Any audio gurus or enthusiasts?

Discuss non-Astronomy related subjects. NOTE: posts are removed automatically after 365 days.
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Articles: 0

Any audio gurus or enthusiasts?

Post by Lady Fraktor »

I need some tips/ advice for choosing a good set of loudspeakers.
I would prefer passive loudspeakers over active.
The main use will be at low to moderate volume and majority of listening will be philharmonic.

Currently I am using a Astell&Kern setup of a SR25 MkII, ACRO L1000 headphone amplifier and beyerdynamic Amiron home headphones
so a good set of loudspeakers would be a nice complement. ​

The last time I went shopping for good audio gear, bi-wiring was a big thing... now there are more numbers and acronyms that I would need a interpreter to get through it all.

If you want to see the gear specifications:
Music player
SR MkII.png
Headphone amplifier
L1000.png
Some nice refractors, eyepieces, mounts and related equipment
The only culture I have is from yogurt
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Any audio gurus?

Post by KathyNS »

If you'd asked me 25 years ago, I could have answered your question. You'd have wanted 40-watt 8-ohm speakers. Simple, and all amplifiers would accept them.

These days? I have no idea what half of those specs mean. The only speaker output I can find is on the headphone amplifier. It is only 15 watts per channel, so you will have to make sure the speakers are efficient. If comparing in a store, efficient means the loudest sound for a given volume level, on the same passage of music.

Good luck finding something.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
Lady Fraktor Slovakia

Post by Lady Fraktor »

We are at the same level Kathy :lol:
The player re-creates the sound at a level comparable to sitting off to the side in the studio, quite amazing reproduction!
I am re-discovering quite a bit of my music collection.
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

KathyNS wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:45 pm If you'd asked me 25 years ago, I could have answered your question. You'd have wanted 40-watt 8-ohm speakers. Simple, and all amplifiers would accept them.

These days? I have no idea what half of those specs mean. The only speaker output I can find is on the headphone amplifier. It is only 15 watts per channel, so you will have to make sure the speakers are efficient. If comparing in a store, efficient means the loudest sound for a given volume level, on the same passage of music.

Good luck finding something.
I'm in the same boat. I just hope to Zeus that the gear I have holds out longer than I do! :lol:
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

I'm far from audio guru, but which numbers and acronyms are you wondering about?
Quite many of them seem to be about digital input and digital signal processing stuff.

Are you planning to connect the speakers to the head phone amp?
It wants 4 ohm 15 W speakers.
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

Lady Fraktor Slovakia

Post by Lady Fraktor »

I knew I should have gone with the difficult question first :lol:

A harder question: Can I use the headphone amplifier as a pre-amplifier/ source and connect it to a 2 channel power amplifier using the 4 pin XLR cable?
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:50 am I knew I should have gone with the difficult question first :lol:

A harder question: Can I use the headphone amplifier as a pre-amplifier/ source and connect it to a 2 channel power amplifier using the 4 pin XLR cable?
You can, but you need to be careful. 6V or 8.5V is somewhat high level for power amplifier input.
The specs didn't tell about the output impedance or level for the XLR connector. Nor what's it intended for.

Keeping the volume low enough should work, but there's the risk of burning the inputs of a power amp.
I think, though, that there are power amps that can handle the levels.
I didn't find anything about the connector impedances, though. With wrong high-ish input impedance power amp, it should work, but the signal may be distorted.

Typically, the output impedance of a pre-amp is few tens of kOhms, and output level tens of milliVolts to little over a Volt.
The XLR output may have the "standard" impedance and level (about 1.2 V). In that case it should work with power amps with XLR input.

Then there are (passive) attenuators...
https://www.amazon.com/Shure-A15AS-Swit ... B0002J1JKY
- Juha

Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"

turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

It starts to look more and more like the XLR output is "standard" line level output, and could be connected to XLR input of a power amp.
- Juha

KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KathyNS »

There are two "standard" output line levels: -10db and +4db. Generally, unbalanced connections are used on cheap consumer-grade equipment, and use -10db level. Studio-grade equipment uses +4db and balanced connections. In practice, you can mix them easily without worrying about it too much, though if you cranked up the volume on a +4db output, but could get some nice distortion on a -10db input. And you have to be a bit careful to avoid ground loops, since the balanced and unbalanced cables handle grounding differently.

Your spec sheet doesn't talk about signal levels. However, I would assume that the balanced outputs are +4db and the unbalanced ones are -10db.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

KathyNS wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:36 pm There are two "standard" output line levels: -10db and +4db. Generally, unbalanced connections are used on cheap consumer-grade equipment, and use -10db level. Studio-grade equipment uses +4db and balanced connections. In practice, you can mix them easily without worrying about it too much, though if you cranked up the volume on a +4db output, but could get some nice distortion on a -10db input. And you have to be a bit careful to avoid ground loops, since the balanced and unbalanced cables handle grounding differently.

Your spec sheet doesn't talk about signal levels. However, I would assume that the balanced outputs are +4db and the unbalanced ones are -10db.
I think balanced output to 4-pin XLR don't have a ground. Just left/right +/-.
And yes, -10dBV (amlitude about 0.45V) for consumer, +4dBu (about 1.7V) for pro.
- Juha

KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KathyNS »

turboscrew wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:56 pm I think balanced output to 4-pin XLR don't have a ground. Just left/right +/-.
I think the grounding on an XLR is through the plug housing.
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

KathyNS wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:56 pm
turboscrew wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:56 pm I think balanced output to 4-pin XLR don't have a ground. Just left/right +/-.
I think the grounding on an XLR is through the plug housing.
I think it's supposed to be for potential difference between the devices (sort of chassis ground), not signal ground. And it's probably, not needed.
The balanced output is really just differential output. The common mode voltage should not have an effect.
(The common mode rejection ratio is, usually, quite good.)

For unbalanced, I think the '-' signal is used as signal ground.
- Juha

KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KathyNS »

turboscrew wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:05 pm I think it's supposed to be for potential difference between the devices (sort of chassis ground), not signal ground. And it's probably, not needed.
The balanced output is really just differential output. The common mode voltage should not have an effect.

Correct. The shield of the cable is for external noise suppression, and is connected to one or both chassis grounds. The audio signal uses only the + and - lines, which is why it is called balanced.
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

KathyNS wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:01 pm
turboscrew wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:05 pm I think it's supposed to be for potential difference between the devices (sort of chassis ground), not signal ground. And it's probably, not needed.

Correct. The shield of the cable is for external noise suppression, and is connected to one or both chassis grounds. The audio signal uses only the + and - lines, which is why it is called balanced.
I was about to say EMC protection, but that sounded a bit too dramatic. :lol:
EMI would have been closer...
- Juha

helicon Online United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 599

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Interesting thread. I recently bought a turntable to play old LP's. It has a bluetooth connection to my JBL speaker...good luck Gabrielle.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Lady Fraktor Slovakia

Post by Lady Fraktor »

The output connections are 2.5mm, 3.5mm, 6.3mm and XLR which are all balanced.
The 3.5mm and XLR can be used as output connections, I use the XLR with my headphones.
The 3.5mm seems to be a standard connection point for some component systems.

How the amplifier switches the power levels internally is uncertain as there is no information on the type of amplifier used. ​
There is a switch to go between the two and somewhere in the manual it says to avoid switching with the power on.
The switch is to the right of the 4 pin XLR connector.
Untitled.png
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:59 pm The output connections are 2.5mm, 3.5mm, 6.3mm and XLR which are all balanced.
The 3.5mm and XLR can be used as output connections, I use the XLR with my headphones.
The 3.5mm seems to be a standard connection point for some component systems.

How the amplifier switches the power levels internally is uncertain as there is no information on the type of amplifier used. ​
There is a switch to go between the two and somewhere in the manual it says to avoid switching with the power on.
The switch is to the right of the 4 pin XLR connector.

I think the speaker poles get the signal anyway, or there could be load detection. In the jacks, there may be internal switches such that if all switches are closed, XLR is used. Just a guess...
- Juha

Lady Fraktor Slovakia

Post by Lady Fraktor »

helicon wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:54 pm Interesting thread. I recently bought a turntable to play old LP's. It has a bluetooth connection to my JBL speaker...good luck Gabrielle.
A good way to avoid cable clutter, how is the sound reproduction?
Did you mean speaker or speakers?
helicon Online United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 599

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

The sound is good but I'm hardly an audiophile. It's a stereo speaker like this one...
speaker.jpg
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Lady Fraktor Slovakia

Post by Lady Fraktor »

turboscrew wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:06 pm I think the speaker poles get the signal anyway, or there could be load detection. In the jacks, there may be internal switches such that if all switches are closed, XLR is used. Just a guess...
I do not think the speaker connections would be receiving the signal until the switch is used.
I do know the headphone connections including the XLR are active at the same time as I have had 3 sets of headphones plugged in at once when comparing them.
(3.5mm, 6.3mm and XLR)