We saw JUPITER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
chicagorandy Online United States of America
Articles: 0

We saw JUPITER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by chicagorandy »

Ok, it might not be THAT exciting to most of you, but we haven't had even barely clear weekend evening skies since late April, so for us it was magic.

After their village's block party, we returned to my son's north suburban patio and fired up the Nexstar 127SLT. Too few bright stars were visible to do a quick Sky Align so we just did a point-and-shoot on Jupiter which for once was in clear sky, maybe 35 degrees up to our South, even as cloud cover starting slowly moving in from the North-West.

Red dot finder on Jupiter, put in the new 8-24 zoom, and since tracking was not active (didn't align the scope) we used the HC arrows to keep the planet kinda centered in the eyepiece as we slowly, step by step, refocusing as needed, sharing the eyepiece view, increased to max zoom.

CRIKEY! It's a planet with visible color bands and clearly visible moons! Suffice it to say we were thrilled to enjoy even just an hour chasing the planet across the sky, needing to reposition the scope in the yard three times just to keep a clean view owing to a huge tree in his neighbor's yard three doors down. NATURALLY in the due South sky. Next time we're headed to his driveway instead or the park at the end of the block, hopefully also getting the scope Sky Aligned first...…….. assuming the weather gods once again cooperate even slightly.

That low in the sky a crisp & clear focus on Jupiter was not going to happen, especially since due South is also this little town they call Chicago, so the light pollution goes from bad to extreme. But the thrill of the view was not diminished in the least.

I am delighted to finally be able to report that the new telescope works, and works well. The zoom EP was easy to use with seemingly good clarity. We could not be more pleased with the results from our first real viewing session and I could not be happier with the gear purchase. Didn't get a chance to hook up the new SV205 camera or laptop, so that will have to wait till next time. I will report back.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." Abraham Lincoln
We may not have it all together, but together we have it all.
The older I get, the better I was.

Celestron Nexstar+ 127 SLT, several budget plossl eyepieces, Celestron 8-24mm zoom EP and a 12.5mm illuminated double reticle EP, Svbony SV205 camera w/.5 focal reducer, Celestron SkyMaster 20x80 binos on a 40 yr old QuickSet PanHead tripod, Stellarium, Sharpcap and ManyCam on my laptop, SkyView and Nightshift on my phone and a dandy little $9 red-light flashlight.
JayTee United States of America
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: We saw JUPITER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by JayTee »

Congrats Randy,

Don't forget that you have the option to align your scope to Jupiter (or any planet). Just select the "Solar System" align function when you fire up the scope. This is a quick and easy way to get a quick align and get the tracking function to start working.

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6R, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100 ∞ AP Gear: ZWO EAF and mini EFW and the Optolong L-eXteme filter
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

helicon Online United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 598

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Sounds like a great night with big Jupe Randy. Even if it is one of the easy objects in the sky if you have not visited it for awhile it really takes one's breath away.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
KingNothing13 Online United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KingNothing13 »

Cool Randy, thanks for sharing! Saturn is right around the corner too!
-- Brett

Scope: Apertura AD10 with Nexus II with 8192/716000 Step Encoders
EPs: ES 82* 18mm, 11mm, 6.7mm; GSO 30mm
Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars
List Counts: Messier: 75; Herschel 400: 30; Caldwell: 12; AL Carbon Star List: 16
Brett's Carbon Star Hunt

quincy

Post by quincy »

Great stuff Randy. Congrats sir!
If you are not aware of this, S & T magazine has an Interactive tool for Jupiter moons occultation, eclipse, transit, and shadow across the planet's face.
A Jupiter Almanac: https://www.skyandtelescope.com/observi ... ing-tools/

I think you'd enjoy a moon transit as the shadow travels across Jupiter's face.
Jim

Orion 80mm Table Top Refractor, Orion XT12g
7x35 Bushnell & Gordon 10 x 50 Binoculars, and my aging Peepers
Aratus Great Britain

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Aratus »

Jupiter is a planet to get excited about! It is pretty low down at the moment, and a lot of people are going to miss seeing it, especially those living in northerly latitudes.
I was holidaying in the Welsh Valleys this last week, and it made a fine sight at midnight, just above the hills - once I had walked across to see it from behind a large oak tree!

Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Congrats! Isn't it something?!
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Delos, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3122 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2196, S110: 77). Doubles: 2461, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 261
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1051

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

TSS EAA Messier awards

Post by Gordon »

Congratulations Randy!

It's a wonderful site to see!
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

bladekeeper

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bladekeeper »

Congrats, Randy! That's awesome! :)

Spent a little time on Jupiter last night myself with a long 80mm frac and a couple of orthoscopics. :)
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100

Ozypic

Post by Ozypic »

Thats terrific Randy that you got such a good look at it. Its always good to share it with someone. I never get bored looking at it. If you got excited looking at Jupiter ,wait till you get a good look at Saturn . Just remember once you put that camera on the scope it all can go from joy to frustration hahaha ...Enjoy , Phill
Phill. Dreaming of Clear Skys .... :D :D :D
SCOPE : Skywatcher 120X600 ST Achromatic Refractor. 
EP's : 25mm & 10mm Plossl , Celestron 8/24mm Zoom EP,
Filters : Solar filter, Badder Fringe Killer & Moon/Skyglow. 
MOUNT : Skywatcher Star Discovery goto Mount.
CAMERAS : ZWO 120 asi MC. / Sony HX400V 50X Zoom.
Binoculars : Saxon 10x50
Larry 1969 United States of America

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Larry 1969 »

Awesome Randy!

I laid eyes on Jupiter for the first time last year and it was quite the spectacle!

Color bands and all 4 Galilean moons clearly visible!

I still get excited!

Larry
For visual:
10" Skywatcher collapsible goto dob, various EP's and a Celestron StarSense auto align.

For imaging:
Orion 8" astrograph 800mm @ F3.9
Eq6-R Pro controlled by APT via EQmod with an OTA mounted mini PC
Tele Vue Paracorr Type 2 coma corrector
Altair Hypercam 26C
Gulf Coast Guy

Post by Gulf Coast Guy »

Jupiter is enough to catch the bug. Watch out though. Once you scratch a few DSO's off the todo list, you'll be hooked for sure and then it's Katie bar the door.
OTA's: 203mm f10 Meade SCT (LXD75); Antares 80mm Refractor w/William Optics APOGrade f6.9 objective; Orion Starseeker 80 f11.2 Refractor
Mount/tripod's: Meade LXD-75 EQ; Orion Starseeker IV ALT/AZ; Celestron Heavy Duty ALT/AZ Farpoint UBM (Universal Binocular Mount)
Eyepieces:Meade - 26mm plossl, 12mm Astrometric; GSO (OPT badge) 2" Superview 50mm & 30mm 1.25" 15mm; TMB Planetary Series 9mm, 6mm, & 4mm: 10mm & 23mm 60° that came with the 80mm f11.2
Barlows: Orion 2x Shorty; Meade 4000 Series 3x
Binoculars:Brunton 10x50 Celestron Skymaster 15x70 Oberwerk 25x100 IF delux
Juno16 United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: We saw JUPITER!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I !!!

Post by Juno16 »

Definitely will get the heart pumping. Jupiter is an awesome sight even at relatively lower magnifications. A vivid and crisp jewel!

Thanks,
Jim
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Lady Fraktor Slovakia

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Congratulations on viewing Jupiter Randy!
One of my favourite objects :)
You should check out Calsky website as well for best viewing times information.
Good luck on the next outing! :)
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1000101)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
Tillibobs Great Britain
In Memory
In Memory

Post by Tillibobs »

Jupiter is magnificent isn't he Randy. A few years ago there was a big who ahh in the Press, The Moon, Jupiter and Venus were all grouped together for a few nights. I saw them from my kitchen window and thought " I wish I had a telescope ". The following day I bought an old reflector for pea nuts and was gob smacked !. So it began, down the rabbit hole forever.
chicagorandy Online United States of America

Post by chicagorandy »

I think a rabbit hole shovel is on my Amazon wish list?
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." Abraham Lincoln
We may not have it all together, but together we have it all.
The older I get, the better I was.

Celestron Nexstar+ 127 SLT, several budget plossl eyepieces, Celestron 8-24mm zoom EP and a 12.5mm illuminated double reticle EP, Svbony SV205 camera w/.5 focal reducer, Celestron SkyMaster 20x80 binos on a 40 yr old QuickSet PanHead tripod, Stellarium, Sharpcap and ManyCam on my laptop, SkyView and Nightshift on my phone and a dandy little $9 red-light flashlight.