ISS Movie

Discuss non-Astronomy related subjects. NOTE: posts are removed automatically after 365 days.
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

ISS Movie

Post by KathyNS »

The premise of this film is that international relations between the US and Russia have deteriorated to the point of nuclear war. The US and Russian crews on the ISS are each ordered by their respective governments to take over the station at all costs.

My main criticism of this film is that they don't do anything interesting or original with the premise. I am not going to give any spoilers, because there is no need. If you have ever seen any Hollywood movie, you can already predict how this is going to go. Chances are that you can even predict (at least in a general way, since you don't yet know the characters) who survives.

If you are hoping for some awesome special effects, don't hold your breath. Sure there are detailed CGI views of the exterior of the ISS, I'll give them that. But the zero-G scenes (essentially the whole film) include many of the actors standing around in awkward poses trying to look zero-G-ish. Some of the scenes appear to be done with wires. They are tolerably well done,but that stuff has been around since 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Speaking of 2001, one whole sub-plot was plagiarized directly from it. It is a human being bad rather than a mad computer, but otherwise the exact same.

The sound track is bad. The little ISS rooms have poor acoustics and probably don't allow for proper microphone placement. As a result, much of the dialog is hard to hear. It doesn't help that almost the entire film is overlaid with an annoying dramatic "music" track that is far too loud and drowns out the mumbling actors.

My reaction at the end was that that was an hour and a half of my life that I would never get back.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
Bigzmey Online United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Re: ISS Movie

Post by Bigzmey »

When I saw the title I thought maybe you captured a cool movie of ISS transit. Ah well... :confusion-shrug:
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Delos, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3122 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2196, S110: 77). Doubles: 2461, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 261
StarHugger United States of America

Post by StarHugger »

Movie scenes were two people fight each other over the steering wheel of a speeding car or a runaway train come to mind here and of course hollywood is buried deep inside my head from childhood on so far as all the suggestive thoughts do profess to me...

Here we go again Kathy!
Aaron / thestarhugger@gmail.com / Solar Kitchen Observatory / USA...

Small Bore Multiple Wavelength Experimental Solar Imaging, Filtering, SEAA & Visual Observation
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

So you didn't rate it then? 😁

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 599

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Would they really start fighting given insane orders? The fact that the earth is a torched inferno visible from the windows of the ISS would give me pause, also the realization that both sides are going to die in space with no relief launches ever coming.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KathyNS »

helicon wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:35 pm Would they really start fighting given insane orders?
A symmetrical double mutiny would have been a much more interesting movie.

The fact that the earth is a torched inferno visible from the windows of the ISS would give me pause
The film delivers plenty of that. And the "special effects" for it are really hokey! The Earth looks like a Jackson Pollock painting. The first astronaut to see it says, "Keep everyone away from the windows!", presumably so that we, the audience, don't have to look at the bad artwork so much. The director makes sure that we do, though.

No, @Graeme1858, no stars for this one. I wouldn't even give it a 1-metre meteoroid.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin