Observing Report for 25 May 2019 - playing fog yo-yo

Let's see your reports!
kt4hx Online United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Observing Report for 25 May 2019 - playing fog yo-yo

Post by kt4hx »

The second day/night of our stay at the dark site house was a combination of work about the property, thunderstorms and indecisive conditions. A strong afternoon thunderstorm passed through, which would presage fog later in the valley where we were. This indeed came to fruition as the sun was heading down and the air began to cool. I could see a lot of ground mist rising across the valley, while the sky above us was heavily clouded. So, I stretched out in the recliner and dozed for a while, not overly optimistic for the evening.

Conditions were, to be polite, crap, when I awoke from my nap. So we watched television for a while and I would check conditions periodically. At 2030 hours things were still a mix of fog and clouds, with the check at 2130 being similar, though by now a few of the brighter stars were showing through breaks. When the clock hit 2230 the sky was showing promise, though there was still some lower levels of fog around, the sky was mostly clear. Plus, I had distant lightening flashes to the north and south though no thunder was heard. So with that I made the snap decision to roll the big feller out of the garage and set up my table and other accoutrement. Since I live by the credo that no good deed goes unpunished, after setting up my stuff, doing collimation and finder alignment, the fog made a speedy and aggressive comeback! By 2300 hours I was re-stowing the gear back in the garage and decided to capitulate as the fog was quickly gaining elevation, obliterating the sky above.

Fast forward to about 2340, with trepidation I ventured out to the front porch to take a gander. Wouldn’t you know it, the fog had once more dropped and the sky had cleared and looked rather good considering the humidity levels. I still had the distant lightening flashes, but otherwise, things seemed fine. I had initially felt I would simplify things and just carry the Z10 out, but I decided to go whole hog and bring out the 17.5 inch yet again, with the idea that if things tanked again, that would be the end.

So with my gear set up once more, collimation re-done and finder alignment fine tuned, I began a journey that I knew would only last for just over two hours at best before the moon was due to bring its disruptive presence to the sky. Just like the previous evening I observed mostly at 110x (18mm) and 181x (11mm), with the odd use of 297x (6.7mm). Since I concluded in Libra the last session, I decided to go back there to pick up where I left off, even though I knew conditions would be a little murky at the lower declinations due to the persistent fog near the ground. So with that, I turned the scope toward the bright double Alpha Librae (Zubenelgenubi) and the short session got underway, beginning on chart 68 of the IDSA.

NGC 5796 (Libra, lenticular galaxy, mag=11.6, size=2.5’x1.8’, SBr=13.2):
Just over 2° ESE of Alpha Lib I picked up this somewhat bright oval. Small in size visually, it sported an intermittent stellar core at 110x that became more evident at 181x.

NGC 5793 (Libra, spiral galaxy, mag=13.2, size=1.7’x0.6’, SBr=13.0):
In the same field of view as the previous object and about 4’ to its south I suspected this spiral’s presence at 110x. This was confirmed using 181x as a dim small, elongated homogenous glow.

NGC 5791 (Libra, elliptical galaxy, mag=11.7, size=2.6’x1.3’, SBr=13.0):
This elliptical was my next target and at 110x it appeared as a small and somewhat bright oval. Diffuse and evenly illuminated initially, at 181x an intermittent stellar core was detected.

IC 1077 (Libra, barred spiral galaxy, mag=12.6, size=1.4’x1.1’, SBr=13.0):
About 20’ of NGC 5791 I nailed down this small round dust bunny. Subtly bright, it was homogenous in appearance. Viewed at 181x and 297x a dim foreground star was visible slightly off-set from the center of the galaxy.

ESO 581-16 (Libra, elliptical galaxy, mag=12.8, size=1.4’x0.6’, SBr=12.6):
Slipping east of NGC 5791 about 44’ I swept up this subtle oval of fuzzy light. Small and homogenous, it became more apparent at 181x, yet remained dim overall.Despites its listed data it was simply not a strong presence in the field.

NGC 5863 (Libra, barred spiral galaxy, mag=12.8, size=1.4’x1.2’, SBr=13.3):
Next up was this barred spiral. Viewed at 110x it was a subtly bright small round homogenous glow. With 181x and 297x an intermittent stellar core was present, otherwise it remained diffuse in appearance.

NGC 5897 (Libra, globular cluster, mag=8.4, size=11.0’, SBr=13.3, class=11):
Noticing on chart 68-left that this globular was SSE of NGC 5863 I decided to re-visit this previously observed object. My only observations of this cluster were with smaller aperture under brighter skies where it was elusive. I was glad I decided to visit it with more aperture under dark skies as the difference was exponential. I only observed it with 110x but it was big and very in your face within the field of view. Its lack of concentration was readily apparent as it was evenly illuminated across its dimension. But there were several curves and swirls of stars on its near side resolved across the face, with the ever present backdrop of unresolved haziness of the main body of the cluster. Overall it was round in shape though the edges seemed slightly ragged. It was quite stunning actually and well worth the little sidetrack to see it in a way that I could truly appreciate its delicate beauty.

NGC 5890 (Libra, lenticular galaxy, mag=12.6, size=1.5’x1.0’, SBr=12.9
Found with 110x this lenticular presented a slightly dim oval that was small in size and homogenous in appearance. Trying with 181x it gave the impression of a thick oval and remained diffuse across its angular dimension. A dim 13.9 mag field star was noted just off its eastern tip.

NGC 5756 (Libra, barred spiral galaxy, mag=12.3, size=2.1’x0.9’, SBr=12.9):
Moving northwest of Alpha Lib I found this barred spiral. It was slightly bright at 110x, and presented as a homogenous small and elongated glow. Viewed with 181x, a fleeting stellar core became evident within its center.

IC 1055 (Libra, spiral galaxy, mag=12.6, size=2.2’x0.8’, SBr=12.7):
I next swept up this small sliver of homogenous light at 110x. Subtly bright, even at 181x it remained a diffuse thin chalk mark of light.

NGC 5745 (Libra, spiral galaxy, mag=12.5, size=1.7’x1.2’, SBr=13.1):
Despite its numbers, this spiral appeared very dim at 110x, presenting a small and diffuse oval. Viewed with 181x and then 297x I picked up what seemed a perplexing secondary enhancement that I initially suspected of being a second galaxy at its southern edge. However, during after session research I found that this galaxy is bisected along its major axis by a dust lane, which is evident in images. While I did not directly observe this structural detail (as one might in NGC 4565 or NGC 891) I believe what I was seeing was its visual impact of splitting the galaxy into two distinct light sources.

NGC 5742 (Libra, barred lenticular galaxy, mag=13.0, size=1.3’x0.5’, SBr=12.3):
Spotted at 110x, this galaxy was slightly bright. Small and oval, it appeared homogenous overall. There was no real change in its appearance at 181x however.

NGC 5741 (Libra, elliptical galaxy, mag=13.6, size=1.1’x1.1’, SBr=13.5):
Just over 7’ southeast of NGC 5742, I pinned down this little bit dim round glow in the same field of view. Overall all it presented as homogenous, an appearance that didn’t change at 181x.

An interesting aside here is that the IDSA has the labels crossed for these two galaxies. They label what is NGC 5741 as NGC 5742 and vice versa. Ordinarily the labels shown in the atlas would be correct as NGC labels typically increment upward with increasing R.A. However, exceptions to this rule do exist and this is one of those cases. Just another of the little errors I find from time to time in the atlas. It’s no big deal, but something that is avoidable in my view.

NGC 5605 (Libra, barred spiral galaxy, mag=12.3, size=1.6’x1.3’, SBr=13.0):
Moving westward toward the border with Virgo I swept up this small but somewhat bright barred spiral. Rounded in shape, it appeared diffuse and evenly illuminated. This characteristic held even at 181x.

NGC 5595 (Libra, barred spiral galaxy, mag=12.0, size=2.2’x1.2’, SBr=13.0):
Moving southward from the previous object, and passing over an asterism I’d previously observed (Alessi J1423.7-1256), I picked up this somewhat large yet little bit dim elongated glow. Diffuse with no central brightness, it didn’t improve appreciably at 181x.

NGC 5597 (Libra, barred spiral galaxy, mag=12.0, size=2.1’x1.7’, SBr=13.2):
In the same FOV and about 4’ to the southeast of the previous galaxy, I spotted this somewhat large and dim glow. Round and homogenous, its appearance changed little when viewed at 181x.

NGC 5728 (Libra, spiral galaxy, mag=11.3, size=3.1’x1.8’, SBr=13.1):
Sliding back east I easily spotted this somewhat bright and small elongated diffuse glow. Sporting a stellar core that grew in intensity at 181x, it was clearly dominant in its field.

I finally became tired of the murkiness of the sky toward the lower southern declinations and the resulting difficulties at keeping good focus in the eyepiece. To that end I swung the scope in a different direction in hopes of more stable viewing. Pondering a moment, I remembered that I had not observed the beautiful low surface brightness galaxy NGC 6946 (aka Fireworks Galaxy) that straddles the Cygnus-Cepheus border. So that would be my first port of call in the last third of my evening before the moon brightened the sky.

NGC 6946 (Cygnus, barred spiral galaxy, mag=8.8, size=11.5’x9.8’, SBr=13.8):
I now turned to the IDSA chart 9-left to continue on with my journey. In locating the field for this galaxy, which was easy enough, I immediately noticed that the view in this direction and elevation was much cleaner, which bode well for the last part of my journey. Aiming the scope at mag 4.3 Eta Cephei, I slipped SSW 2° and the galaxy slid into view. It was large and diaphanous in appearance. I settled in with 110x to study it a few moments.

I have only observed this one from our moderately light polluted back yard with the 10 and 12 inch, where it was challenging as a very dim round patch of haze. In this case, with more aperture and significantly darker skies, it was wonderful. It presented as a large and bright oval that had a diffuse appearance. As I continued to observe its spiral structure began to take form to my eye. Not in a bold manner, but rather in a subtle sense. I could detect the delicate swirl of its arms arcing outward from a core that exhibited a very slight increase in brightness. Beautiful and subtle it was such a graceful object, like fine grain sugar spun into cotton candy.

NGC 6824 (Cygnus, spiral galaxy, mag=12.2, size=1.7’x1.2’, SBr=12.8):
Enjoying the cleaner views in the direction of Cygnus, I decided to work some galaxies there, remaining on chart 9 for a bit. This small oval presented as somewhat bright at 110x. I noted an intermittent stellar core that was held steady at 181x, plus a couple of dim foreground stars imposed upon the galaxy’s halo.

UGC 11453 (Cygnus, spiral galaxy, mag=12.0, size=1.7’x1.3’, SBr=12.7):
Nearly 3° southwest of NGC 6824 I swept up this small and rounded glow at 110x. Dim and homogenous, I found its visual presentation out of line with the data I found for it in the Uranometria DSFG. I was expecting a much brighter object, but that was not the case here, despite being 100% certain of its identification. Even at 181x it wasn’t a significant presence in the field. Unfortunately this was just another example of having to take such info with at least a small grain of salt.

NGC 6798 (Cygnus, lenticular galaxy, mag=13.2, size=1.6’x0.9’, SBr=13.5):
Moving WSW toward mag 3.8 Kappa Cygni, I pulled down this very small and dim pip of diffuse light at 110x. Viewed with 181x it was a small and dim oval with even illumination and no hint of central brightness.

NGC 6764 (Cygnus, barred spiral galaxy, mag=11.8, size=2.3’x1.3’, SBr=12.9):
Moving southwest from Kappa I located this somewhat bright and slightly large oval glow snuggled up against the border with Draco. At 110x I picked up hints of very dim foreground stars involved in the galaxy’s envelope. With 181x I counted at least three dim stars imposed upon the homogenous halo.

NGC 6826 (Cygnus, planetary nebula, mag=8.9, size=0.5’, SBr=7.1):
Since I was near the so-called “Blinking Planetary” I decided to stop a moment to take a gander. At 110x it was bright and large in the field of view as a pale blue orb, with its mag 10.4 central star very obvious. With this aperture the blinking effect is not as noticeable as with smaller apertures. Using direct vision there is some shrinkage of the planetary envelope and increase of central star visibility, but it’s not as prominent. When viewed with averted vision the envelope did increase in size and the presence of the central star decrease, but again, the differences were not as noticeable as with less aperture. Nonetheless, it was still a pretty object worthy of a short detour.

UGC 11465 (Cygnus, spiral galaxy, mag=12.8, size=1.2’x1.2’, SBr=13.0):
Just west of the bright planetary and north of 16 Cyg I scooped up this very small and dim round glow. Viewed all the way up to 297x it remained very small and somewhat dim visually, and lacked any central brightness.

MCG+8-36-3 (Cygnus, spiral galaxy, mag=13.8, size=0.8’x0.7’, SBr=12.8):
Just to the south of UGC 11465 between it and 16 Cyg, I picked up this little spiral. At 110x it was difficult but seen. Even at 181x and 297x it was very small and dim. Round in shape it remained a diaphanous glow with no perceived central brightness.

Messier 51 / NGC 5194 (Canes Venatici, spiral galaxy, mag=8.4, size=11.2’x6.9’, SBr=12.9):
NGC 5195 (Canes Venatici, barred lenticular galaxy, mag=9.6, size=5.8’x4.6’, SBr=12.9):

The sky was brightening along the eastern side of the valley where the moon was coming up beyond the ridgeline. So, deciding to call it a night, I moved into Canes Venatici for a couple of final objects. Since I re-observed NGC 6946 earlier, with its very delicate spiral structure I thought I would try Messier 51 and its more obvious spiral detail as a comparison.

Finding its field is a simple act of memory since I’ve been there so many times over the years. At 110x it was quickly and easily swept up as a large and bright oval, along with the oval of its companion NGC 5195. Settling in for a bit I studied the field and the first thing apparent was the bright cores embedded within both galaxies. Then as my eye relaxed and adjusted to the view, the very obvious spiral structure of M51 took form. This feature was much bolder than was that of NGC 6946. It was easy to see the bright curve of the arms contrasted with the dark lanes lining them.

I next studied the area between the two galaxies. After a moment the connecting bridge of gas and dust was clearly seen. The whole package was there boldly and brightly at 110x and a true treat since it’ has been a while since I’d taken any time to view these objects.

SN 2019ein (Canes Venatici, supernova in NGC 5353):
My final act for the evening was to re-visit the supernova in NGC 5353 that was observed the evening before. I really didn’t do any comparisons to surrounding stars. Rather I simply wanted to behold this tiny little diamond embedded in the halo of the lenticular galaxy while I had the chance. Initially seen at 110x, it became a steady presence at 181x. How long its show will last I am uncertain. But, it serves as a reminder of the the forces at work within our universe that allow a single star around 110 MLY distant to become visible to our small scopes, if even for a brief time.

And with that, the outing was over. The sky was getting increasingly brighter as I was stowing the gear back in the garage. I was indeed happy that I had endured the yo-yo action of the fog as it rose, fell, rose again and then fell for good. Actually sometime after 0100 a breeze developed from the south and it warmed the air. The temps were in the mid-60s give or take and I was out in shorts and a t-shirt for the entire session, and felt comfortable.

Thanks for tagging along on my two nights under a dark sky. Though conditions were not superior they were quite fine for me and my big light scoop to do what we do and enjoy best – galaxy hunting. Until next time, keep looking up friends. :)
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
bobharmony
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Observing Report for 25 May 2019 - playing fog yo-yo

Post by bobharmony »

Another fine session after a few fits and starts! I somehow get the feeling that the Spirit of Bladekeeper has moved on and is now inhabiting your person. I remember when we used to get this kind of reporting from Bryan!

Great read on some nice observations.

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

Bikerdib

Post by Bikerdib »

Made the most of what you were handed by mother nature. Sounds like a fun night Alan.
Dennis ~ 45 years of astronomy and not giving up anytime soon
Explore Scientific 16" truss DOB; Explore Scientific 152mm carbon fiber triplet APO w/3" Feathertouch; Explore Scientific 80mm triplet; Apertura 10" DOB w/setting circle & Tweeker's dream; Celestron 9.25" EDGE; Celestron 14" EDGE with Feathertouch focuser; Celestron CGE Pro mount; Celestron AVX mount with ADM "D" saddle; QHY Polemaster; and my first, a Sears 60mm F/11 doublet; ZWO ASI294MC-Cool; 2" & 3" ES field flatteners; Televue 0.8 field flattener/reducer; lots of TV and ES eyepieces; Lunt solar wedge with Celestron XLT 102 refractor; Quark-C
Kanadalainen

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Kanadalainen »

Alan wrote:

"NGC 6946 (Cygnus, barred spiral galaxy, mag=8.8, size=11.5’x9.8’, SBr=13.8):
I now turned to the IDSA chart 9-left to continue on with my journey. In locating the field for this galaxy, which was easy enough, I immediately noticed that the view in this direction and elevation was much cleaner, which bode well for the last part of my journey. Aiming the scope at mag 4.3 Eta Cephei, I slipped SSW 2° and the galaxy slid into view. It was large and diaphanous in appearance. I settled in with 110x to study it a few moments.

I have only observed this one from our moderately light polluted back yard with the 10 and 12 inch, where it was challenging as a very dim round patch of haze. In this case, with more aperture and significantly darker skies, it was wonderful. It presented as a large and bright oval that had a diffuse appearance. As I continued to observe its spiral structure began to take form to my eye. Not in a bold manner, but rather in a subtle sense. I could detect the delicate swirl of its arms arcing outward from a core that exhibited a very slight increase in brightness. Beautiful and subtle it was such a graceful object, like fine grain sugar spun into cotton candy."

Really well stated Alan, bravo. This is a great read.

Ian
Ian

Fracs: Stellarvue 70T f6; SW 120mm Esprit f7; "Mark Mk. II" - 60 mm Tasco f6; C80 frac f 11.4
SCT: C8 Edge f10 or f7 with reducer
Dob: 14.5" homebuilt strut dob (f4.5 ZOC mirror), Nexus II, Moonlite focuser
Mounts - Ioptron Skyguider pro, Astro Physics GTO900
Cameras and lenses - ZWO 2600 mc, 290 mm mini, Canon 60D modded with Rokinon 10mm 2.8; Rokinon 135mm f2

Skysafari 6 Pro, Astro Pixel Processor, Pixinsight - using Mac tablet and ASIair pro to run the AP rig.

"Mothers! It is there!" - Rafael Gonzales-Acuna, 2018.
Don Quixote

Post by Don Quixote »

Thank you for another great report Alan.
When I read your post title I saw "frog yo-yo" and that drew me in. :-)

Thus far my skies will not support the targets you have so expertly observed, but it is fun to read along.
Thank you.
10538 United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

Post by 10538 »

What a great report Alan! Thanks for sharing it with us! It’s always a pleasure to follow along with you and I especially enjoy your descriptions of your views through the eyepiece! Excellent work!
Ed :Astronomer1:
Scopes: Orion 14 inch f/4.6 Dobsonian w/MoonLite focuser. Meade LX200 Classic 10”w/AudioStar and MoonLite focuser, Criterion RV6, Orion ST80A w/2” GSO micro focuser.
Eyepieces: ES 5.5mm 100*, 6.7mm 82*, 11mm 82*, 14mm 100*, 18mm 82*, 20mm 100*, Meade 9mm XWA 100*, 24mm UWA 82*, 56mm 50*, TV Delos 6,8 & 10mm, Panoptic 24, 27 & 35mm, 17mm Nagler, Powermate 2X, Baader 6mm Ortho, Paracorr II.
MISC: William Optics Binoviewer, Revolution 2 Imager, Orion Skyview Pro Mount, Skymaster 15x70, 20x70, 25x100 Binos, HoTech Collimator, Kendrick Dew System,Catsperch Chair.
Messier 110 Complete/ Messier 110 Sketches Complete / Herschel 400 Complete / H-2 and H-3 Complete
Bortle 3 Skies in Down Eastern NC
“Starlight, I hear you calling out to me so far away” Jeff Lynne ELO.
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 597

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Thanks for the great report Alan. You manage to do in a couple of hours what it takes some of us a month or more to do (that is if we have clear skies). Really appreciate the excellent descriptions and prose that allow us to follow along closely with your evening sojourns. I was going to re-quote some of your report but Ian has already quoted it, so I'll refrain. Looking forward to your next session with great anticipation.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

bobharmony wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 6:49 pm Another fine session after a few fits and starts! I somehow get the feeling that the Spirit of Bladekeeper has moved on and is now inhabiting your person. I remember when we used to get this kind of reporting from Bryan!

Great read on some nice observations.

Bob
Thanks Bob. Nope, my spirit is my own, and the same one I've had for decades now! :) Bryan still has his, just that it has been on extended vacation due to his protracted weather ills. :D
Bikerdib wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 7:29 pm Made the most of what you were handed by mother nature. Sounds like a fun night Alan.
Thank you Dennis. Mother nature can be fickle and in this case I kept rolling the dice and finally beat the house. But, I was indeed on my last roll for the evening! :)
Kanadalainen wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 7:52 pm Alan wrote:

"NGC 6946 (Cygnus, barred spiral galaxy, mag=8.8, size=11.5’x9.8’, SBr=13.8):

I have only observed this one from our moderately light polluted back yard with the 10 and 12 inch, where it was challenging as a very dim round patch of haze. In this case, with more aperture and significantly darker skies, it was wonderful. It presented as a large and bright oval that had a diffuse appearance. As I continued to observe its spiral structure began to take form to my eye. Not in a bold manner, but rather in a subtle sense. I could detect the delicate swirl of its arms arcing outward from a core that exhibited a very slight increase in brightness. Beautiful and subtle it was such a graceful object, like fine grain sugar spun into cotton candy."

Really well stated Alan, bravo. This is a great read.

Ian
Thank you very much Ian. Not everyone understands on an intimate level why we do what we do. It is not always something that can be put into so many words. But I do try my best to convey not only what I see with the physical eye, but sometimes what I see with the mind's eye as well. :)
Don Quixote wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 8:35 pm Thank you for another great report Alan.
When I read your post title I saw "frog yo-yo" and that drew me in. :-)

Thus far my skies will not support the targets you have so expertly observed, but it is fun to read along.
Thank you.
Thanks Mark. Frog yo-yo works too if that is what drew you in! :D I am happy that you enjoyed the read. I too read of objects that big guns observe that I know I will not, but that is ok, because no matter what level we participate at, there are more than enough objects to keep us active for our lifetimes. :)
10538 wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 9:23 pm What a great report Alan! Thanks for sharing it with us! It’s always a pleasure to follow along with you and I especially enjoy your descriptions of your views through the eyepiece! Excellent work!
Many thanks Ed. I appreciate that you read and enjoy the stories of my journeys through the night sky. Though I observe alone, it is nice to know that I am not truly alone in my love of the night sky. :)
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

helicon wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 10:08 pm Thanks for the great report Alan. You manage to do in a couple of hours what it takes some of us a month or more to do (that is if we have clear skies). Really appreciate the excellent descriptions and prose that allow us to follow along closely with your evening sojourns. I was going to re-quote some of your report but Ian has already quoted it, so I'll refrain. Looking forward to your next session with great anticipation.
Thank you very much Michael. I truly appreciate you and others following along. Though we are scattered here and there, we do have a very strong common thread that binds us. I also believe that by sharing our field sessions, we each can learn and grow through the experiences of others. :)
Alan

bladekeeper

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bladekeeper »

Well, that was touch and go there for a while, but it panned out in your favor! Very nice, Alan!

I've got a sizeable list of Libra galaxies to tackle, but dang it, I get the unclenched sky I need to dive in. I'm sounding like a broken record...

Well done on the Cygnus contingent. Observing galaxies there is like trying to drink water through a window screen. :lol:

Well done, my friend!
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100

John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Baars »

What a fine report! Excellent!
Thank you!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

bladekeeper wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 5:56 am Well, that was touch and go there for a while, but it panned out in your favor! Very nice, Alan!

I've got a sizeable list of Libra galaxies to tackle, but dang it, I get the unclenched sky I need to dive in. I'm sounding like a broken record...

Well done on the Cygnus contingent. Observing galaxies there is like trying to drink water through a window screen. :lol:

Well done, my friend!
Thank you Bryan. Yeah, sometimes I have the patience of Job and other times not. I am of course happy that I stayed the course in this case.

There are of course plenty of galaxies in Libra, but not any I would call excessively bright. Of course for some folks, its lower declination and general horizon clutter can render them problematic. But certainly worth a shot if you have the view and reasonable conditions.

Cygnus, well as you said.... :) But after the fantastic view of NGC 6946 I just had to see what I could ferret out. I ran a search in ST3 setting a dimmest mag of 14.0 in Cygnus and it returned 11 galaxies. Of course there are far more than that within its borders, but its not an easy constellation for galaxy hunters. A similar search for Sagitta, but upping the limit to mag 15.0 returned a meager two objects, of 14.9 and 14.5. So when one digs in around the MW plane, things do indeed get squirrely for galaxies. Then again, there are so many other things in that part of the sky to draw our attention, so in those cases, we are not left high and dry. :)

John Baars wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 3:53 pm What a fine report! Excellent!
Thank you!
Thanks John. I would say it was far more fun to experience than to write it up! :)
Alan

Caddman United States of America

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Caddman »

That was an excellent report. I looks like you had a very productive session in spite of the hazy conditions.
Glenn

Telescopes; Stellarvue SVA130T, WO GT71, Orion SkyQuest XT10, Orion 10" f/3.9 Astrograph
Mounts; Atlas EQ-G, Celestron CGX-L
Binoculars; Oberwerk LW 11 X 70, Oberwerk 25 X 100
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

I salute your perseverance Alan! It paid of wonderfully.

If I deploy and pack up once, typically I don't have enough wind left in my sails to turn around and do it again.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Delos, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3122 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2196, S110: 77). Doubles: 2461, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 261

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Caddman wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 7:19 pm That was an excellent report. I looks like you had a very productive session in spite of the hazy conditions.
Thanks Glenn. Indeed, quite productive, as it turned out far better than I expected at various times. :)
Bigzmey wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 8:30 pm I salute your perseverance Alan! It paid of wonderfully.

If I deploy and pack up once, typically I don't have enough wind left in my sails to turn around and do it again.
Thank you Andrey. Sometimes if I get bumped, I don't try again. This happened to be one of the times when I decided at the last second to give it one more go. I was fortunate that was the right decision. Since the big dob stays fully assembled and ready to roll out of the garage, that part is not so labor intensive. Just the breaking down and setting of the other smaller bits and pieces. But again, as you said, it was well worth the extra effort. :)
Alan