Every month a new challenge!
TerryMcK Great Britain
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

Re: Astrophotography Processing Challenge April 2024

Post by TerryMcK »

When I get sometime over this weekend I’ll download and have a play
Terry - Gatto Ambra Observatory
Scopes: WO: RedCat 51, ZS 73, ZS103, SW: 200P Solar: Altair Herschel wedge, Daystar Scout 60SSDS Mounts: SW: HEQ5Pro Rowan & EQM35Pro. Guiders: All using ZWO ASI120MM minis. Cameras: ZWO: ASI294MM-Pro, ASI 183MC-Pro, ASI 183MM Pro, ASI 174MM Filters: IDAS, Altair, Baader, Antlia, ZWO. Observatory: The Jousting Tent - ROR. Acquisition: NINA on Windows 11 - EKOS/INDI/Kstars on Raspberry PI4 (retired for now) Image Processing: PixInsight, APP, Photoshop 24.1.0 Location: West Manchester Light Pollution: Mucho Bortle 7/8
KingClinton
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KingClinton »

Last month I managed to download a single image and it went into my old copy of startools and PS. I kinda got something to show up but nowhere near your guys efforts!

Now this month is a head scratcher if you are a newbie to this. I downloaded the tif file and it unzipped to 6 images?
What am I supposed to do with them now? I have hit a brick wall.
Any suggestions?
Eyeballs, binoculars, sketch box, Scopes n stuff.
Some people don't understand why I love astronomy so much, I cannot understand why they do not!

TerryMcK Great Britain
Earth Ambassador

Post by TerryMcK »

Here is mine.
Processed entirely in PixInsight
  • All data run through gradient correction
    BlurXTerminator
    NoiseXTerminator
    HistogramTransformation on all 6 data
  • RGB Data combined
    Extracted stars
    Run imagesolver
    SpecPhotoColCal with Chroma RGB filters chosen in calibration for correcting colours of stars as per GAIA3
  • S2 Extract stars
    Ha Extract stars
    O3 Extract stars
  • LRGB Combined as Ha SHO
    Bill Blanshan and Mike Cranfield NarrowBand Normalization run as SHO for ColorCalibration process
    Convert to RGB Working Space
    Run Curves with some saturation, RGB/K low and mids. Boost high slightly
    Local histogram transform 25 kernel radius
    Local histogram transform 75 kernel radius
    Run ImproveBrilliance script from Juergen Terpe Toolbox
    Set colorprofile to sRGB IEC61966-2.1
Add the RGB stars to the HaSHO image with this PixelMath formula combine($T,RGB_stars,op_screen())
  • Run Astro_Swell star_de-emphasizer script
    Add labels
    Export as PNG
Fish_Head_HaSHO_RGBStars.png
Scopes: WO: RedCat 51, ZS 73, ZS103, SW: 200P Solar: Altair Herschel wedge, Daystar Scout 60SSDS Mounts: SW: HEQ5Pro Rowan & EQM35Pro. Guiders: All using ZWO ASI120MM minis. Cameras: ZWO: ASI294MM-Pro, ASI 183MC-Pro, ASI 183MM Pro, ASI 174MM Filters: IDAS, Altair, Baader, Antlia, ZWO. Observatory: The Jousting Tent - ROR. Acquisition: NINA on Windows 11 - EKOS/INDI/Kstars on Raspberry PI4 (retired for now) Image Processing: PixInsight, APP, Photoshop 24.1.0 Location: West Manchester Light Pollution: Mucho Bortle 7/8
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

TerryMcK wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:11 pm Here is mine.

That's excellent Terry! Really well controlled dynamic range and really good colours.

Could you explain your PixelMath formula and have you got a link for the Juergen Terpe Toolbox please?

Kind of makes me want to have another go!

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

KingClinton wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:03 pm Last month I managed to download a single image and it went into my old copy of startools and PS. I kinda got something to show up but nowhere near your guys efforts!

Now this month is a head scratcher if you are a newbie to this. I downloaded the tif file and it unzipped to 6 images?
Any suggestions?

The six files are narrow band filtered images of Red, Green, Blue, Sulfur ii, Oxygen iii and Hydrogen α. The captured frames have already been stacked but are unstretched, or linear. I don't know much about Startools. Perhaps a Startools user can advise here. PS6 combines by opening each file (RGB) each on a different layer. Or at least that's how I used to do it in Gimp! Here's a good explanation:

The RGB or the SHO files can be used as a three filter set to produce an image if you don't have a lot of experience (like me!) or you can use the SHO files to produce a starless image and the RGB files for the stars as Terry has done above.

I hope the video helps and I look forward to seeing your work.

Have fun!

Graeme

TerryMcK Great Britain
Earth Ambassador

Post by TerryMcK »

Graeme1858 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:13 am
TerryMcK wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:11 pm Here is mine.

That's excellent Terry! Really well controlled dynamic range and really good colours.

Could you explain your PixelMath formula and have you got a link for the Juergen Terpe Toolbox please?

Kind of makes me want to have another go!

Graeme
Thanks Graeme. I used to just use a formula containing %T+stars under the RGB/K tab with create new image in the destination. To use it make sure you change the name of the image containing just stars to .... stars. Then drag the triangle onto the starless image. It will create a new image.

Now I use the formula below that I got from a post on the PixInsight Forum from Russell Croman https://pixinsight.com/forum/index.php? ... ges.18602/
In it he mentions this is the same as recombining the unscreened stars image and starless image in Photoshop using "screen" blending option. The PI people introduced the op_screen parameter in PixelMath and the formula becomes combine(starless, stars, op_screen())

So the formula is this:
AddStars.png
again drag and drop onto the starless image and it will create a new one containing the stars and the starless. It gives slightly different results to my original and is more pleasing to the eye.

Juergens repo is at https://www.ideviceapps.de/PixInsight/Utilities/
There are lots of excellent utilities in it and it appears in PixInsight under Script>Toolbox

One thing I forgot to mention in my processing workflow was I noticed that there is a very bright region in the Fish Head that looks blown out. It isn't and detail can be teased out of it by using the HDRMT process set as this.
hdrmt.png
I normally use the HDRMT process to run over galaxy cores but felt this image needed it too. In the case of the Fish Head I run it just before the "Bill Blanshan and Mike Cranfield NarrowBand Normalization run as SHO for ColorCalibration" process.

The picture looks great as a full size image but it is much too big to upload as the png is about 170MB in size. I had to really cut down the saved file size to upload to the forum but it is always the case with our forums to manage storage space. Of course the smaller size looses a lot of detail but is more than good enough for showing in a web browsers.
Last edited by TerryMcK on Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

Thanks for the extra info Terry. I'm going to go and have a play with the Juergen Script.

The Forum has a 5Mb limit so clicking on an image displays it in more detail. But the best way for high quality images is to right click and open in a new tab, then hit F11.

Graeme

KingClinton
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KingClinton »

Graeme1858 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:32 am
KingClinton wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:03 pm Last month I managed to download a single image and it went into my old copy of startools and PS. I kinda got something to show up but nowhere near your guys efforts!

Any suggestions?

The six files are narrow band filtered images of Red, Green, Blue, Sulfur ii, Oxygen iii and Hydrogen α. The captured frames have already been stacked but are unstretched, or linear. I don't know much about Startools. Perhaps a Startools user can advise here. PS6 combines by opening each file (RGB) each on a different layer. Or at least that's how I used to do it in Gimp! Here's a good explanation:

The RGB or the SHO files can be used as a three filter set to produce an image if you don't have a lot of experience (like me!) or you can use the SHO files to produce a starless image and the RGB files for the stars as Terry has done above.

I hope the video helps and I look forward to seeing your work.

Have fun!

Graeme

Thanks Graeme.
I appreciate your feedback. Sounds and looks rather complicated for a visual brain like mine.
Think I might sit this one out. I will stick to trying the single images when we get them.
Eyeballs, binoculars, sketch box, Scopes n stuff.
Some people don't understand why I love astronomy so much, I cannot understand why they do not!

Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

Would anyone like to contribute some OSC data for a future AP Processing Challenge?

Graeme

carastro Great Britain
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by carastro »

KingClinton wrote: ↑Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:03 pm
Last month I managed to download a single image and it went into my old copy of startools and PS. I kinda got something to show up but nowhere near your guys efforts!

Any suggestions?

I am a photoshop user, but can't say I have ever done this combination myself. I am just about to attempt a process. I would imagine I will try different combinations.

Firstly there is no Luminance. So I would suggest the following.

SHO and simply use the RGB for the stars added in afterwards.

I see some-one else has beaten me to it.
Mount: HEQ5 + Polemaster
Guiding: SW Finderguider and QHY5
Scopes: Skywatcher ED80, Skywatcher ED120, William Optics ZS71, Samyang 135MM F2 lens,
Cameras: Atik460EX, Atik428EX, Canon 1100D
Filters: Baader

https://sites.google.com/view/astrophot ... -pope/home
carastro Great Britain
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by carastro »

Crikey
Whacking Great files. Took ages to download and ages to do SX on them. In fact still doing it.......... be back some time this month with the result Lol.
Last edited by carastro on Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scopes: Skywatcher ED80, Skywatcher ED120, William Optics ZS71, Samyang 135MM F2 lens,

carastro Great Britain
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by carastro »

Had to reduce this to about a quarter of the original size otherwise could not upload it to Astrobin in order to post here.
Processed entirely in Photoshop.

I have processed this in just SHO (Hubble Palette) as the stars are so small I doubt RGB stars will add anything, but would have taken a lot more time to process.

Mostly levels and curves, I used StarExterminator which I have only just acquired as my old PC wasn't capable of running it. Some High Pass filter and selective colour.

Link to larger size on Astrobin (in my staging area)
https://www.astrobin.com/full/9vp5rd/0/

ZOJgH-NZ0--x_2560x0_esdlMP5Y.png

Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

That's a lovely rendition Carole. Good colours and clarity.

Graeme

starfield United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

AP Processing Challenge

Post by starfield »

carastro wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:11 pm Had to reduce this to about a quarter of the original size otherwise could not upload it to Astrobin in order to post here.
Processed entirely in Photoshop.

I have processed this in just SHO (Hubble Palette) as the stars are so small I doubt RGB stars will add anything, but would have taken a lot more time to process.

Mostly levels and curves, I used StarExterminator which I have only just acquired as my old PC wasn't capable of running it. Some High Pass filter and selective colour.

Link to larger size on Astrobin (in my staging area)
https://www.astrobin.com/full/9vp5rd/0/

ZOJgH-NZ0--x_2560x0_esdlMP5Y.png
I like the way you processed the core here. Really clean.
Scopes: Esprit 100, 12.5" Telekit Dob
Camera: 294 MC Pro, 224 mc, 2600mm
Guiding: ZWO 290 mini on 120mm guide scope
Mounts: EQ6R-Pro, EQ Platform.
Filters: Optolong L-Pro & L-Enhance, Chroma 36mm LRGB, 5nm HA, 3nm OIII, 3nm SII.
Software: SharpCap, SGP, StarTools 1.7, Photoshop, Pixinsight
The Death Star Observatory
Astro Photos:https://www.astrobin.com/users/starfield/
AstroBee United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

Another couple of great versions from Terry and Carole. It really is wild how varied the processing can be. Proof there is no one "right" way to do it as they all have something to like in them.
@carastro For some reason, your image is showing up sort of stretched width-wise, like the aspect ratio got tweaked a bit. Is it happening just on my screen or does anybody else notice this?
Greg M.~ "Ad Astra per Aspera"
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Mounts: Astro-Physics Mach One, iOptron CEM70EC Mount, iOptron ZEQ25 Mount.
Cameras: ZWO ASI2600mm Pro, ZWO 2600MC Pro, ZWO ASI1600mm
Filters: 36mm Chroma LRGB & 3nm Ha, OIII, SII, L-Pro, L-eXtreme
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
Software: N.I.N.A., SharpCapPro, PixInsight, PhotoShop CC, Phd2, Stellarium
https://www.nevadadesertskies.com
carastro Great Britain
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by carastro »

@carastro For some reason, your image is showing up sort of stretched width-wise, like the aspect ratio got tweaked a bit. Is it happening just on my screen or does anybody else notice this?
Yes it is stretched on my screen too but if you click on my Astrobin link it will show it properly. I wonder why that has happened, I simply linked to Astrobin using the insert image icon?

Carole

TerryMcK Great Britain
Earth Ambassador

Post by TerryMcK »

I've decided to enter another one if that is ok? This time processed with the ForaxxPalletteUtility script in PixInsight. Exactly the same process as before but using FPU to combine the mono SHO images into RGB colour.
A little additional curves and local histogram enhance before adding the RGB stars.
FishHead_Foraxx.jpg
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

TerryMcK wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:02 am I've decided to enter another one if that is ok?

Of course it's ok Terry! You can post as many goes as you like. Glad you're enjoying it.

I like this one. It's darker and moodier than your last post. I like how you have brought out the reds.

Is FPU already in PI or is that a download?

Graeme

TerryMcK Great Britain
Earth Ambassador

Post by TerryMcK »

Add https://foraxxpaletteutility.com/FPU/ to the PixInsight repository Graeme.
It is very easy to use and some data works better than others.
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

Thanks for that Terry. I'll have a play later. Got to go to the barbers now!

Graeme