Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Re: June 23 solar chats,

Post by Thefatkitty »

I was on the road at 5:30AM today. Cloudy morning, but then at about 9AM it started to clear. From 10-11AM it was great, then it started to get cloudy again. I got in at about 1PM, and the skies saw me coming... I swear the minute I opened the truck door all hell broke loose rain wise!

Meanwhile, sometime today about 200KM's away, Mike was taking out the scope he built for me and giving it another run in so-so skies.

I was supposed to pick it up last weekend, but two things interfered: The cat went to the vets Friday and my wife needed the car Saturday. There goes my extra funds and even if I did have it, I don't have wheels... Not just clouds this time!

Mike sent the stacks he took with my scope... I say "my scope", but I'm worried that if I don't make it there this Sunday he'll just waive the rest of the coin and keep it ... :lol: I wouldn't blame him! BTW, these are with the stock 5mm PST BF:

J1.jpg
J2c.jpg
J2ci.jpg

With a 2X barlow:

J4c.jpg
J5c.jpg

A prom with "poor focus". I'd be ecstatic if this was my pic, and I'm so looking forward to seeing this stuff for myself, and when the pics do come from me I hope they're as good as Mikes. They should, he walked me through everything he does :D

J6c.jpg

Fathers day is this weekend on the day I hope to pick up the scope. My daughter Sarah said she's been saving to get me another tattoo I really want (solar system) for Father's day but asked if she could give me the money instead to get the scope. I didn't even know she was saving money for me. I mentioned this, and the dear child informed me that most of, if not all of the extra money I make (all cash) I just give to her so she can have some fun with her friends, but she'd like to show her appreciation for all that I do to simply give to her. 18 years old with a conscience :D

I said No worries Kiddo, some of it I do save for me and Mum; but what you have save it for yourself, I just need another paycheck under my belt and to keep making my lunch... Tomorrow is payday and I'm getting tired of bagels! Plus summer is not the best time to get more ink. We can do that on my birthday at the end of October, kinda like we did last year.

At least the girls support/tolerate me; I take that as a good thing. We'll see how long it lasts...;)

Clear skies and all the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
🇨🇦Member of the RASC
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

Fine images. You must really be looking forward to using that telescope!

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
Tillibobs Great Britain
In Memory
In Memory

Post by Tillibobs »

wonderful images Mark, don't expect to get the same results straight off, it takes practice . TBH I'd rather have your new scope than a Quark.
Keith.
p.s. if you don't get yourself down to Mike I'm going to hop on a plane and smuggle it back to the UK.
Lady Fraktor Slovakia

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Some very nice images from Mike. Hopefully you will have the telescope home soon. :)
I hope furball is alright as well.
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1000101)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
messier 111 Online Canada

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

Thefatkitty wrote: ↑Thu Jun 15, 2023 2:03 am
Hi my friend ,
I could go get the telescope for you if you want, I could also see if it works well, this would take a few years lol.
nice pics, thx.
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
Tillibobs Great Britain
In Memory
In Memory

Post by Tillibobs »

messier 111 wrote: ↑Thu Jun 15, 2023 4:25 pm
Hi my friend ,
I could go get the telescope for you if you want, I could also see if it works well, this would take a few years lol.
nice pics, thx.
As I had my 82nd Birthday yesterday plus I've got stage 4 cancer that they've stopped trying to treat I fear that I don't have a few years left before my number comes up. In the meantime I can look forward to you and Mike imaging.
Keith.
Solsearcher Canada

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Solsearcher »

Tillibobs wrote: ↑Thu Jun 15, 2023 4:35 pm
Hi my friend ,
nice pics, thx.
As I had my 82nd Birthday yesterday plus I've got stage 4 cancer that they've stopped trying to treat I fear that I don't have a few years left before my number comes up. In the meantime I can look forward to you and Mike imaging.
Keith.
Hey Keith , we are looking forward to seeing your images again !! Did you look into the Rife information I sent you ? Less $$ than a good camera and cheaper than flying here to grab Marks scope :o Don't worry Mark we would likely get stuck in a pub anyway :lol:
Solar scopes (Coronado Ha) 60mm double stack , 90mm double stack , 150mm single stack .
W/L scope Williams Optic Megrez 110mm / Lunt herschel wedge .
Night scope Celestron 9.25 XLT
Mounts HEQ6 , HEQ5 , Losmandy G8
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Thefatkitty »

Graeme1858 wrote: ↑Thu Jun 15, 2023 5:30 am Fine images. You must really be looking forward to using that telescope!

Graeme
Graeme, you have no idea how much! Being at Mike's place was the first time I'd ever gotten to use an HA scope and be allowed to touch the etalons. I'll never forget the transitions for what you could see being brought out. Also, this is a one off, and from what I've seen, a build from Mike is second to none!

Tillibobs wrote: ↑Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:25 am wonderful images Mark, don't expect to get the same results straight off, it takes practice . TBH I'd rather have your new scope than a Quark.
Keith.
p.s. if you don't get yourself down to Mike I'm going to hop on a plane and smuggle it back to the UK.
Hey Keith, I hear you on the imaging. Mike makes it look easy.... I'll probably just use it for visual for the first couple of times just to get used to the etalon tuning; that's a new thing for me. And after that, we can all watch me struggle with imaging :lol:
Save the airfare, I'm going to see him this Sunday :D

Lady Fraktor wrote: ↑Thu Jun 15, 2023 4:17 pm Some very nice images from Mike. Hopefully you will have the telescope home soon. :)
I hope furball is alright as well.
I agree, the man knows what he's doing for sure! As for Sasha, it was a urinary tract infection. I know the signs so that was good, otherwise it would've costed more than it did. If we hadn't gotten her in on Friday I'd be paying off Mike in September at the earliest, and by then Keith would have smuggled it to the UK and I'd be back where I started... :lol:!!

Hi my friend ,
nice pics, thx.
Merci pour l'offre mon ami, mais je pense que quelques années est trop longues pour moi...:D Although I am thinking of driving to near Ottawa for next years eclipse if you're interested in trying it out...

Tillibobs wrote: ↑Thu Jun 15, 2023 4:35 pm As I had my 82nd Birthday yesterday plus I've got stage 4 cancer that they've stopped trying to treat I fear that I don't have a few years left before my number comes up. In the meantime I can look forward to you and Mike imaging.
Keith.
Keith, I was so sorry to read that yesterday; I'd hoped you were on the mend. If there is anything I can do in any way possible please let me know.

Solsearcher wrote: ↑Thu Jun 15, 2023 5:01 pm
Tillibobs wrote: ↑Thu Jun 15, 2023 4:35 pm

Hi my friend ,
nice pics, thx.
Keith.
Hey Keith , we are looking forward to seeing your images again !! Did you look into the Rife information I sent you ? Less $$ than a good camera and cheaper than flying here to grab Marks scope :o Don't worry Mark we would likely get stuck in a pub anyway :lol:
You and Keith in a pub? Nah, can't see that happening... ;)
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
🇨🇦Member of the RASC
Tillibobs Great Britain
In Memory
In Memory

Post by Tillibobs »

Mike, I'm seeing an Oncologist next Wednesday and that's on my list to discuss.
Keith
Gordon Online United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1051

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

TSS EAA Messier awards

Post by Gordon »

Since we are wrapping up the month of June pretty soon. I thought I would post a few more I captured recently.
Scope: ES80ed-cf
Mount: SkyWatcher EQ5pro
Camera: ZWO ASI174mm-c
Filter: Daystar Quark chromosphere.

Captured 6-21-2023

6-21-2023 The Snake.jpg

6-21-2023 Prom1.jpg

Captured 6-24-2023

P1.jpg

p2.jpg
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

Very nice prominences Gordon.

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
Solsearcher Canada

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Solsearcher »

Those are great shots Gordon , I love the detail you pulled out of the proms .
I have to ask why are you are not posting your images in Solar Images ?
Solar scopes (Coronado Ha) 60mm double stack , 90mm double stack , 150mm single stack .

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

very nice take Gordon , thx .

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Site Admin
Site Admin

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

TSS EAA Messier awards

Post by Gordon »

Solsearcher wrote: ↑Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:43 pm Those are great shots Gordon , I love the detail you pulled out of the proms .
I'm just Lazy....
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC

Solsearcher Canada

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Solsearcher »

Gordon wrote: ↑Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:49 pm
Solsearcher wrote: ↑Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:43 pm Those are great shots Gordon , I love the detail you pulled out of the proms .
I'm just Lazy....
LOL , I just wanted to make sure mine were going in the right place .

You are not lazy Gordon , none of us would be here if it were not for you setting this up and I thank you for that !!
Lady Fraktor Slovakia

Post by Lady Fraktor »

That is a great image Gordon!
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1000101)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
Tillibobs Great Britain
In Memory
In Memory

Post by Tillibobs »

Gordon, you're afraid you'll win the daily comp if you were to enter it.
Question for you Gordon, Have you tried inverting the first image ? I bet that filament would blow your socks off.
Keith.
Site Admin
Site Admin

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

TSS EAA Messier awards

Post by Gordon »

You mean something like this?
6-21-2023 Snake inverted.jpg
Gordon
ZWO mini guider.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

superb shot , thx .

― Isaac Asimov

Tillibobs Great Britain
In Memory
In Memory

Post by Tillibobs »

Yes Gordon, try to get a bit more contrast ( Mike's are good examples of what I mean )
Keith.