Please explain Barlows

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
seer
Articles: 0

Please explain Barlows

Post by seer »

Could someone please explain how Barlows differ in use between a refractor and reflector? What works for one scope doesn't work for another. I know there are Shorty Barlows and longer ones.
Donald
Tasco BRK Essentials Model: 169735 7x35, Celestron Cometron 7x50, Bushnell 10x50 Legacy WP, Oberwerk 15x70 LW, Meade Infinity 60mm AZ Refractor, Bushnell Deep Space 3 inch Reflector, Meade Polaris 80mm EQ Refractor, Meade Polaris 114mm Reflector.
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Please explain Barlows

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Shorty barlows are more convenient used with a diagonal. Apart from that, avoid low quality units that degrade the image.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
Don Quixote

Post by Don Quixote »

This is a good question Seer.
My comments are restricted to my experience as a visual observer. I have not used the barlow for AP.

My experience has been that they pretty much work the same way and give additional magnification according to the x-factor of the barlow lens. They are useful to maintain eye relief in a longer focal length eyepiece while augmenting the power by the factor of the barlow. I believe the exit pupil is also reduced.
There may be some change in the point of focus in the optical train while using the barlow, but I am not certain of this.
My input may not add much, but here it is for what it is worth.
Hopefully more experience observers will chime in.

I am also interested to learn more about this.
Last edited by Don Quixote on Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don Quixote

Post by Don Quixote »

notFritzArgelander wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:45 pm Shorty barlows are more convenient used with a diagonal. Apart from that, avoid low quality units that degrade the image.
Thank you nFA. :-)
seer

Post by seer »

Last night I tried a 2x Barlow that I got with one of my Meade refractors in my 76mm reflector and it would not work. The 76mm reflector came with a real junky 3x Barlow that overpowers almost everything.
Donald
Tasco BRK Essentials Model: 169735 7x35, Celestron Cometron 7x50, Bushnell 10x50 Legacy WP, Oberwerk 15x70 LW, Meade Infinity 60mm AZ Refractor, Bushnell Deep Space 3 inch Reflector, Meade Polaris 80mm EQ Refractor, Meade Polaris 114mm Reflector.
Don Quixote

Post by Don Quixote »

seer wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:24 pm Last night I tried a 2x Barlow that I got with one of my Meade refractors in my 76mm reflector and it would not work. The 76mm reflector came with a real junky 3x Barlow that overpowers almost everything.
It will not come into focus then ?
seer

Post by seer »

Don Quixote wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:28 pm
seer wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:24 pm Last night I tried a 2x Barlow that I got with one of my Meade refractors in my 76mm reflector and it would not work. The 76mm reflector came with a real junky 3x Barlow that overpowers almost everything.
It will not come into focus then ?
I guess that might be the way to put it. It's kind like what you would see if you were trying to collimate.
Donald
StarBru United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

Post by StarBru »

I occasionally use a 2x Meade Shorty barlow or a 2.5x Televue Barlow while observing with a refractor, reflector, and a SCT. As long as I don't exceed the maximum magnification capacity of each scope and allowing for seeing conditions, I can usually get a better view visually. That being said, I have read that using a Barlow results in loss of brightness. I have also read that a 2x Barlow will, as an example, essentially make an f/5 scope into an f/10 scope and will improve the view through the eyepiece. I do not know whether that is because the abberations are not as noticeable of the eyepiece or of the scope. I don't know for sure, I'm certainly no expert, especially of the technical side of it. Someone please correct me if I have mis-stated anything! I just know I have no problem slipping in a Barlow when I need more magnification and I don't have the eyepiece to give me the magnification needed. Each time I use a Barlow, I have to refocus. I hope this helps.

I also have a 2nd 2x Barlow that is a little longer than my Shorty Barlow and when using it, it has on occasion not come into focus but I can't remember which scope it happens with. I just grab a different Barlow when that happens.

I don't dabble in AP, so I can't help you there.
Last edited by StarBru on Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bruce

Refractors: Meade AR-5 127mm f/9.3, Meade ST-80 f/5 and Meade 60mm f/12, Jason 60mm f/15 #313, Jason 60mm f/12 #306 S7, Bushnell Sky Chief III 60mm f/15.
Reflectors/Catadioptrics: Meade 10" F/4 Schmidt-Newtonian, Galileo 120mm f/8.3 Newtonian, Meade 2045D 4" f/10 SCT, Meade ETX-90EC f/13.8 & Sarblue 60mm f/12.5 Maksutov-Cassegrains.
Mounts: Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro & Meade LXD55 Equatorial mounts, ES Twilight II and Meade 2102 ALT/AZ mounts, a modified 10" SkyQuest Dobsonian mount, various 60mm EQ mounts.
Misc: Celestron 20x80mm binoculars, Revolution II Imager/accessories, & lots of optical accessories/eyepieces.
Projects: 8" f/2.9 and 65mm f/10 reflectors, Dobson-style binocular mirror mount.
Don Quixote

Post by Don Quixote »

All other things being in proper order, my guess is that the addition of that barlow into the optical train has pushed the focus point for that combination beyond the capability of the focuser. I wonder if a "shorty" barlow would do the trick.

Have you tried your set up in daylight on a distant object to see if you can get focus with the barlow and lens combination?
Richard South Africa

Post by Richard »

For me they seem to work the same in all scopes I have a 2x shorty but once one has plenty eyepieces they tend to become spares just like my Plossel eyepieces used perhaps one a year, but great when I started , just make sure its at least a doublet , some scopes come with a barlow just so that they can advertise great magnification those are rubbish
Ok Just read the OP post again I think F5 or lower will work well irrespective of scope design
Reflectors GSO 200 Dobs
Refractors None
SCT C5 on a SLT mount
Mak 150 Bosma on a EQ5
Lowjiber
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Lowjiber »

John (Urban Astronomer) Apertura AD10 Dob; XLT 150 Dob; XLT 120EQ; Lunt Solar 60 PT/B1200; ES AR102; SW Pro 100ED; 2 SW Pro 80ED's; 90mm Eq; WO Z-61; SW 90mm Virtuso Mak; 2 Orion ST-80's; Quark-C; Cams: Polemaster, ASI120MM-S, ASI174MM & ASI174MM-C
helicon Online United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 598

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

I actually prefer not to use barlows as I find the images they produce a bit unsatisfactory, even though I have a couple in my kit. Instead I use 10, 8, and 6mm eyepieces to accomplish the same task of magnification. In your situation I would choose a shorty barlow and then you can experiment and see if the scope will come to focus. As you mention, collimation of the primary might be an issue. If it's off the effect will only be magnified resulting in a poor view.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Gulf Coast Guy

Post by Gulf Coast Guy »

Barlows alter the effective Focal Length of the OTA with which they are used. by the factor stated on the barlow All the other calculations; Power, Focal ratio, Exit pupil, etc. remain the same.For example with a 2x barlow a480mm Focal length Refactor is treated as if it were a960mm in all calculations. The longer eye relief of lower FL eyepieces is retained.
OTA's: 203mm f10 Meade SCT (LXD75); Antares 80mm Refractor w/William Optics APOGrade f6.9 objective; Orion Starseeker 80 f11.2 Refractor
Mount/tripod's: Meade LXD-75 EQ; Orion Starseeker IV ALT/AZ; Celestron Heavy Duty ALT/AZ Farpoint UBM (Universal Binocular Mount)
Eyepieces:Meade - 26mm plossl, 12mm Astrometric; GSO (OPT badge) 2" Superview 50mm & 30mm 1.25" 15mm; TMB Planetary Series 9mm, 6mm, & 4mm: 10mm & 23mm 60° that came with the 80mm f11.2
Barlows: Orion 2x Shorty; Meade 4000 Series 3x
Binoculars:Brunton 10x50 Celestron Skymaster 15x70 Oberwerk 25x100 IF delux
Gulf Coast Guy

Post by Gulf Coast Guy »

n the example above if the objective were 80mm The Focal ratio without the Barlow would be f6 with the Barlow f12, with most if not all the up and down side of each.
OTA's: 203mm f10 Meade SCT (LXD75); Antares 80mm Refractor w/William Optics APOGrade f6.9 objective; Orion Starseeker 80 f11.2 Refractor
Mount/tripod's: Meade LXD-75 EQ; Orion Starseeker IV ALT/AZ; Celestron Heavy Duty ALT/AZ Farpoint UBM (Universal Binocular Mount)
Eyepieces:Meade - 26mm plossl, 12mm Astrometric; GSO (OPT badge) 2" Superview 50mm & 30mm 1.25" 15mm; TMB Planetary Series 9mm, 6mm, & 4mm: 10mm & 23mm 60° that came with the 80mm f11.2
Barlows: Orion 2x Shorty; Meade 4000 Series 3x
Binoculars:Brunton 10x50 Celestron Skymaster 15x70 Oberwerk 25x100 IF delux
TCampbell United States of America

Post by TCampbell »

It wasn't specifically asked ... but I thought I'd bring up in case anyone is thinking of using a Barlow with a camera on the scope.

With most lenses, the back-focus distance is important because light is projected in a cone-shape (they are optimized for a specific back-focus distance). In a telecentric Barlow (such as a TeleVue Powermate), the light exits traveling in parallel paths. This means the distance from the telecentric to the image plane can vary without affecting image size or quality.

A telecentric (such as a Powermate) is more properly called an 'image-space telecentric' because the light travels in parallel paths on the outbound side (the side projecting the image onto a camera sensor.). There is such a thing as an object-space telecentric where the light is parallel on the inbound side (the side where the object being imaged is located). Object-space telecentric are probably not applicable to astronomy.

In particular ... image-space telecentrics are great for planetary imaging, where the planet is typically "barlowed up" to some fairly high focal ratio (such as f/25-f/30)
Scopes: PlaneWave 12.5 CDK - Meade 14" LX200-ACF - TeleVue NP101is - Lunt LS80Ha
Mounts: Losmandy G11 - Losmandy GM8 - Losmandy StarLapse
Cameras: Canon 60Da - ZWO ASI128MC-Pro - ZWO ASI174MM-Cool - ZWO ASI174MM-Mini
Software (Raspberry Pi): ZWO ASIair - StellarMate / Software (Mac): AstroImager - AstroDSLR - AstroGuider
Wish list items: Weather Controller