A night out under the summer Milky Way

Let's see your reports!
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

A night out under the summer Milky Way

Post by OzEclipse »

I have been working on a number of non-astronomy projects and suffering persistent back pain lately so I haven't been doing much telescopic observing. Last night I slept early then went out at 2am for a morning of Leonid spotting. Leonids don't present high hourly rates at my mid-southern latitude but always worth a try.

Equipment
Reclining camp chair, allows me to lay back
10x42 APO binoculars
Water resistant bluetooth speaker streaming from the house
Camera tripod, Full frame DSLR, 14mm lens

The night was incredible. It was cool, not cold, so I was quite comfortable in a pair of track pants, fleece shirt and jacket.

With my naked eye, the Milky Way through Taurus, Monoceros, Orion, Canis Major, and Gemini was glowing, absolutely awash with stars, dark dust lanes threaded through the sea of faint stars like an incredible cosmic tapestry. It was hard to find anywhere without stars but when I did, the sky was black. I stayed out 2.5 hrs until 4:30 am local time. I dozed off a few times. I only saw three meteors but all three were magnificent bright fireballs, one was perhaps magnitude -5, covered a 70 deg arc and left a persistent vapour trail. All three trailed back to the radiant so i think they were genuine Leonids and Leonids are known to produce fireballs.

Naturally, all three fireballs I observed missed the frame of my camera field. Sometimes you just have to watch.

Ironically, I did manage to catch one but didn't notice it visually.
BM-20231118-6886 copy.jpg

Overall a very pleasant night out under the summer Milky Way.

Joe Cali
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)
messier 111 Canada
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Re: A night out under the summer Milky Way

Post by messier 111 »

very pleasant read , thx .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
Bigzmey Online United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Sounds like a nice relaxing session Joe. I love those morning meteor shower comfy chair sessions even if they are hit and miss.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Delos, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3122 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2196, S110: 77). Doubles: 2461, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 261
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

That sounds like a really nice outing Joe. Being able to just lay back and enjoy the richness of the Milky Way with some meteors thrown in for good measure sounds like a cathartic experience to me! Very well done, and in my book warrants a VROD.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

kt4hx wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:08 pm That sounds like a really nice outing Joe. Being able to just lay back and enjoy the richness of the Milky Way with some meteors thrown in for good measure sounds like a cathartic experience to me! Very well done, and in my book warrants a VROD.
Thanks Alan,

The original 1970's mount of my 6"f7 is mostly machined cast aluminium. A few parts like shafts and the pier are steel. No drive or electronics. As such it's virtually weatherproof and I just leave the mount set up outside all the time with a plastic bag over it. . All I have to do is throw the OTA on and I'm in business.

However, I knew if I set up a scope I would be looking in not be looking up. Leonids are always few and far between. The reclining camp chair is an essential piece of equipment IMO to keep you looking up.
reclining-camp-chair copy.jpg

As it was, I missed the one in the photo that must have been in my peripheral vision in the southeast when I was scanning northwest. I saw a really nice little mini pulse of meteors one night a couple of years ago, possibly Orionids. Over an hour and a half I probably saw 25. That particular night I was sitting out with the scope while doing astrophotography

I have a friend who I've known since teenage - 45 years. He's constantly boasting about all his fancy gear, how he sets up a sequence late afternoon, then goes inside and makes dinner and watches TV , then goes to bed while the observatory does all the acquisition unattended then shuts the roof if it starts raining or when his run is finished. For mine, he's lost the magic of being out under the stars. It's all just a production schedule to him. He doesn't even have the motivation to process most of his data. For all the automation, all the bluster, he produces maybe 2 images a year.

I still take great joy particularly on those high transparency nights. The photo I inserted in the report did not even go close to doing justice to the naked eye sky that night. I particularly enjoyed it because we've had a lot of poor transparency clear nights lately. I think it's pollen in the air from canola crops during certain parts of spring. So when I get a night like this, I'm definitely going to enjoy it.

Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

I am in full agreement with you Joe. For me, communing with the night sky at a personal level is a truly visceral experience. To purposely deprive oneself of that opportunity is simply beyond my ability to understand. But then again, some folks think I am nuts! :confusion-shrug:
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)