The best telescope to use with a smartphone.

Discuss the latest astronomy news!
KingClinton
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

The best telescope to use with a smartphone.

Post by KingClinton »

As chosen by the experts at Astronomy magazine.

For the most part these fancy new smart scopes are very expensive and beyond my reach here in South Africa.
But there is a major swing from traditional sit down at the eyepiece to these new smart scopes, so good to keep a eye on them and where they are going.

https://www.google.com/url?rct=j&sa=t&u ... EGoa3RGkzf
Richard South Africa

Re: The best telescope to use with a smartphone.

Post by Richard »

Its the development of these "phone' they are not phones anymore , more like a hand held computer , but now its getting ridiculous , they are faster than most computers from a few years ago , I have an I phone 11 and was due an upgrade so for the same amount got a Samsung A54 that I will use for my Czech sim card , its a big phone but amazing and its a middle of the range , the S series that are the top God knows what it can do , will soon make all cameras obsolete
Reflectors GSO 200 Dobs
Refractors None
SCT C5 on a SLT mount
Mak 150 Bosma on a EQ5
AstroBee United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

Phone cameras have already made the traditional point & shoot cameras obsolete. In 2021, Ricoh made a GXR IIIx that listed for over $1000. That's the last one I can remember, maybe there were a few others.
Much the same way that mirrorless cameras will eventually kill the DSLR as the DSLR killed the SLR.

I don't see these smart scopes killing off the traditional scopes any time soon though.
Greg M.~ "Ad Astra per Aspera"
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Mounts: Astro-Physics Mach One, iOptron CEM70EC Mount, iOptron ZEQ25 Mount.
Cameras: ZWO ASI2600mm Pro, ZWO 2600MC Pro, ZWO ASI1600mm
Filters: 36mm Chroma LRGB & 3nm Ha, OIII, SII, L-Pro, L-eXtreme
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
Software: N.I.N.A., SharpCapPro, PixInsight, PhotoShop CC, Phd2, Stellarium
https://www.nevadadesertskies.com
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

Hi Clinton,

Smartphones are now doing computational photography.

Some will take 16 x 15s exposures and stack them to do quite respectable astro shots. But others use an AI system to recognise astronomical content, Moon or starry sky, and replace it with stock images.

There was a famous case where someone taped a piece of pita bread in the window and the phone mistook ot for a bad pic of the moon and replaced it with a stock image of the Moon.

Using a smartphone through a telescope, you are using the AFOCAL method.
Telescope => Eyepiece => Camera lens => Camera

The effective focal ratio EFR is
EFR = Focal Length Camera Lens ÷ Focal length Eyepiece x telescope f ratio.

The other important thing is to match the FOV of the camera lens to the apparent FOV of the eyepiece. If you have a wide angle lens and a plosl eyepiece, the photographed field will be a small circle surrounded by black.
Many smartphones typically have a single wide angle lens. Some have multiple lenses of different focal lengths.
In days gone by, I would use a 50mm camera lens, film camera, and a 25mm orthoscopic. My 6"f7 became a 6"f14. 50mm/25mm x f7 = f14. The orthoscopic had a 45 degree field and the camera with 50mm lens had a 36x48 degree. This resulted in minimal vignetting. If I put a wide angle lens on the camera, the field would reduce to a small circle.

So, the telescope is not so important, but the eyepiece is. If you are going to use a smartphone with a wide lens, you need a wide apparent field eyepiece. Alternatively, if you want to use a narrow field eyepiece, use a camera with more of a standard field lens.

Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)
Greenman Great Britain

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Greenman »

As a user of a Dwarf II for outreach work; I can't see smart scopes giving any reasonable amateur astrophotographer a run for thier money. But for the interested user these can be a low cost option into the hobby (can be - some are more expesive than a reaonable conventional setup). That article commits the sin of showing many alternatives without considering the interests of the user - bah humbug - advertisers all over!
Cheers,

Tony.

Smart Scope: Dwarf II - Club and outreach work.

AP Refractor: Altair 72EDF Deluxe F6;1x & 0.8 Flatteners; Antares Versascope 60mm finder. ASIAir Pro.Li battery pack for grab & go.

Celestron AVX Mount; X-cel LX eyepieces & Barlows 2x 3x, ZWO 2” Filter holder,

Cameras: main DSO ASI533MC; DSO guide ASI120MM; Planetary ASI224MC; DSLR Canon EOS100 stock.

Filters: Astronomik IR cut; Optolong L-Pro; Optolong L-Enhance.

Binoculars: Celestron 15 x 70.

Latitude: 52.219853
Longitude: -1.034471
Accuracy: 5 m
Bortle 4 site. https://maps.google.com/?q=52.21985,-1.03447