Total eclipse report.

Discuss past and upcoming Solar/Lunar Eclipses
AstroBee United States of America
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Total eclipse report.

Post by AstroBee »

Fantastic time on Petit Jean Mountain in Arkansas. We had rain the day before and the night after the eclipse but sunshine and darkness at eclipse time! A little bit of high cirrus clouds but nothing that affected the views. Just absolutely amazing.
I'm sitting in the passenger seat of my car as I type this, headed back to Las Vegas. We left Arkansas at 4am CDT and are going to do the full 21hr drive back non stop except for gas, food and bathrooms. Don't worry, rotating drivers every stop and getting plenty of naps along the way. We should get home around midnight PDT.
We had so much going on including a livestream from Dr. Clay Sherrod's observatory.
Here's a link if you want to watch the replay, just jump to the good stuff, the countdown clock helps!
https://www.youtube.com/live/9eFqfQzWdj ... Xz_NEztI4q

Telescopes in two observatories plus I had two scopes and mounts running, a 180° video camera rolling during Totality and a DSLR with a 14mm wide angle shooting a timelapse.
Amazingly, everything seemed to work with only one minor hiccup. My iOptron CEM70EC with my 152mm 1220mmfl rig worked absolutely flawless and fully automated during the entire eclipse, capturing 50 frame SER files took about 13 seconds with a 1 second pause between recordings in SharpCapPro, I basically have the entire eclipse on extremely high res video. Double checking polar alignment on Friday and Saturday night confirmed alignment and remembering to switch to solar tracking mode instead of siderial mode meant the image was virtually rock solid with almost zero drift.
My "wide-angle" rig was a Canon 5D with a Canon 600mm F4 lens automated by Eclipse Orchestrator. E.O. ran flawlessly but at some point the mount must have been bumped because my image was drifting really bad. Fortunately it was caught early on and I just had to keep re-entering it every 5 minutes or so. I set a special alarm for one minute prior to totality to move it so it would drift through the center of the frame at mid totality.
I glanced only very briefly at the 14mm timelapse images and think I'll be able to edit a cool sequence from that data.
The 180° cam hasn't even been previewed so I am hoping it turned out as well as the clip from 2017's eclipse.
Overall it was a spectacular event for us, almost eclipsed by the southern hospitality shown by Dr Clay and his wife, Patsy.
Greg M.~ "Ad Astra per Aspera"
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Mounts: Astro-Physics Mach One, iOptron CEM70EC Mount, iOptron ZEQ25 Mount.
Cameras: ZWO ASI2600mm Pro, ZWO 2600MC Pro, ZWO ASI1600mm
Filters: 36mm Chroma LRGB & 3nm Ha, OIII, SII, L-Pro, L-eXtreme
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
Software: N.I.N.A., SharpCapPro, PixInsight, PhotoShop CC, Phd2, Stellarium
https://www.nevadadesertskies.com
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Total eclipse report.

Post by Bigzmey »

Sounds like a fantastic event, drive safely!
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Delos, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3122 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2196, S110: 77). Doubles: 2461, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 261
Graeme1858 Online Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

Sounds like you had a great day and filled many hard drives!

I look forward to seeing what you do with the data.

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
StarHugger Online United States of America

Post by StarHugger »

Awesome I look forward to the imagry indeed, we wound up at a small rest area in southern Illinois wich just happened to be direct center in the shadow, just wowed my daughter and the whole crowd who parked it in almost fully.
Aaron / thestarhugger@gmail.com / Solar Kitchen Observatory / USA...

Small Bore Multiple Wavelength Experimental Solar Imaging, Filtering, SEAA & Visual Observation
helicon Online United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 598

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Be careful driving. Highway 10 I imagine will be quite busy, if you are taking the southern route west.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
AstroBee United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

Thanks everyone. Michael, we took I-40, and other than rain for about the first 8 hours of our journey, we had no issues at all. Traffic was normal.
Greg M.~ "Ad Astra per Aspera"
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Mounts: Astro-Physics Mach One, iOptron CEM70EC Mount, iOptron ZEQ25 Mount.
Cameras: ZWO ASI2600mm Pro, ZWO 2600MC Pro, ZWO ASI1600mm
Filters: 36mm Chroma LRGB & 3nm Ha, OIII, SII, L-Pro, L-eXtreme
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
Software: N.I.N.A., SharpCapPro, PixInsight, PhotoShop CC, Phd2, Stellarium
https://www.nevadadesertskies.com