New to all of this

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
JoeG United States of America
Articles: 0

New to all of this

Post by JoeG »

Hi all, thanks for letting me in here.
I haven't looked around yet & I definitely will, so forgive me if my question(s) have already been addressed & maybe point me to where they have been answered if you would.
I have been looking through a small refelector scope for a long time (20 + yrs), never doing much other than catching glimpses of the moon, Saturn & Jupiter with an occasional picture of the moon with the use of a cell phone adapter...etc.
I just bought an Orion AstroView 102mm Refractor & EQ mount & was hoping to eventually get some sort of goto device to help guide me around the sky. Is that something I can buy as just the motorized drive/add-on, or is it a whole new mount? Also, are they all really $500 - 1000 & up? Because I just paid close to $700 for what I have & may have to just use it as is.
Either way I'm sure it's going to be amazing exploring space. Just looking for some guidance. Thanks in advance for any help

Joe
helicon Online United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 598

TSS Awards Badges

Re: New to all of this

Post by helicon »

Hi Joe and Welcome to the forums.

When I bought my 102 mm Celestron refractor I happened to already have a Twilight II mount. Spent about $350 on the Optical Tube Assembly (OTA). Poke around for a bit and see what you can find. Meanwhile folks more knowledgeable about mounts and GOTO will chime in I'm sure.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Gordon Online United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1051

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

TSS EAA Messier awards

Post by Gordon »

Hi Joe,
Welcome to TSS.

Orion does make a kit to motorize the EQ-13 mount. https://www.telescope.com/Orion/Orion-T ... 137399.uts
This should help you to get some planetary and lunar images. For the price, it's a great start. Spend some time gaining skills and practice with this setup up then if you want to dive deeper into the hobby, I would recommend a better mount.
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

messier 111 Online Canada

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

hi and welcome to TSS .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
Bigzmey Online United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Welcome on board Joe!
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Delos, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3122 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2196, S110: 77). Doubles: 2461, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 261
StarBru United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

Post by StarBru »

Welcome to TSS, Joe.

If you wish to make your mount into a Go To, there's a company out of Ukraine called Astro-Gadget that makes several kits that will attach to your mount, starting at $169 for the Simple Dream version and I believe a more advanced model, EQStarEQ-3 that will fit your Astroview mount for around $269. Shipping is less than $25 extra on either one.

https://astro-gadget.net/gadgets/contro ... ledreameq3

I don't know much about the company, nor do I have any experience with their products, but it looks like a pretty good deal to me. Maybe somebody else here on TSS knows more about them.
Bruce

Refractors: Meade AR-5 127mm f/9.3, Meade ST-80 f/5 and Meade 60mm f/12, Jason 60mm f/15 #313, Jason 60mm f/12 #306 S7, Bushnell Sky Chief III 60mm f/15.
Reflectors/Catadioptrics: Meade 10" F/4 Schmidt-Newtonian, Galileo 120mm f/8.3 Newtonian, Meade 2045D 4" f/10 SCT, Meade ETX-90EC f/13.8 & Sarblue 60mm f/12.5 Maksutov-Cassegrains.
Mounts: Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro & Meade LXD55 Equatorial mounts, ES Twilight II and Meade 2102 ALT/AZ mounts, a modified 10" SkyQuest Dobsonian mount, various 60mm EQ mounts.
Misc: Celestron 20x80mm binoculars, Revolution II Imager/accessories, & lots of optical accessories/eyepieces.
Projects: 8" f/2.9 and 65mm f/10 reflectors, Dobson-style binocular mirror mount.
Lady Fraktor Slovakia

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Hello and welcome Joe :)
Do you have a Orion EQ-13 or a different mount?
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1000101)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
SkyHiker United States of America

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by SkyHiker »

StarBru wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:51 pm Welcome to TSS, Joe.

If you wish to make your mount into a Go To, there's a company out of Ukraine called Astro-Gadget that makes several kits that will attach to your mount, starting at $169 for the Simple Dream version and I believe a more advanced model, EQStarEQ-3 that will fit your Astroview mount for around $269. Shipping is less than $25 extra on either one.

https://astro-gadget.net/gadgets/contro ... ledreameq3

I don't know much about the company, nor do I have any experience with their products, but it looks like a pretty good deal to me. Maybe somebody else here on TSS knows more about them.
I bought an EQ drive from Astro-Gadget once. It had WiFi, BlueTooth, a simple hand controller, came with brackets and steppers for my G11S. I had trouble with it and ended up not using it but that was probably more due to the G11S than the Astro-Gadget EQ drive. I just didn't realize it because there were too many points of failure. The developer/CEO, Alex, is great to work with. I recommend trying it. There will be a substantial delay of several weeks, at the least, in the mail because the company is in Ukraine.

BTW your mount does not look solid enough to spend a whole lot of money trying to improve it with goto. It looks like an EQ-3 level mount, I would not try making it a goto. EQ-4 would be a better starting point.

Gordon pointed out a solution to make it track; I don't think it is a goto.

If you like building your own Arduino open source code controlled drive assembling the steppers and their drivers yourself, DIY, you can take a look at OnStep. That is what I am using now, it is quite good. I'm not saying perfect until I get to 0.5" RMS total, which I generally don't. But for your mount it should be more than good enough. This is generally a cheap solution is you can deal with the headache of building and flashing it.

But if you just want to find objects there may be a simpler way - not goto but push-to. You add an electronic device that will tell you in which direction to push your scope to get to the target. There are various kinds.

Perhaps one of the easiest is SkEye, a free app on Android cell phones. I would try that first because it is free. The gotcha is that perhaps the magnetic sensors are sensitive to any steel parts nearby but give it a try. It will let you calibrate the push-to by using multiple calibration stars, just like a goto mount.

Next up is probably the Celestron StarSense, which uses plate solving. That is super accurate because it recognizes the star patterns and matches it to its internal map. You can probably use it without buying it, but you may need to mount a mirror. I don't know if you can buy it without buying a Celestron scope that has it.

Another solution is the PiFinder that anyone can use but it is so expensive that you might want to spend that money towards a goto mount.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Juno16 United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Hi Joe and welcome to TSS!

it is great to have you here!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
JayTee United States of America
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Hello Joe,

Welcome to TSS. Glad you joined us.

Cheers,
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6R, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100 ∞ AP Gear: ZWO EAF and mini EFW and the Optolong L-eXteme filter
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

jrkirkham United States of America

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by jrkirkham »

:text-welcomewave: Welcome to TSS.
Rob
Telescopes: 50mm refractor, ED80 triplet, 90mm makcass, 10" dob, 8"SCT, 11"SCT
Mounts: Celestron CGX, Orion Sirius + several camera tripods
Cameras: Canon 6D, Canon 80D, ZWO-ASI120MC
Binoculars: 10x50, 12x60, 15x70, 25-125x80
Observatory: SkyShed POD XL3 + 8x12 warm room
AL Projects Completed: Lunar #645, Outreach #0280, Universe Sampler #93-T, Binocular Messier #871, Messier #2521, Messier Honorary #2521, Constellation Hunter Northern Skies #112, Planetary Transit Venus #1, Galileo #26, Outreach Stellar 0280, Meteor Regular #157, Solar System Telescopic #209-I, Observer Award #1
AL Projects Currently in Process: Double Stars, Comet, Lunar Evolution
OzEclipse Online Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

Hi Joe,
Welcome to TSS. You've had some great advice already. One question for you.

You said you already had a small reflector. I'm assuming it's about 4 inches aperture. Why did you buy a refractor with the same aperture? You won't see much more with a refractor of similar aperture as you reflector and on a small mount, I'm guessing the eyepiece will be in an uncomfortably low position when looking overhead.

If you eventually decide to buy a new mount, consider buying something a bit bigger on a tallish tripod so that you can have a comfortable observing position. It might sound a bit pedantic but it's important. When observing deep sky or planets or even the Moon, a comfortable observing position allows for extended periods of observations. When you spend a long time at the eyepiece, you catch periods of atmospheric stability (good seeing) which allows you to see more detail. Looking at faint objects for extended periods, you will pick out faint details you don't see with a brief glance.

Joe Cali
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)

Post by JoeG »

Lady Fraktor, yes it's an Orion EQ-13.
Lady Fraktor Slovakia

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Since you are the first person here to be using one, I would like to hear your impressions of the mount if you feel like posting them.
I made a posting in the mounts sub-forum about these when they first became available.
The amount of manual EQ mounts is getting very small unfortunately.
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1000101)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
Ylem Online United States of America

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Welcome to TSS Joe, thanks for joining us! :)
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

Post by JoeG »

Oz Eclipse, I may have made an ignorant mistake in buying this scope. Admittedly, I know little to nothing about telescopes. As mentioned I had the reflector, but in what little research I did, I found that reflectors require a but more care & maintenance (collimation) & I thought I'd get the refractor to get around all that.
But I took my telescope out last night because I saw Saturn & figured I'd take a look & I was quite disappointed. Possibly due to me not knowing what I was doing, but I tried the 25mm with & without the 2x Barlow & then the 10mm the same way & I couldn't see more than a bright blob.
My old reflector I at least saw the shape of an orb with a ring (not clear, but you could tell what it was).
I'm debating returning it while I can & saving up for something bigger/better. I don't know.
John Baars Online Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Baars »

Hi Joe, welcome here!
JoeG wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:15 pm But I took my telescope out last night because I saw Saturn & figured I'd take a look & I was quite disappointed. Possibly due to me not knowing what I was doing, but I tried the 25mm with & without the 2x Barlow & then the 10mm the same way & I couldn't see more than a bright blob.
Being the owner of a reflector, I assume you have tried all kinds of ways to focus? You have to use the diagonal too. ( this is probably new to you) Without it the view will be a blur. You can test this in daylight on a very far away object. If you still have a blurred view you can consider sending it back.
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
Thefatkitty Online Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Thefatkitty »

Hi Joe and welcome to TSS :D When I read your post about views of Saturn being blurry my first thought was what John Baars mentioned.

As for your reflector, you have me curious... Is there a label similar to this near the focuser? I'b be curious as to the specs of it. I've had a lot of experience with smaller reflectors.

Image4.jpg
Image4.jpg (56.14 KiB) Viewed 1336 times

No need to post a photo, just the numbers :D

All the best and again welcome,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
🇨🇦Member of the RASC
The Wave Catcher United States of America

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by The Wave Catcher »

JoeG wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:15 pm Oz Eclipse, I may have made an ignorant mistake in buying this scope. Admittedly, I know little to nothing about telescopes. As mentioned I had the reflector, but in what little research I did, I found that reflectors require a but more care & maintenance (collimation) & I thought I'd get the refractor to get around all that.
But I took my telescope out last night because I saw Saturn & figured I'd take a look & I was quite disappointed. Possibly due to me not knowing what I was doing, but I tried the 25mm with & without the 2x Barlow & then the 10mm the same way & I couldn't see more than a bright blob.
My old reflector I at least saw the shape of an orb with a ring (not clear, but you could tell what it was).
I'm debating returning it while I can & saving up for something bigger/better. I don't know.
Hi Joe,

If your 102 mm refractor is an achromat, it may be suffering from chromatic aberration at powers high enough to view Saturn well. One of my telescopes, my Bresser AR102s 102 mm refractor, was designed for low power views of comets. Saturn was a blob. However, I made a 60 mm aperture mask made from a plastic yogurt lid cleared it up perfectly, enough to see the Cassini Gap clearly. You might try an aperture mask to see if it clears things up for you.

Steve Yates

Astro-Tech AT102ED, 102 mm, F/7, ED Achromatic Refractor
Astro-Tech AT80ED, 80 mm, F/7, ED Achromatic Refractor
Bresser AR102s, 102 mm, f/4.5, Achromatic Refractor

Explore Scientific Twilight I Alt/Az Mount
Bresser Nano Alt/Az Mount
Richard South Africa

Post by Richard »

Welcome to TSS Joe , well we dont know what size your 'old' reflector is , a 4.5 inch or 114mm is not such a small scope , when mounted on an EQ mount , you have been using it 20 odd years so is it 20 Years old ?
Your new scope a 102 refractor is a fine scope , I personally thing they are the sweet spot and should be much better than same size any other design if made well, I used to have a 102 Skywatcher refractor and was a dog , similar problems to what you say the CA was just too much for all the bright planets , but if you get a good one , I had 3 a WO 80 ed , Tasco 10-te and a Tasco 7-te , all fantastic
I dont have any refractors as I prefer compound scopes as they travel easier as my LP stops me from doing much at home
Reflectors GSO 200 Dobs
Refractors None
SCT C5 on a SLT mount
Mak 150 Bosma on a EQ5