Targets for Beginners?

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
Bigzmey Online United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Targets for Beginners?

Post by Bigzmey »

SkyHiker wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 5:18 pm
Bigzmey wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 4:46 pm
helicon wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:45 pm

Just checked that out. Pretty darn cool at only a 50mm objective and f/5. I'm sure larger versions will become available. I see these devices eventually cutting into the traditional telescope sales - fracs, Dobs, SCT's, etc. Who doesn't have a smart phone?
We get question quite often from beginners: I want a scope to do visual and AP under $500. Before the answer was there is no such thing, focus just on visual, but these new systems could be the answer.
Except of course that 10" Coulter Odyssey that I bought for $100, then built a dual-axis autoguided barndoor drive to put the 65 lbs. Dob on and successfully did AP. I had to buy 2 Arduinos and 2 steppers that were $0.99 each. This assumes that my time was worth nothing. Of course, I did AP 4 times only with it just to prove my point.
These are prices from 50s, right Henk? Otherwise show me where I can by 10" DOB for $100, I'll buy two! :D
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Delos, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3122 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2196, S110: 77). Doubles: 2461, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 261
SkyHiker United States of America
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by SkyHiker »

Bigzmey wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 6:10 pm
SkyHiker wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 5:18 pm
Bigzmey wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 4:46 pm

We get question quite often from beginners: I want a scope to do visual and AP under $500. Before the answer was there is no such thing, focus just on visual, but these new systems could be the answer.
Except of course that 10" Coulter Odyssey that I bought for $100, then built a dual-axis autoguided barndoor drive to put the 65 lbs. Dob on and successfully did AP. I had to buy 2 Arduinos and 2 steppers that were $0.99 each. This assumes that my time was worth nothing. Of course, I did AP 4 times only with it just to prove my point.
These are prices from 50s, right Henk? Otherwise show me where I can by 10" DOB for $100, I'll buy two! :D
I bought it in 2000, on the annual astronomy day star party of my club the SBAU. It must have been 30 years old but worked fine. It came wiith a nice set of eyepieces and a 4.5" Newt, and an unmotorized EQ mount that I recycled, altogether $110.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

pakarinen wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 10:06 am I can't even see mag 10 objects at home due to light pollution, much less extended objects. Ok, planetaries are more starlike than galaxies, but still...

Even though I just got an ST102, I'm close to pulling the trigger on a Seestar. I still have until the end of the month to get the intro price.
Hi Olen,
It sounds like an oxymoron, but magnitude is not a particularly good predictor of visual brightness or visibility of extended objects.

You said it yourself, "Ok, planetaries are more starlike than galaxies, but still..."

In addition to planetary nebulae, a mag 10 galaxy or nebula can have a bright or a faint surface brightness depending upon its surface area. If I were observing in a heavy LP zone, I would download the NGC or Messier catalog into an excel spreadsheet. I started to suggest some maths to get a surface brightness indication but I need to think about it a little more before I can give you an algorithm to apply so you can rank objects by surface brightness. Most online versions of the NGC don't have object dimensions but many downloadable Messier catalogues do.

Everything brighter than your benchmark is a potential target.

Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)
Mike Q United States of America
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Mike Q »

Mike Q wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:47 pm Mag 10 can be some tough stuff for a beginner. When people get started in this quick and easy wins are the key. So the moon and planets first then go deeper. The Ring, the Hercules Cluster, Andromeda and of course the Orion Nebula should always be on the top of the list
Orion Skyline 10 Inch
Orion XX16G
Stellina
AT102EDL