Newbie with Celestron 6SE, Filters??

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
FlaSky
Articles: 0

Newbie with Celestron 6SE, Filters??

Post by FlaSky »

Hi,
New set up here 6SE. I do get the power adapter since I heard the mechanism will operate better.
I’d like to get some filters for Sun, Moon, etc. can someone recommend a brand of filters or any filter that would work well and last? I see a lot of variation in prices on the Sun filters. Some are many are made in China. Celestron has one for $48 solar Baader. There are some for $100. Just want to get an idea on what works well without overpaying.
gregl

Re: Newbie with Celestron 6SE, Filters??

Post by gregl »

Before commenting on your questions, here's a great site for NexStar owners. Lots of good info:
https://www.nexstarsite.com

As to power, I use a 12-volt, 18-AH battery that's sometimes used for wheelchairs, gate openers and so on. If you have access to line power, the adapter could also be useful. I use the battery because I'm always away from line power. The battery will run the mount for at least two nights or more without a problem.

As to filters, try to borrow before you buy. Filters can be somewhat personal and somewhat dependent on what you want to see and your observing situation. I rushed to buy polarizers for the moon and ended up not using them. But I'm not really a lunar observer. The un-filtered moon is going to spoil your night vision if you are looking from a dark site when you plan to look at other objects.

When I first had my scope I bought a boatload of assorted filters and after a few uses I put them away or sold some of them. I did get a look one night at the Swan nebula through an 18-inch Obsession equipped with, I think, an O III filter. The filter did make a noticeable difference. But said filter is out of my budget.

As to the sun, you want to filter it before the light passes through the scope. I use the Baader solar film and just fitted it into a poster board frame that fits over the outboard end of the scope. Below are a couple of pix. Filtering at the eyepiece is not a good idea. You are concentrating the sun's rays inside the tube and thus the heat generated can damage the scope.

IMG_0466.JPG
IMG_0470.JPG
Lady Fraktor Slovakia

Re: Newbie with Celestron 6SE, Filters??

Post by Lady Fraktor »

The Baader ND5 solar film is a excellent way to start solar observing, you can make a filter easily with it as Greg shows.
A dewshield is a must with a SCT to block light and help hold off dew while viewing.
Polarizers are a 50/50 thing, I have one but rarely use it.

Some of the others will give pointers on visual filters for SCT.
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1000101)
The only culture I have is from yogurt