping of galaxies, I decided to dip down into Sculptor and take a quick look. Easily seen in the 8x50 RACI finder, I dropped in the 21mm (94x) and even under less than pristine conditions, this galaxy never disappoints. It was richly mottled across its very large disk. Its core was soft and broadly brighter within the overall halo. At 152x its envelope had an extreme curdled look of uneven brightness across its surface. A dark lane was very visible, and its core continued to have a soft, gentle brightness. It pretty much stretched across the entire 0.7° TFOV of the eyepiece. Such a gorgeous object indeed!

PGC 3674 (Cetus, spiral galaxy, mag=14.9, size=0.7’x0.3’, SBr=13.6):
Star hopping northeast from NGC 253, I found my next target, this very dim spiral just 8’ NNW of the mag 8.1 star HD 6079. Studying the field for its presence using 152x, I only had a weak suspicion of a very dim and small diffuse object, but I was uncertain. Moving up to 199x I was able to confirm the presence of this object in the view, but it was very dim and small, just barely there. Going ahead to 283x I was able to pick up a small and pretty dim little diffuse oval glow, but it was certainly a weak presence.

Initially I thought I had observed NGC 344, as is indicated in Uranometria. However, in researching this object after the fact, I found that NGC 344 is actually of mag 16.1, and its position is not as shown in the atlas. This was caused by a mis-identification in the RNGC (Revised NGC) and the ESO (European Southern Observatory) catalogues. Noted observer Steve Gottlieb mentions this discrepancy in his NGC/IC Notes web site. Unfortunately this error then found its way into the atlas, where I happened upon it. (New)

NGC 320 (Cetus, spiral galaxy, mag=13.5, size=0.9’x0.5’, SBr=12.5):
About 2.5° NNW of the previous object I scored my next one. Found with 152x it revealed a fairly small and dim rounded disk with a possible stellar core at its heart. It was also viewed with 199x and 283x, and while it was a little more apparent at each step, it remained a dim object. Its core remained elusively stellar. (New)

NGC 829 (Cetus, spiral galaxy, mag=13.5, size=1.2’x0.8’, SBr=13.2):
Turning over to chart 139-right in Uranometria I next targeted another trio of galaxies farther into eastern Cetus. Using 152x I picked up all three in the field of view and working west to east, this spiral was first up. It revealed a small and dim oval disk that was diffuse in general appearance, with a stellar core at its center. Viewed with 199x it was more apparent overall and its stellar core stood out nicely. (New)

NGC 830 (Cetus, lenticular galaxy, mag=13.3, size=1.4’x0.8’, SBr=13.1):
Only about 4’ ENE of the previous object was this similarly looking object. Subtly brighter than its field mate, it was still dim and small. It also sported a stellar core at its heart, but was otherwise fuzzy in appearance. More apparent at 199x, its core was stronger visually as a tiny little diamond twinkle within the haze. (New)

NGC 842 (Cetus, spiral galaxy, mag=12.7, size=1.6’x0.9’, SBr=12.6):
The final galaxy in this little triplet was another spiral, positioned about 13’ east of NGC 830. The brightest of the lot, it was still a little faint in the field, presenting small though subtly larger oval disk. Its diffuse appearance was punctuated by a tiny stellar core like the other two. Easily more apparent at 199x, it remained a little to the faint side overall thought easily seen. (New)

NGC 809 (Cetus, lenticular galaxy, mag=13.5, size=1.2’x0.6’, SBr=13.0):
This lenticular galaxy was next on the hit list, almost 1.5° southwest of NGC 829. It displayed a small and dim oval envelope, with some subtle core brightness at 152x. Moving to 199x it was more apparent though still dim, its core displaying a modest increase in non-stellar brightness. (New)

NGC 1018 (Cetus, lenticular galaxy, mag=13.7, size=1.0’x0.6’, SBr=12.6):
Slipping closer to the Cetus-Eridanus border, my next target was yet another lenticular. Swept up using 152x I spotted a small and fairly dim diffuse oval disk, that appeared homogenous. With 199x it was slightly more apparent though remained weak visually, and evenly illuminated. (New)

NGC 1033 (Cetus, spiral galaxy, mag=13.3, size=1.3’x1.1’, SBr=13.4):
About 1° NNE from the previous object I began working my way through a scattered grouping of galaxies. The most southern was this spiral which appeared as a small and dim rounded homogenous disk at 152x. It looked about the same at 199x, appearing faint and smoothly illuminated. (New)

NGC 1052 (Cetus, elliptical galaxy, mag=10.5, size=3.0’x2.1’, SBr=12.5):
Moving my eyes around the group’s field, I of course noticed the brightest of them and namesake of the NGC 1052 Group. I had previously observed this one 7 years ago at home (then B5) with 12 inch dob. It was the only one of the group that I picked up at that time. Looking at it with 152x it was bright and subtly large. A thick oval disk, it contained a strong stellar core. Using 199x it was strongly obvious and clearly the dominant galaxy in the field of view. It now displayed an inner lens of brightness into which its prominent stellar core was pinned. This was a beautiful galaxy that was a welcome relief after so many dimmer ones.

NGC 1047 (Cetus, lenticular galaxy, mag=14.3, size=1.3’x1.0’, SBr=14.4):
Just 10’ northwest of NGC 1052 I picked up this elusive little object using 152x. It appeared pretty dim, small and smooth. Even at 199x it remained a pretty weak object to the eye. (New)

NGC 1035 (Cetus, spiral galaxy, mag=12.2, size=2.2’x0.7’, SBr=12.6):
Just over 15’ west of the previous object I located this spiral. With 152x it appeared somewhat bright with a very thin elongated envelope. I noticed a very dim field star at its southeastern end. I was picking up a sense of unevenness across its thin disk. Using 199x it was very obvious in the general field and the uneven brightness distribution seemed more pronounced in the northwestern half of the galaxy. More curious about its appearance I went ahead to 283x and I was now getting a vague sense of lumpiness in its structure which I attribute to varying levels of dustiness in the arms. (New)

NGC 1042 (Cetus, spiral galaxy, mag=11.0, size=4.7’x3.6’, SBr=13.9):
I now turned my attention to the second brightest galaxy in the NGC 1052 Group, which lay almost 15’ southwest of the group’s namesake. Easily seen at 152x it presented a large and bright rounded disk that was very diffuse and of lower surface brightness. There seemed to be a very dim star at the southeastern edge. Viewed with 199x it was quite ghostly in appearance, and smoothly illuminated. (New)

NGC 1048 (Cetus, barred spiral galaxy, mag=14.1, size=1.0’x0.2’, SBr=12.8):
About 7’ SSE of the previous galaxy I picked up this very small and fairly dim little dust bunny using 152x. It appeared as a smooth and diffuse small oval. While more apparent at 199x, it remained a weak visual object.

In reality this is a double system comprised of PGC 10140 (north) and PGC 10137 (south). However, due to poor seeing I was only able to distinguish them as a single combined glow. Typically the combination of the two is considered the single NGC object, though each is considered its own entity in more exhaustive catalogues such as the PGC and MCG. (New)

NGC 1069 (Cetus, spiral galaxy, mag=13.7, size=1.5’x1.0’, SBr=14.0):
About 28’ east of NGC 1052 I picked up this dim galaxy. With 152x it was a small homogeneous rounded disk. While a little more apparent at 199x it remained small and dim, and evenly illuminated across its envelope. (New)

NGC 1064 (Cetus, spiral galaxy, mag=13.7, size=1.1’x0.9’, SBr=13.5):
Just over half a degree ENE of the mag 5.8 field star HD 16673, I located this spiral just south of an 11th mag star. At 152x it presented a small and dim evenly illuminated oval disk. It was slightly more apparent at 199x, though it remained a weak visual target. (New)

NGC 991 (Cetus, barred spiral galaxy, mag=11.7, size=2.9’x2.5’, SBr=13.7):
Just under 1.5° WNW of bright NGC 1052 I picked up the bright field star 80 Ceti (mag 5.5). Turning my attention north of this star, I located this galaxy using 152x and found it somewhat large and of low surface brightness. It had a ghostly appearance. While more apparent at 199x, it remained a very soft diaphanous object. (New)

NGC 1010 (Cetus, spiral galaxy, mag=14.1, size=0.9’x0.9’, SBr=13.6):
NGC 1011 (Cetus, elliptical galaxy, mag=14.3, size=0.6’x0.6’, SBr=12.9):
NGC 1017 (Cetus, spiral galaxy, mag=13.9, size=0.7’x0.6’, SBr=12.8):

Nudging southward I picked up mag 4.8 Epsilon Ceti. About 1° NNW of this star I located a little clutch of three dim galaxies. Working west to east NGC 1010 was first in line. This spiral also carries the identifier of NGC 1006 due to a duplicate discovery that found its way into the NGC. The middle one was NGC 1011 while NGC 1017 held down the eastern end of the line. All three were observed using 152x in the same field of view and looked similar. All were fairly dim round dust bunnies that were smoothly illuminated across their respective little disks. Viewing with 199x they were all a little more apparent, but all were still weak in their little conga line. (New-3)

NGC 1013 (Cetus, lenticular galaxy, mag=14.0, size=1.2’x0.7’, SBr=13.5):
Almost half a degree south of the group of three, and almost 9’ southwest of the double star HD 16454 (mag 8.2) and HIP 12279 (mag 8.3) I located this lenticular. Picked up using 152x it presented a small and fairly dim diffuse rounded glow. As is typical, while more apparent at 199x, it remained a weak visual treat. (New)

NGC 981 (Cetus, spiral galaxy, mag=13.9, size=1.0’x0.5’, SBr=13.0):
West of the little group of three (NGCs 1010, 1011, 1017) I located this spiral. It was just over a degree west of NGC 1010, and at 152x presented a small and dim homogeneous oval disk. Though not difficult in the least to discern, it remained dim and small at 199x as well. (New)

NGC 977 (Cetus, spiral galaxy, mag=13.5, size=1.7’x1.4’, SBr=14.2):
North of the last object, about 13’, I located this spiral. Easily found with 152x, it appeared as a small and dim thick oval disk. It was smooth and even across its envelope. The object remained dim at 199x, but I did pick up an intermittent stellar core winking at me from the center of its disk. (New)

IC 247 (Cetus, barred spiral galaxy, mag=14.0, size=1.1’x0.9’, SBr=13.7):
It was now around 2200 hours and frankly I was chilled and tired, so I made this my last object for the evening. Moving back to Epsilon Ceti, I looked to its northeast. About 12’ from the bright star, I was catching a suspicion of a dim and diffuse little glow at 152x. Going to 199x I confirmed the object as a small and fairly dim rounded homogeneous disk. I did drop in the 7mm (283x) and though it remained a weak object overall, it was more apparent to the eye. (New)

At this point I had been at it over three hours and in the cold country air I was getting a little chilled to the bone despite my layers. The body trying to stay warm expends energy and adds to the general fatigue of the trip over as well. With the mind being distracted by tiredness and discomfort, this reduces the cognitive and observing capabilities. So I decided it was time to call it a night, head indoors to warm up and get comfortable for a bit of rest. After all, I still had another night of galaxy hunting tomorrow evening. So thank you for coming along on my night sky journey, and I wish you good fortune and clear skies. See you tomorrow evening for another round of my favorite pastime. :icon-smile:
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Bigzmey Online United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Observing Report for 12 December 2023 - swimming with a sea monster

Post by Bigzmey »

Excellent! Glad that skies are cooperating. Looks like you will finish this observing year with a bang, Alan.

I managed a session yesterday, but the forecast has tricked me and I was chaiced in by clouds just one hour into observing. Still better than nothing. :)
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Delos, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3122 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2196, S110: 77). Doubles: 2461, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 261

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Bigzmey wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:37 pm Excellent! Glad that skies are cooperating. Looks like you will finish this observing year with a bang, Alan.

I managed a session yesterday, but the forecast has tricked me and I was chaiced in by clouds just one hour into observing. Still better than nothing. :)

Thank you Andrey. Yeah it went well despite the weak seeing. The second night went slightly better, so a good trip overall.

Glad you managed to get something in before the clouds decided you'd had enough! :icon-smile:
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
helicon Online United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 597

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Great session Alan viewing the celestial whale/sea monster and pulling in a tremendous haul of galaxies from the IC, PGC, and NGC catalogs. Glad that the weather conditions have finally turned. Let's all hope that 2024 is a better one for visual observation, and congrats on earning the VROD for the day!

viewtopic.php?p=260975#p260975
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
messier 111 Canada
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

nice read , congrat on the vrod , thx .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

helicon wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:13 pm Great session Alan viewing the celestial whale/sea monster and pulling in a tremendous haul of galaxies from the IC, PGC, and NGC catalogs. Glad that the weather conditions have finally turned. Let's all hope that 2024 is a better one for visual observation, and congrats on earning the VROD for the day!

viewtopic.php?p=260975#p260975

Thank you Michael, the recognition is very much appreciated. I totally agree - I hope this coming year is a vast improvement in terms of observing conditions!

messier 111 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:13 pm nice read , congrat on the vrod , thx .

Thank you so much Jean-Yves.
Alan

John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Baars »

What a great session.
Thanks for your very nice report!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

John Baars wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:07 pm What a great session.
Thanks for your very nice report!

Thank you John, very much appreciated.
Alan

Unitron48 Online United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Quite the haul, Alan! Congrats on your VROD!!

Wishing you and your family a very Merry Christmas.

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein
Lady Fraktor Slovakia

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Really nice report Alan, I enjoyed following along. :)
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1000101)
The only culture I have is from yogurt

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Unitron48 wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 2:43 am Quite the haul, Alan! Congrats on your VROD!!

Wishing you and your family a very Merry Christmas.

Dave

Thank you Dave. I hope you all have a very Merry Christmas and a terrific New Year!

Lady Fraktor wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 5:01 am Really nice report Alan, I enjoyed following along. :)

Thank you Gabrielle. We wish you and your family a Merry Christmas and all the best for the coming New Year!
Alan