Observe Planets on a sunny day with a Telescope?

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
Flyhigh7 United States of America
Mars Ambassador
Articles: 0

Observe Planets on a sunny day with a Telescope?

Post by Flyhigh7 »

I have a 9.25" Celestron Telescope and I'm wondering if it is possible to see the planets on a clear bright sunny day if the planets are not close to the sun at all. I understand the dangers of pointing a telescope at the sun without a good sun filter. Just wondering if this is possible or if the sun light will totally wash out the planets as I suspect.
'The only way to make it is to try!'

Telescope: Celestron Evolution 9.25 with Celestron Motor Focus
Evolution WiFi Mount Head/ built in 10 Hr Battery and CPC Tripod
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster Giant 15x70 / Heavy Duty Tripod
Simmons 10x50
Camera: Canon Digital Rebel XT EOS 350D
Diagonal: Baader 2" BBHS Sitall Mirror
EPs: Baader Hyperion Aspheric 36mm 1.25"/2", Pentax XW 20mm, Pentax XW 7mm,
Tele Vue Delite 11mm, Plossl 40mm & 13mm
Barlow Lens: Tele Vue 2.5x - 1.25" Powermate
Filters: Baader Planetarium Neodymium Moon & Skyglow Filter
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Observe Planets on a sunny day with a Telescope?

Post by Thefatkitty »

Interesting question! As far as I know, Venus is really your only possibility in the day. Of course, Venus being covered with clouds doesn't help.

I took a shot of the Moon and Venus with my DSLR and widefield 60mm in the daytime back on Jan 31st of 2019. It was a bit before 1PM. I did take a look through my 80mm f/11, but it was just a white dot.

MoonVenus.png

Hope this helps and all the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

You can easily see a magnitude 2 star with a 4"- 6" telescope during the day. I've seen that myself but never tested the limit.

So Venus, Jupiter, Mars, Saturn, Mercury can all be observed during the day. As you say, take care with the inner planets especially now that Mercury is only at 5o elongation. Observed means discern a brightish disc against the background sky. You won't see much detail because the darker areas that contrast the bright to provide this detail will be washed out by the blue sky.

Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Daytime astronomy is fun. The tricky part is to get alignment. It helps a lot when the Moon is out during the day. As Joes says you can see the five planets and brightest stars, but not much details.

Twilight on the other hand is great time to resolve planetary details. My best ever views of Jupiter and Venus were an hour or so before sunset.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Infinity and Beyond Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

I have been advocating trying this for many years.
Take a look at the lunar surface as well :)
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
jrkirkham United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by jrkirkham »

Yes, I have an 11" Celestron and have observed the brighter planets and moon during the day. You do have to be careful not to catch the sun. I keep my main tube and finder scope covered while slewing. You also have to be comfortable with your system's tracking. If your mount doesn't get you close you can have a rough time hunting. When I first started looking for daytime planets I locked on to my targets before daw and let the scope continue to track as morning came.

One of the projects I just started focuses on the moon. Some features will need to be seen during the day.
Rob
Telescopes: 50mm refractor, ED80 triplet, 90mm makcass, 10" dob, 8"SCT, 11"SCT
Mounts: Celestron CGX, Orion Sirius + several camera tripods
Cameras: Canon 6D, Canon 80D, ZWO-ASI120MC
Binoculars: 10x50, 12x60, 15x70, 25-125x80
Observatory: SkyShed POD XL3 + 8x12 warm room
AL Projects Completed: Lunar #645, Outreach #0280, Universe Sampler #93-T, Binocular Messier #871, Messier #2521, Messier Honorary #2521, Constellation Hunter Northern Skies #112, Planetary Transit Venus #1, Galileo #26, Outreach Stellar 0280, Meteor Regular #157, Solar System Telescopic #209-I, Observer Award #1
AL Projects Currently in Process: Double Stars, Comet, Lunar Evolution
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Baars »

Planets like Jupiter and Saturn look bleached, but it can be done. Venus is still rather bright. Very much fun, btw.
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
Richard South Africa
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Richard »

Yes as others mentioned its possible I observed Venus with a tracking scope from fairly dark 5.30 am up to 10am but after that was not good , was a 5 inch SCT
Reflectors GSO 200 Dobs
Refractors None
SCT C5 on a SLT mount
Mak 150 Bosma on a EQ5
DeanD Australia
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by DeanD »

Aargh! I just wrote a reply and it disappeared!! Try again:

I have observed all 5 brightest planets during the daytime with a TV76, Tak 102, and 8" SCT. It takes a bit of practice because of all that blue stuff up there, even when they are in the centre of the FOV- although Jupiter and Venus are pretty easy. I have seen the main cloud bands of Jupiter in the middle of the day, and stars down to Mag 3 in the SCT, or 2 in the refactors. Saturn is the trickiest because it is fainter and spread out, unlike the near point sources of Mars and Mercury- although I can usually see the rings once I spot it.

If you want to chase stars in the daytime, start off with really bright ones like Sirius or Rigel to get used to training your eyes. It can be fun trying to split bright doubles, like Alpha Centauri for us southerners. In fact the first time I saw the "pup" next to Sirius was in twilight: easier because Sirius itself wasn't so glare-y (is that a word?).

The fainter planets are easier from clear, dust-free skies like in outback South Australia. A lot harder near polluted cities.

I generally use my old iOptron Mini Tower Pro, and I set it up by lining up on the Moon (when visible), or more usually the Sun. For the Sun I cover the objective and minimise the shadow initially, then use a Baader solar filter to centre it. The software always tells me off when I do this, but I ignore it. ;)
Traps for young players: always cover the objective of your finder as well!!!

I have also spotted Venus, Jupiter, and even Mars (near opposition) and Mercury naked eye in the daytime. This is easiest when they are favourably located near the Moon, and it helps if you stand in the shade of a building and use polarised sunglasses (mine are prescription). Again, all that blue stuff up there makes it difficult, but that is part of the fun. (Tip: once you have found the planet, don't look away or it will take ages to find it again! Alternatively, line up the planet wrt a foreground object like a post or a tree to make it easier to spot, and use binos to make sure you are looking in the right area).

Once I had a class of Grade 1 children (6-7yo) looking (naked eye) at the Moon in the daytime, when they started asking about the star they could see near the Moon (ie: Venus)... Their teacher was upset, because she couldn't see it!

Have fun!

Dean
Telescopes: 12" f5 dob, Celestron CPC800, 150mmf5 Celestron achro, Tak TSA102, TV76, ETX125...
Binos: Steiner Wildlife XP 10x26, Swarovski 8x30 Habicht, Zeiss SFL 8x40, Vanguard Endeavour 10.5x45, Fuji FMTR-SX 10x50, Tak 22x60, Orion Resolux 15x70
Eyepieces: way too many (is that possible?), but I do like my TV 32mm plossl, 13mm Nagler T6, 27mm Panoptic and 3-6mm Nagler zoom, plus Fujiyama 18mm and 25mm orthos and Tak 7.5mm LE
Mars Ambassador

Post by Flyhigh7 »

Thanks for all the excellent replies. I ask because deep space Galaxies and globulars being my primary mission are out of the question until I can try to see them when they are at my zenith due to my light pollution. So for now I'm going to settle for planet work and as you all know they are only up in the day now except Jupiter and Uranus which set to close to sunset for me to view with my bad westward horizon view (trees). I know I can catch Saturn, Mars, Neptune and Mercury in the hour before sunset in early May but that won't work because my eastward horizon is blocked up to about 25 degrees as well. So for the time being I'm going to have to settle for those planets during the day when they get higher in the sky.

As far as trying to align during the day. I won't try that as I'll see if I can find them based on where Stellarium shows them for that day and time.

I may check out the moon tonight if the sky stays clear as i have not really checked it out at high mag with this 9.25 scope yet.

Thanks again for the good news. :)

Simmons 10x50
Mars Ambassador

Post by Flyhigh7 »

The moon looked great in all my EPs all the way up to 336x (7mm EP) but at 336x the wind was too much to study detail so I didn't bother to try out the 2.5X Barlow and take the magnification any higher. I did try a few filters and that's when the clouds came in and told me to put the telescope away. Moon looked great at 214x showing the big depth of several craters at the terminator.

This was my first viewing with this scope in the daytime and it was a lot of fun to change EPs and add filters when you can see exactly what you're doing.

Simmons 10x50
jrkirkham United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by jrkirkham »

Flyhigh7 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:27 am The moon looked great in all my EPs all the way up to 336x (7mm EP) but at 336x the wind was too much to study detail so I didn't bother to try out the 2.5X Barlow and take the magnification any higher. I did try a few filters and that's when the clouds came in and told me to put the telescope away. Moon looked great at 214x showing the big depth of several craters at the terminator.

This was my first viewing with this scope in the daytime and it was a lot of fun to change EPs and add filters when you can see exactly what you're doing.
I always like experimenting and trying new things.
Rob
Telescopes: 50mm refractor, ED80 triplet, 90mm makcass, 10" dob, 8"SCT, 11"SCT
Mounts: Celestron CGX, Orion Sirius + several camera tripods
Cameras: Canon 6D, Canon 80D, ZWO-ASI120MC
Binoculars: 10x50, 12x60, 15x70, 25-125x80
Observatory: SkyShed POD XL3 + 8x12 warm room
AL Projects Completed: Lunar #645, Outreach #0280, Universe Sampler #93-T, Binocular Messier #871, Messier #2521, Messier Honorary #2521, Constellation Hunter Northern Skies #112, Planetary Transit Venus #1, Galileo #26, Outreach Stellar 0280, Meteor Regular #157, Solar System Telescopic #209-I, Observer Award #1
AL Projects Currently in Process: Double Stars, Comet, Lunar Evolution
Baurice
Vendor
Vendor

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Baurice »

I can detect the phases of Venus quite clearly in 15x70 binoculars during daylight, Lunar details are almost as clear during the day as at night. but photographing them is difficult but not impossible.