Let's see your reports!
Kanadalainen
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Pelican Inlet - Shaking hands with the Dolphin

Post by Kanadalainen »

Ian’s May 25 Report – Shaking hands with the Dolphin in Pelican Inlet

Locale: The cabin (200 klicks north of Winnipeg)
Conditions: Excellent transparency, very good seeing, Bortle 2 skies
Equipment: Pentax 8 x 40 binoculars; reclining lawn chair
Time: 12:19 am to 1:40 am

We packed up on Friday evening and travelled up to Pelican Inlet. The forecast was for solid rain all weekend, and I left my usual optics behind in the city. Sure enough it rained all day Friday and Saturday morning, but then the skies cleared, the sun beamed, the meadow steamed, the trees shook themselves clear of water, and the lake sparkled with whitecaps from a steady Westerly breeze.

As I worked in the back yard to prepare a small spot for my planned astro deck, I noted two grey owl chicks in a tall spruce checking out my movements. As the wind blew the tree top ever so slightly, their heads moved to compensate in a miniature tandem ballet as they kept their stares locked upon me. The chicks are already the size of small chickens, and just developing their famous tufted ears. Mama showed up sporadically all day long to bring them mice, and an unlucky ruffed grouse, with with they ate with leisure. Daddy was nowhere to be seen, having long flown the “coop”.

I stayed up with the family and around midnight, noted the sky’s extreme clarity which always seems to accompany a long deluge of rain. I grabbed my binoculars and chair and began to stargaze and practice my star hops. It was the kind of night wherein the stars don’t sparkle much, and dim clumps of stars appear very readily with the naked eye. In some cases I used averted vision cues to prompt me to examine those targets more closely.

I love observing in spring, as there are no insects and the temps are nice, the human activity is also minimal. I did the entire observation session in my pajamas, ha ha. Too much information – you may well protest.

Ursa Major – I was able to split Mizar and Alcor with no drama, and then jumped over briefly to Cor Caroli. Back to Ursa Major, I jumped to Tania Australis (uUMA), which appear with other stars as the second set of gazelle tracks in the southern part of the constellation.

Coma V – the Coma star cluster was magnificent with the naked eye and especially so in the Pentax’ 8* FOV. 16Com and 17Com were particularly fun to view, with their attendant small sub-groups of stars.

Spica and Arcturus, in their usual spots, so useful for a two-star alignment when I am armed with more forbidding scopes, ushered in more niceties to the South and East. I note that Virgo and Leo have begun their drop into the West at this time. I’ve got to get more big telescope time somehow to grab their riches of galaxies. Looking south over the lake and at maximum depression, I was able to spot some of Scorpius dancing on horizon. Welcome back Scorpius, loaded with rich and unusual astro goodies!

Moving East, I noted the summer triangle with Vulpecula and Delphinus, in proximity to the plane of the Milky Way. From the relatively sombre and quiet solitude of Ursa M to this segment of the galactic plane, with my humble binos is to witness a riot of stars, and on this evening, so numerous that one simply has to stare for a while and recalibrate landmark stars, which become lost in the embarrassment of riches.

As Andrey said once “Why can’t all evenings/sessions be like this?”

In Delph, Job’s coffin made itself apparent. Just to the south Theta Delph and a small cluster of companions of similar magnitude were noted.

I moved up into Cygnus to search for the Veils and the N. American and gamma Cyg nebuli, but I couldn’t confirm this on this evening.

Mama Grey Owl welcomed me back to the south side of the cabin with a few low hoots to remind me that her kids needed their sleep and that perhaps I should go to bed myself, so I quietly moved the chair back to the deck and packed it in.

As always, thanks for reading to the bottom.

Ian
Ian

Fracs: Stellarvue 70T f6; SW 120mm Esprit f7; "Mark Mk. II" - 60 mm Tasco f6; C80 frac f 11.4
SCT: C8 Edge f10 or f7 with reducer
Dob: 14.5" homebuilt strut dob (f4.5 ZOC mirror), Nexus II, Moonlite focuser
Mounts - Ioptron Skyguider pro, Astro Physics GTO900
Cameras and lenses - ZWO 2600 mc, 290 mm mini, Canon 60D modded with Rokinon 10mm 2.8; Rokinon 135mm f2

Skysafari 6 Pro, Astro Pixel Processor, Pixinsight - using Mac tablet and ASIair pro to run the AP rig.

"Mothers! It is there!" - Rafael Gonzales-Acuna, 2018.
bladekeeper

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Pelican Inlet - Shaking hands with the Dolphin

Post by bladekeeper »

Very nice reporting, Ian! Your sky sounded magnificent!

Up late here as well due to tornado warning. Dull grey and socked in right now. Unfortunately, in this case, the evenings are all like this. :lol:
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100

Kanadalainen

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Kanadalainen »

bladekeeper wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 4:12 pm Very nice reporting, Ian! Your sky sounded magnificent!

Up late here as well due to tornado warning. Dull grey and socked in right now. Unfortunately, in this case, the evenings are all like this. :lol:
All the best Bryan, I hope you can avoid those Tornadoes. We only get them up here mid July to mid August.

Ian
Ian

Fracs: Stellarvue 70T f6; SW 120mm Esprit f7; "Mark Mk. II" - 60 mm Tasco f6; C80 frac f 11.4
Cameras and lenses - ZWO 2600 mc, 290 mm mini, Canon 60D modded with Rokinon 10mm 2.8; Rokinon 135mm f2

Skysafari 6 Pro, Astro Pixel Processor, Pixinsight - using Mac tablet and ASIair pro to run the AP rig.

Don Quixote

Post by Don Quixote »

This is a great report Ian. I enjoyed reading.
Agree about Spica and Arcturis being the convenient alignment stars.
Pajamas? I love it !
Bigzmey Online United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

What a great report Ian! I bet you thanked yourself on bringing the binos with you. :) I never leave home without a pair, cause you never know. Watching the owl family must been very special to. I see them hunting from home and at the desert, but never saw a chick.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Delos, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3122 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2196, S110: 77). Doubles: 2461, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 261
Kanadalainen

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Kanadalainen »

Bigzmey wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 10:13 pm What a great report Ian! I bet you thanked yourself on bringing the binos with you. :) I never leave home without a pair, cause you never know. Watching the owl family must been very special to. I see them hunting from home and at the desert, but never saw a chick.
Thanks Andrey,

The sky was blow-me-away-transparent. The binos were great.

The adult female owl has been near the cottage since late March, and now she has her brood. My kids took images, I will get them.

Ian
Ian

Kanadalainen

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Kanadalainen »

Here is an image of one of the chicks (Roberta is the name my kids gave this one, Rudy - the other sibling - is sleeping somewhere else in the tree).

Thanks to my daughter for the image.

Attachments
IMG_1544.jpeg
Ian

Bigzmey Online United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Awww, so cute!
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Delos, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3122 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2196, S110: 77). Doubles: 2461, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 261
Kanadalainen

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Kanadalainen »

Actually I spotted Rudy down and to the right! They are so incredibly cute. :)
Ian

John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Baars »

Good observations. Great story, I like the "owl-bit" :D
Thanks!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.