Quick but late report about Tuesday morning's session

Let's see your reports!
Bikerdib
Articles: 0

Quick but late report about Tuesday morning's session

Post by Bikerdib »

So I went to bed around 11:30 Monday night. I often have trouble relaxing and going to sleep. Seems my mind just wants to run rampant when I hit the bed. I lay there until around 1:00 am, maybe dosing off briefly a couple of times, until I finally decided to go turn on the TV and stream a science documentary. Getting up and walking into the TV room I realize I'm not really tired so I decide to step outside and take a look at the stars. There was a cloud bank to the northeast but to the south and southeast only some streamer clouds drifting through and both Jupiter and Saturn shining brightly.

Yep, why not a morning session. With the clouds threatening I didn't want to go through all the work setting up my CGE PRO so I carried my AVX out since I keep it mostly assembled sans the counter weights and OTA. I mounted up the 9.25" Edge and moved the eyepieces and everything else I'd need out to the scope.

After a 2+2 alignment, I swung over to Jupiter. It was sort of the motivation to do a session anyway since it will be at opposition the 10th of this month and is actually closer this time than it has been in 5 years. It didn't disappoint. Even with transparency that was 2 of 5, it is bright enough to show pretty good detail. Using my 11mm TV Plossel and my Baader Moon and Sky Glow filter gave me 214X and showed some pretty detail across the entire disc of the planet and the 4 visable moons were resolved into discs though lacking any detail at all. I studied it a while, waiting for moments of good seeing. I also had to wait for streamer clouds to move past several times

Next, I moved over to Saturn knowing it should also be putting on a pretty nice showing since opposition for it is in July. The rings are at a favorable tilt (and should get a little better by July). Nice banding on the planet and of course the Cassini division. I could also pick out 4 moons but with the transparency so bad 3 of them kind of faded in and out with the sseing. After about 30 minutes of watching the planet I thought about grabbing a couple of clusters.

I put in my ES 18mm eyepiece and viewed several clusters. I'm not going to go into detail and spoil your fun but M62, M7, M80, M24, M22 and M9 fell prey in that order and I studied each a while.

I checked SkySafari and found that Europa was due for a shadow and shortly thereafter a moon transit were due shortly as well as the red spot nof long after. Well, why not just stay out till dawn. I put my TV Nagler 9mm and the Moon and Sky Glow filter in place and took a look, yep Europa was right at the planets limb. Time brought the shadow and moon onto the face of the planet, but the red spot near the limb just crept into view as I realized the seeing was really terrible because by then Jupiter was only 30 degrees above the horizon.

I packed it up and was happy I got out, time for some coffee to start the day.
Dennis ~ 45 years of astronomy and not giving up anytime soon
Explore Scientific 16" truss DOB; Explore Scientific 152mm carbon fiber triplet APO w/3" Feathertouch; Explore Scientific 80mm triplet; Apertura 10" DOB w/setting circle & Tweeker's dream; Celestron 9.25" EDGE; Celestron 14" EDGE with Feathertouch focuser; Celestron CGE Pro mount; Celestron AVX mount with ADM "D" saddle; QHY Polemaster; and my first, a Sears 60mm F/11 doublet; ZWO ASI294MC-Cool; 2" & 3" ES field flatteners; Televue 0.8 field flattener/reducer; lots of TV and ES eyepieces; Lunt solar wedge with Celestron XLT 102 refractor; Quark-C
Lady Fraktor Slovakia

Re: Quick but late report about Tuesday morning's session

Post by Lady Fraktor »

That sounds like a great viewing session!
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1000101)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
Don Quixote

Post by Don Quixote »

This is a fine report B.
I am glad you were able to stayed on the scope for the duration.
I am chomping at the bit here for a clear sky.
Cheers!
Harshil Canada

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Harshil »

A good morning session!
Telescope: Celestrone 76Az powerseeker
Softwere: Stellarium, Sky-Safari
Binocular: Olympus dps i 10x50

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/patelharshil_02/
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/deepskyastronomy
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYk_vU ... wgI2EVRWxw
helicon Online United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 597

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Very nice early session! I've kind of gotten into the early morning observing thing in the past year. (1) I'm getting up earlier than I used to and (2) light pollution and seeing are usually better. Thanks for the report.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Nice morning session Dennis! AVX with 9.25" as a grab and go? I guess everything is in perspective. :D

I was also trilled to get the first good look of the season of Jupiter the other night. It is huge now!
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Delos, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3122 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2196, S110: 77). Doubles: 2461, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 261
Bikerdib

Post by Bikerdib »

The AVX/9.25" Edge is definitely a quicker set up than the CGE PRO/14" Edge. If it hadn't been for the clouds around I would have set up the 14" combo. But, I cannot count the number of times I set up one of my scopes only to look up and be clouded out and have to just turn around and pack it in without so much as a look through an eyepiece.

People, if you haven't seen Jupiter this opposition, get out there!! I saw one pro astronomer (don't remember who) say the red spot may be gone in as little as a couple of years.
Explore Scientific 16" truss DOB; Explore Scientific 152mm carbon fiber triplet APO w/3" Feathertouch; Explore Scientific 80mm triplet; Apertura 10" DOB w/setting circle & Tweeker's dream; Celestron 9.25" EDGE; Celestron 14" EDGE with Feathertouch focuser; Celestron CGE Pro mount; Celestron AVX mount with ADM "D" saddle; QHY Polemaster; and my first, a Sears 60mm F/11 doublet; ZWO ASI294MC-Cool; 2" & 3" ES field flatteners; Televue 0.8 field flattener/reducer; lots of TV and ES eyepieces; Lunt solar wedge with Celestron XLT 102 refractor; Quark-C
John Baars Online Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Baars »

A great morning session with among others some lovely planets
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
Juno16 United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Wow, how nice is that!

Thanks,
Jim
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
bladekeeper

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bladekeeper »

A very pleasurable morning session, Dennis! Congrats!

Hopefully the incessant clouds will spare a clearing for Jupiter's opposition here. :)
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100

Bikerdib

Post by Bikerdib »

Thanks and I wish you luck Bryan.