April 8th Eclipse from Monnett Ohio

Post your Solar/Lunar eclipse photos here.
Mike Q United States of America
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

April 8th Eclipse from Monnett Ohio

Post by Mike Q »

Well you couldn't ask for a better day to watch the eclipse. We had some high thin clouds but that didn't seem to affect us any. Here are a few of the pictures we took.
Attachments
IMG_20240408_185442.jpg
IMG_20240408_172510.jpg
IMG_20240408_172556.jpg
Orion Skyline 10 Inch
Orion XX16G
Stellina
AT102EDL
StarHugger United States of America

Re: April 8th Eclipse from Monnett Ohio

Post by StarHugger »

Awesome !
Aaron / thestarhugger@gmail.com / Solar Kitchen Observatory / USA...

Small Bore Multiple Wavelength Experimental Solar Imaging, Filtering, SEAA & Visual Observation
Richard South Africa

Post by Richard »

Nice hope you enjoyed it
Reflectors GSO 200 Dobs
Refractors None
SCT C5 on a SLT mount
Mak 150 Bosma on a EQ5

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Mike Q »

Richard wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:31 pm Nice hope you enjoyed it
We all enjoyed it I think. While totality was neat i was more interested in watching how the animals reacted to the situation. The birds were definitely confused. As totality settled in the bull frogs started doing their thing. The most entertaining part was Alvin....our resident chipmunk. He dove for his hole as day became twilight. Four minutes later as the sun returned he popped back up out of his hole and was like wait a minute.

Unlike a lot of people it seems, an eclipse doesnt really do all that much for me. If i can see it I will look at it, but if not i dont really think i am missing anything. Since this one was literally running me over i might as well take the day and check it out.
Orion Skyline 10 Inch
Orion XX16G
Stellina
AT102EDL
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Glad you have managed to see it Mike!
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Delos, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3122 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2196, S110: 77). Doubles: 2461, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 261

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Mike Q »

Bigzmey wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:50 pm Glad you have managed to see it Mike!
It was a good show even with our high thin clouds. Honestly clouds that thin are rare in Ohio this time of year. So I will be the first to admit we got lucky.

I also have to give prompts to the local NBC weather forecasters in Columbus who nailed the forecast a week out. I can also say that Pivotal Weather's Canadian Ensemble was pretty much spot on.
Orion Skyline 10 Inch
Orion XX16G
Stellina
AT102EDL
John Baars Online Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Baars »

:lol: I understand you had all the luck in the world. A rare eclipse, good weather and the opportunity to observe animal behavior during the event. Even the weather forecasters had it right. And that on a very narrow strip of Mother Earth, on which less than one per mil of Earth's inhabitants could witness it. Just in your own yard.

And still a pretty cool report....... and some great pics.
Perhaps you should take a chance in Las Vegas sometime :D
Anyway, your report gave me a big smile..thanks.. :happy-sunshine:
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Mike Q »

John Baars wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:31 am :lol: I understand you had all the luck in the world. A rare eclipse, good weather and the opportunity to observe animal behavior during the event. Even the weather forecasters had it right. And that on a very narrow strip of Mother Earth, on which less than one per mil of Earth's inhabitants could witness it. Just in your own yard.

And still a pretty cool report....... and some great pics.
Perhaps you should take a chance in Las Vegas sometime :D
Anyway, your report gave me a big smile..thanks.. :happy-sunshine:

Yeah we got very lucky. April is a cloudy month in Ohio, and i mean the thick rain filled kind of clouds too, which we had the day before and will have for the rest of this week at least. April showers and all that stuff.
Orion Skyline 10 Inch
Orion XX16G
Stellina
AT102EDL