KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Eclipse in Miramichi, NB

Post by KathyNS »

I just have one thing to say about the eclipse: WOW!!!!!!!!!!!

The ClearDarkSky charts were dead-on accurate. They predicted a sliver of high cloud over the viewing site up until lunch time, clearing off by 2:00 pm (totality was at 4:30 pm). That is exactly what happened and there was not a cloud in the sky as the eclipse started.

A 99% partial eclipse is nothing at all like a total eclipse. As the last sliver of the Sun's disk was disappearing, you could see the Moon's shadow approaching. The already spooky light got dark, and we could see Venus and Jupiter. It wasn't completely dark, because the sky was light in the distance in all directions, just not where we were. The surrounding sky was a weird mauve colour. The temperature started dropping about 15-20 minutes before totality. I had to grab my winter jacket from the car.

The corona was a bright ring around the Sun/Moon, with a fainter extended corona especially above and to the right, just as the physicists had predicted. There was a bright spark at about the 7 o'clock position on the disk which I am guessing was a prominence. Three minutes went by way too fast!

I took the advice of the experts and avoided fiddling with the technology. I am glad I spent almost the whole time just admiring it. For me, it was literally a once in a lifetime experience. Who knows if I'll be able to see the 2044 eclipse in Alberta? I did (almost) get a photo of totality. The camera wasn't on a tracker, and I didn't want to hassle with it during totality. I just clicked the shutter a couple of times and hoped for the best. This is better than I thought I'd get.

I am filing this under "reports" rather than under "photos" because this one is laughable. It's proof I was there, nothing more.
IMGP5865-edited.jpg
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Eclipse in Miramichi, NB

Post by OzEclipse »

Hi Kathy,

Congratulations. If it turns out to be a once in a lifetime experience, then you absolutely did the right thing soaking in the view.

Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KathyNS »

The temperature dropped a lot during the eclipse. I don't have a record from the Miramichi site, but my home weather station, with a 96.5% partial eclipse, was recording. The red graph is the temperature, in degrees Celsius. The drop is quite noticeable.
temperaature.png
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
Bigzmey Online United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Congrats Kathy! So glad you have witnessed it. Our today's trip to Dallas was aborted by clouds but we still have vivid memories from 2017.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Delos, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3122 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2196, S110: 77). Doubles: 2461, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 261
Thefatkitty Online Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Thefatkitty »

I'm glad you got to see that Kathy; you had the best weather for Canada! For all the hellish winters you folks get, this was your redemption!!

Good for you on that and all the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
🇨🇦Member of the RASC