Trip to Yerkes Observatory in Wisconsin...

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
ewomack United States of America
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Trip to Yerkes Observatory in Wisconsin...

Post by ewomack »

Recently, I visited the amazing Yerkes Observatory in Williams Bay, Wisconsin. Built in 1897, it once housed a school staffed and attended by some of the most famous names in early 20th century astronomy, including Morgan, Hale, Kuiper, and Hubble. Nancy Roman also worked there (she is now "immortalized" in the "Women of NASA" Lego set). Even Einstein visited for 4 hours in 1921. Their library contained a book, "Practical Astronomy," from 1948 that still contained the checkout card signed by Carl Sagan on October 21, 1956. The tour guide claimed that William Morgan had determined the shape of the Milky Way in the building. They also had amazing historical astrophotography samples of Saturn, the Horse Head nebula, eclipses, and galaxies (interns will apparently start digitizing the observatory's some 180,000 images soon). The building itself contained numerous carved gargoyles and caricatures throughout its exterior. For early 20th century astronomy, it sounded like the place to be.

Yerkes_01.jpg

Yerkes_04.jpg

They claim to still have the world's largest refracting telescope, weighing 6 tons with a 40-inch diameter lens (others have claimed it's the largest working refractor, and a larger one of 50 inches exists in France, but not currently operational). It's quite a thing to behold in person. Given the space constraints, it proved difficult to get into a single photograph. Another person on the tour and I tried to calculate its magnification and it came out to something like 497.33, which was smaller than we both thought. Or we both calculated it incorrectly the same way independently, which remains another possibility. Though huge, it's still an old telescope and definitely now behind the times.

Yerkes_02.jpg

The floor of the large observatory also raised and lowered by motor, so we rose slowly upwards to see the telescope up close. This allowed a better look at the eye piece and the immense finder scope (I will probably never own a telescope as large as that finder scope).

Yerkes_03.jpg

Though a little off the main highways, the building itself and its history proved well worth the extra drive time. Even people who don't have an interest in astronomy would probably find the building, the grounds and the huge dome of interest. One person on the tour knew nothing about astronomy, he had come only to take pictures. It was a fantastic visit, one I would happily do again. They plan to hold star parties and viewing parties in the future. They will apparently post dates on their website: https://yerkesobservatory.org/ I may try to attend one of these if I can manage it.
AstroBee United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Trip to Yerkes Observatory in Wisconsin...

Post by AstroBee »

Great story! Such a beautiful instrument too.
Greg M.~ "Ad Astra per Aspera"
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Mounts: Astro-Physics Mach One, iOptron CEM70EC Mount, iOptron ZEQ25 Mount.
Cameras: ZWO ASI2600mm Pro, ZWO 2600MC Pro, ZWO ASI1600mm
Filters: 36mm Chroma LRGB & 3nm Ha, OIII, SII, L-Pro, L-eXtreme
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
Software: N.I.N.A., SharpCapPro, PixInsight, PhotoShop CC, Phd2, Stellarium
https://www.nevadadesertskies.com
Michael131313 Mexico

Post by Michael131313 »

Thanks very much for your interesting report. I had not heard of that observatory before.
ES AR 102 102mm, f/6.5, ES 254mm f/5 DOB, Obie 10x50, GSO SV 30mm, ES 68° 20mm, ES 82° 14mm, 11mm, 8.8 mm, 6.8mm, 4.7mm. Twilight 1 mount.
jrkirkham United States of America

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by jrkirkham »

Thanks for giving us a little taste of history.
Rob
Telescopes: 50mm refractor, ED80 triplet, 90mm makcass, 10" dob, 8"SCT, 11"SCT
Mounts: Celestron CGX, Orion Sirius + several camera tripods
Cameras: Canon 6D, Canon 80D, ZWO-ASI120MC
Binoculars: 10x50, 12x60, 15x70, 25-125x80
Observatory: SkyShed POD XL3 + 8x12 warm room
AL Projects Completed: Lunar #645, Outreach #0280, Universe Sampler #93-T, Binocular Messier #871, Messier #2521, Messier Honorary #2521, Constellation Hunter Northern Skies #112, Planetary Transit Venus #1, Galileo #26, Outreach Stellar 0280, Meteor Regular #157, Solar System Telescopic #209-I, Observer Award #1
AL Projects Currently in Process: Double Stars, Comet, Lunar Evolution
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Makuser »

Hi Ewomack. Wow, you took some excellent photos of your trip to the Yerkes Observatory. When we lived in Illinois I always wanted to visit that observatory at Williams Bay on Lake Geneva. I thought so much of these old Alvan Clark refractors that I used the 4 largest at the top of our start page that I wrote (in html) for our Firefox browser. Here is a screen shot of the top of the opening page:
Screenshot 2023-07-05 at 10-50-11 Marshall's Start Page.png

It was said that Alvan Clark could just run his fingers over the objective glasses and find an imperfection on the surface. I am still looking forward to a visit to Arizona some day and see the Lowell Observatory at Flagstaff. Here is a complete history of Yerkes Observatory from Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yerkes_Observatory
Thanks for sharing your great photos and information of your visit with us on here Ewomack and the best of wishes for many clear skies.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 598

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Very nice trip and report!

Along with Mt. Palomar and the Hale telescope, the Yerkes was the first I had heard about. Would like to visit one day.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
starfield United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

AP Processing Challenge

Post by starfield »

Thanks, for the report. I had a chance to visit the Lick Observatory and see the Lick Refractor. The engineering behind these monster refractors is just amazing.
Scopes: Esprit 100, 12.5" Telekit Dob
Camera: 294 MC Pro, 224 mc, 2600mm
Guiding: ZWO 290 mini on 120mm guide scope
Mounts: EQ6R-Pro, EQ Platform.
Filters: Optolong L-Pro & L-Enhance, Chroma 36mm LRGB, 5nm HA, 3nm OIII, 3nm SII.
Software: SharpCap, SGP, StarTools 1.7, Photoshop, Pixinsight
The Death Star Observatory
Astro Photos:https://www.astrobin.com/users/starfield/
Lady Fraktor Slovakia

Post by Lady Fraktor »

A enjoyable trip and images.
The french 50 inch the tour guide mentioned was built for the 1900 world exposition and was dismantled after it closed.
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1000101)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
messier 111 Canada

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

very nice report , thx .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Thefatkitty »

Nice trip and pics, thanks! I actually checked; it's only a 10 hour drive from me and I've got vacation time...

Good for you on seeing all that and thanks for the inspiration :D
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
🇨🇦Member of the RASC