A little somethin', somethin'

Let's see your reports!
quincy
Articles: 0

A little somethin', somethin'

Post by quincy »

Friday 5/31/2019

After a few days of thunderstorms, my yard really needed attention. I hate when my lawn looks more like a hay field than a lawn. So I mowed. When I was done, I felt like I was run over by a train, and when I stood back up, a semi-truck decided I still had some energy left and run me over just to make sure I was beaten.
I hate when that happens.

I set up early with the thoughts of grandeur. A clear night! But I was a tired puppy.
Well, it was clear, but the atmosphere decided I could not have that much fun. The transparency was yucky.
So, here's what I managed:

Flare (UV Cet) Stars:

CR Dra (AAVSO 1614+55): In Draco. Medium orange color. Around 10.4 mag. Secondary not observed (separation is at .1”)

DP Dra: In Draco. Light, boarding medium orange color. Around 10.2 mag. Secondary not observed (separation is at .3”)

Symbiotic Stars:

T CrB (AAVSO 1555+26): Symbiotic star. In Corona Borealis. Medium orange color. Appears to brightened slightly. Estimated around 9.7 mag.

AG Dra (AAVSO 1601+67): Symbiotic star. In Draco. Medium orange color. Appears to dimmed to around 10.0 mag.

Carbon Stars:

T Dra: One of the double stars which the primary is a carbon. Over time, this carbon has lost it's luster. Now a light, bordering medium orange color. But still one of my favorite carbons to observe. Around 10.6 mag. The secondary is white, separation at 17.3”.

Planetary Nebula:

NGC 6543 (Cat's Eye Nebula): Since I was fooling around Draco, I had to take a peek. The central star would dim in and out. Transparency was not the best. Though, a nice view.

M57 (Ring Nebula): A fun to visit. Just wish the transparency was better.

Globs:

Took in M13 & M92. Always love to visit these beauties.

Finished the night with a long look at Jupiter and the moons. Actually my first view of this season for me. It was a bit disappointing view, being washed out with it's low altitude right now, and a lot of water vapor in the air. But I'll take it. It could be much worse.
Jim

Orion 80mm Table Top Refractor, Orion XT12g
7x35 Bushnell & Gordon 10 x 50 Binoculars, and my aging Peepers
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 597

TSS Awards Badges

Re: A little somethin', somethin'

Post by helicon »

Nice session Jim considering the less than optimal conditions. A good haul of different star types and you managed a couple of planetaries as well. You remind me that I need to mow the backyard today and also do some weed whacking. Hopefully I will not be too tired to take the scopes out as it looks like it might be clear this eve.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
quincy

Post by quincy »

helicon wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:48 pm Nice session Jim considering the less than optimal conditions. A good haul of different start types and you managed a couple of planetaries as well. You remind me that I need to mow the backyard today and also do some weed whacking. Hopefully I will not be too tired to take the scopes out as it looks like it might be clear this eve.
Look out for those trains and trucks. They seem to sneak up on you.
Jim

Juno16 United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Very nice report Jim!

You managed some really nice targets despite the lousy transparency.

I admire your stamina! When I get beat down, it is really hard to get up for a session. It’s especially hard when the sky has been bad for awhile.
You done good!

Great report!

Thanks,
Jim
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
quincy

Post by quincy »

Juno16 wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:09 pm Very nice report Jim!

You managed some really nice targets despite the lousy transparency.

I admire your stamina! When I get beat down, it is really hard to get up for a session. It’s especially hard when the sky has been bad for awhile.
You done good!

Great report!

Thanks,
Jim
With this weather, I try to observe whenever it's available. Never know when the next good night will pop up.
Jim

chicagorandy Online United States of America

Post by chicagorandy »

Kudos on the sightings. I have a tiny yard between my Chicago bungalow and the garage. I 'don't do' farming so my 'usual' yard-work protocol involves apathy, inertia and procrastination. As a result I had to shag three goats and a small pony hiding out there in the yard two days ago before I could attack the substantial very tall growth of mostly weeds with a few blades of grass mixed in.

I actually ended up not using my small electric mower and instead used a 15" electric string trimmer/weed whacker. MUCH easier and actually more effective against the tall standing crop of doom. I swear one of these days if I come into some $$$ I'm gonna just pave the durn thing and be done with it. You don't have to mow asphalt. lol

Chicago too has had pretty much nothing but rain for the whole month of May. All next week is forecast for more of the same. My neighbor, a normally nice old guy named Noah, had me up all darn night with his sawing and hammering. I wonder what the heck he's building?
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." Abraham Lincoln
We may not have it all together, but together we have it all.
The older I get, the better I was.

Celestron Nexstar+ 127 SLT, several budget plossl eyepieces, Celestron 8-24mm zoom EP and a 12.5mm illuminated double reticle EP, Svbony SV205 camera w/.5 focal reducer, Celestron SkyMaster 20x80 binos on a 40 yr old QuickSet PanHead tripod, Stellarium, Sharpcap and ManyCam on my laptop, SkyView and Nightshift on my phone and a dandy little $9 red-light flashlight.
Lady Fraktor Slovakia

Post by Lady Fraktor »

A good session Jim, nothing but scorching heat in the day and thundershowers in the evening the last few days here so no viewing joy to be had. :(
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1000101)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
quincy

Post by quincy »

All this rain and thunderstorms are something.
But today is the official Hurricane season. I wonder what's in store for us.
Jim

quincy

Post by quincy »

chicagorandy wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:31 pm Kudos on the sightings. I have a tiny yard between my Chicago bungalow and the garage. I 'don't do' farming so my 'usual' yard-work protocol involves apathy, inertia and procrastination. As a result I had to shag three goats and a small pony hiding out there in the yard two days ago before I could attack the substantial very tall growth of mostly weeds with a few blades of grass mixed in.

I actually ended up not using my small electric mower and instead used a 15" electric string trimmer/weed whacker. MUCH easier and actually more effective against the tall standing crop of doom. I swear one of these days if I come into some $$$ I'm gonna just pave the durn thing and be done with it. You don't have to mow asphalt. lol

Chicago too has had pretty much nothing but rain for the whole month of May. All next week is forecast for more of the same. My neighbor, a normally nice old guy named Noah, had me up all darn night with his sawing and hammering. I wonder what the heck he's building?
I know many Amish folks where I live. You made me remind of Noah. He's not the sharpest in the knife drawer.
Another Amish gent I know farms. He's sharper than Noah, but if you don't look at him while he speaks, you'd swear you're talking to Droopy (the cartoon dog).
Jim

bladekeeper

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bladekeeper »

Glad you got out, Jim!

I've had one peek at Jupiter so far as well, and your description matches mine to the letter.

So much moisture in the air. Supposed to be clear for a bit this evening, but I can see the cloud bullpen from my front window to the west, and it looks like they are just waiting for me to pull a mount out. :D
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100

Don Quixote

Post by Don Quixote »

That's a nice little somethin' Jim.
I'm sittin' on the side of the road here with my scope in the passenger seat and I think I'm smellin' somethin'.
I think it's a skunk.
Yup...I've been skunked...clouds all over me.

Well, it was nice to read your report ! :-)
Bravo, and cheers !
Bigzmey Online United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Nice catches there Jim, despite some not so nice conditions. You are right we should take what we can.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Delos, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3122 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2196, S110: 77). Doubles: 2461, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 261
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 597

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

While Saturday looked good for awhile it ended up being foggy both Saturday and Sunday night. A bane of living on the coast. I've hauled out the 6" scope this afternoon in hopes that there will be some observing, or as one might call it - a race against the fog.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
SKEtrip United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

Post by SKEtrip »

Well done in tough conditions Jim.
I had the same hopes Friday and Saturday night - Friday was a test of will and comedy of equipment errors.
Saturday started great, but we got smoked out by the wildfires our Canadian Brothers and Sisters are enduring.
Bad enough that if I didn't know better & had to guess I'd of though Mars was at a close opposition.

Well done, keep swinging!
AD10, SV102T, AR127 & ST80
M2 & SW AZEQ6 GT Mounts
ES82 11 18 24, ES100 5.5 9 14 20, KK Orthos, BCO's, Vixen HR 2.4, 3.4 Vortex 10X50,
ACD 75 Astro Mutt - Rest in Peace Wubby
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Robert A. Heinlein

Kanadalainen

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Kanadalainen »

Hi Jim,

Good for you to do some observations even despite the workday. That takes grit... :)
Ian

Fracs: Stellarvue 70T f6; SW 120mm Esprit f7; "Mark Mk. II" - 60 mm Tasco f6; C80 frac f 11.4
SCT: C8 Edge f10 or f7 with reducer
Dob: 14.5" homebuilt strut dob (f4.5 ZOC mirror), Nexus II, Moonlite focuser
Mounts - Ioptron Skyguider pro, Astro Physics GTO900
Cameras and lenses - ZWO 2600 mc, 290 mm mini, Canon 60D modded with Rokinon 10mm 2.8; Rokinon 135mm f2

Skysafari 6 Pro, Astro Pixel Processor, Pixinsight - using Mac tablet and ASIair pro to run the AP rig.

"Mothers! It is there!" - Rafael Gonzales-Acuna, 2018.