Observing and Photographing Comet Pons-Brookes(12P)

Let's see your reports!
OzEclipse Online Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Observing and Photographing Comet Pons-Brookes(12P)

Post by OzEclipse »

We have had a large frontal system being held over us by a blocking high pressure system. It was finally clear on Wednesday night and I finally got my second chance with this elusive comet! It's high orbital inclination of 75o sees it travelling along the twilight glow rather than climbing out of it. I took a picture and observed it about a week ago when I was in Canberra but I have been sick with a chest infection and so I've kept my astro activities modest while recuperating.

I set up my Starlapse on the fence with the neighbouring farmer's 100 acre grazing paddock in daylight at about 530pm local time. The paddock wraps around my property and I positioned as far north as possible to the corner to allow a view of the comet through a gap in trees on the horizon. To move any further would have necessitated climbing over the barbed wire fence.

Astronomical twilight was at 6:50pm local time. The comet first became visible in binoculars at 6:20pm local with the sun at -12o at the end of nautical twilight. I realised I had partly fluffed it. I hadn't allowed enough and it wasn't gong to align with the gap in the trees and would drift into the trees. I only had minutes before it was going to vanish into the trees on the horizon.

As it got darker, it drifted to the dead tree just left of centre of frame before the end of astronomical twilight. The fence is barbed wire so rather than climb it, I should have driven my gear to another spot that has an ideal western horizon.

wide-angle.jpg

The photo below was taken at 6:28pm local 22 mins before the end of astronomical twilight with the Sun at -14o.

Dust tail to the right, ion tail extending upwards.

Exposure: 9x10s @ ISO400 at 20240501.77 UT with a 300mm f4 EDIF lens tracked with a Losmandy Starlapse tracker.

PONS-BROOKES-CALI-20240501-3.jpg

Visual observations
SV BONY 10x42 ED binoculars & Orion 9x63mm. Due to pupil dilation limits, the view through both binoculars was nearly identical. I estimate that due to ambient light levels, my pupils were only dilated to about 5mm or even less. The 10x42mm binoculars afforded light from the full 42mm aperture while the 9x63mm binoculars only transmitted light from 9x5mm=45mm aperture. Hence the views were nearly identical.

The comet became visible in binoculars 6:20pm, I realised I really needed to go up the road but it was too late to relocate. I started the camera intervalometer running 10s sequential exposures.

Once running I concentrated on visual observations. Using the in-out method, I estimated the nucleus and coma were around magnitude 5±0.3

brightness estimate.jpg

It was obviously fainter than the Mv 3.90 reference star and similar to but slightly brighter than the two 5.31. 5.34 and 5.37 mag stars. The twilight background made the estimate process difficult as I don't do these estimates very often and a out of practice. Just before the comet moved behind the dead tree, I could see perhaps a half degree of tail. I followed the comet as it passed through the branches as it got darker. I thought the tail perhaps extended a little farther that a half degree through the branches but this may just be "averted imagination." I suspect had I been able to observe the comet for the remaining 30 minutes before setting, I may have caught a little more tail as my pupils dilated further and I could have used more of the aperture of my 9x63 binoculars.

All my gear is now packed in the car. If I get another clear night, I’ll head to one of two spots, the first 1km up the road with a low horizon and another high ridge 5km up the road to a spot I know where I have a clear zero west horizon.

Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)
Bigzmey Online United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Observing and Photographing Comet Pons-Brookes(12P)

Post by Bigzmey »

Nice report and photos Joe!
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Delos, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3122 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2196, S110: 77). Doubles: 2461, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 261
StarHugger Online United States of America
Articles: 0

Post by StarHugger »

Very nice Joe, thanks for sharing !
Aaron / thestarhugger@gmail.com / Solar Kitchen Observatory / USA...

Small Bore Multiple Wavelength Experimental Solar Imaging, Filtering, SEAA & Visual Observation
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 598

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Great report Joe with nice bino observations and photos of the comet.

Good job with determining the magnitude of Pons Brookes, not all of us would have thought of using that method.

Comgratulations on earning the VROD for the Day!
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Baars »

Congratulations on the VROD!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
OzEclipse Online Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

helicon wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 1:11 pm Great report Joe with nice bino observations and photos of the comet.

Good job with determining the magnitude of Pons Brookes, not all of us would have thought of using that method.

Comgratulations on earning the VROD for the Day!
Thank you so much for that Michael. I don’t do a lot of visual brightness estimates and the reference magnitudes are out of Starry Night, not a carefully curated AAVSO chart so I put a big uncertainty on the estimate. The in out method is the easiest to use, at least that’s my experience.
Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)
messier 111 Canada
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

fine shot and report , congrat on the vrod Joe .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada: