A tribute to my father

Discuss non-Astronomy related subjects. NOTE: posts are removed automatically after 365 days.
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

A tribute to my father

Post by Thefatkitty »

My earliest astronomy adventures were with my father. In 1971 our family went to Cavendish beach in Prince Edward Island. Little 6 year old me got his first views of Jupiter and Saturn through my dads 60mm Tasco. I was blown away and forever hooked on the skies.

Not long after that, I remember him telling me about these new missions from NASA called Pioneers 10 & 11, which would be followed by the 2 Voyager spacecraft in 1977. A year after the Pioneers left, he gave me this book:

ADFOS.jpg

He had his name and the year he got it written on the inside of the cover, so of course I had to do the same. My handwriting has since improved :lol:

sig.jpg

His father had given it to him when he was 14, and he gave it to me when I was 9. It was published in 1944. Of course, a lot of the info in it is somewhat dated now, but I read that book so many times...

The Pioneers both left, and made it through the asteroid belt unscathed. The pictures returned weren't the best, but it gave humanity a glimpse into the outer solar system for the first time. It was also discovered that Jupiter emitted way more radiation than previously thought, so the Voyagers were "beefed up" to handle it.

Voyager 2 was launched first, on August 20, 1977. My dad and I were so excited. Voyager 1 was launched on September 5, 1977. My dad did not hear about this, and I have no memory of it.

He died around August 28th; though that's a best guess. The causes of his death were not natural; I'll leave it at that. He was 41 and I was 11.

Life continued for myself and the Voyagers. They made their fly-bys and discoveries; I read about them in National Geographic and Scientific American, and always thought how much he would have enjoyed it all.

Now they're both in interstellar space, and I'm a co-admin on the best astronomy forum on the net, and with more telescopes than one person should own. I think he'd be proud of all of it.

About 25 years ago I had a small tattoo done on my back of the Voyager spacecraft with his name underneath. It wasn't overly well done and has since faded. Time for a new one.

After much searching, I finally settled on a place. I went in for a consultation last Saturday, and was there for an hour. I showed them what I wanted, and today it came to life and was better than I had hoped for!

The place is Big Daddys House in the Scarborough area of Toronto.
The artists name is Dolly, and she was absolutely great. As well the staff; I was asked three times if I'd like a drink, am I comfortable, etc. Very friendly atmosphere, and Dolly and I talked quite a bit. It took an hour and a half. She needed a break when I told her the circumstances surrounding my father's passing; poor girl had to cry it out a bit. The part of my arm in front of my elbow felt a bit of pain as the magnetometer was inked over it, but that was only a few minutes. She copied his name from my book, and put the years he lived below that. It even looks like his handwriting.

And the spacecraft? The detail is amazing! I requested some blue, and she even put shading on the antenna dish. It was only $250, and I gave her a $50 tip. Worth every penny, I love it!! :D

So here's to you, Dad:

voy1.jpg
voy2.jpg

It's been a week, and hearing about Marshall yesterday kind of rocked my world. I'm gonna have a couple beers and maybe watch a documentary. I'll also have to get used to sleeping on my right side for a week.... :lol:

Take care and have a good day/night all,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦Member of the RASC
Juno16 United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: A tribute to my father

Post by Juno16 »

Wow Mark. A very nicely written heartfelt tribute to your dad. He left you with great memories!
Congratulations on your new tattoo and enjoy the beers.
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
helicon Online United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 599

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Nice tribute and sorry for your loss at age 11. Like you Mark I had some tears well up especially since I got Sheri's email about Marshall at 10:36 am here. I was waiting for my niece to get some cannabis at the shop in town sitting in my SUV. She has epilepsy and it's part of her treatment along with other meds. She can't drive because she has repetitive seizures. I posted something as soon as I got Sheri's message. It's tough losing Marshall, NFA, and probably others we don't know about yet.

I hope they are in a better place.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229Β° N
Bigzmey Online United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

This is a nice tribute to your dad, Mark! This is amazing that he had a telescope and hooked you up to astronomy. And the book is such a treasure. I don't have much but it is nice to have a few things to remember my parents by.

@helicon I hear you Michael. The finality of these losses hits you hard and as we grow older the list is growing.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Delos, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3122 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2196, S110: 77). Doubles: 2461, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 261
Ylem Online United States of America

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

That's very nice Mark, beautiful tribute to your dad.
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

Lady Fraktor Slovakia

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Thank you for sharing such a personal story Mark.
The tattoo looks very nice and a wonderful tribute to your father.
Some nice refractors, eyepieces, mounts and related equipment
The only culture I have is from yogurt
Graeme1858 Online Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

That's a very personal and lovely read Mark.

The tattoo is excellent! The detail is great.

It's fair to say that your Dad would have been well pleased with how you turned out!

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
messier 111 Canada

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

your story is very touching, merci mon ami .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

β€œYour assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
Richard South Africa

Post by Richard »

Yes as others have mentioned, great
Reflectors GSO 200 Dobs
Refractors None
SCT C5 on a SLT mount
Mak 150 Bosma on a EQ5
StarHugger Online United States of America

Post by StarHugger »

Nice tribute Mark indeed, You have been very lucky to have a Father for the time you did as I never even knew mine for a day, even luckier to have an awesome dad like he was to you...

Seeing your post today and hearing about Marshalls passing brings a heartfelt tone to todays contenplations and wonderings,

My Best, to all those suffering a loss or missing a loved one...
Aaron / thestarhugger@gmail.com / Solar Kitchen Observatory / USA...

Small Bore Multiple Wavelength Experimental Solar Imaging, Filtering, SEAA & Visual Observation
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Thefatkitty »

Juno16 wrote: ↑Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:03 pm Wow Mark. A very nicely written heartfelt tribute to your dad. He left you with great memories!
Congratulations on your new tattoo and enjoy the beers.
Thanks Jim, I appreciate that; and yes he did.
Ended up being four beers :lol:
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Thefatkitty »

helicon wrote: ↑Sun Jan 21, 2024 12:43 am Nice tribute and sorry for your loss at age 11. Like you Mark I had some tears well up especially since I got Sheri's email about Marshall at 10:36 am here. I was waiting for my niece to get some cannabis at the shop in town sitting in my SUV. She has epilepsy and it's part of her treatment along with other meds. She can't drive because she has repetitive seizures. I posted something as soon as I got Sheri's message. It's tough losing Marshall, NFA, and Turboscrew (Juha) and probably others we don't know about yet.

I hope they are in a better place.
Thanks Michael, and yes, it was a shock. After hearing about that I didn't feel like getting this done Saturday; it felt like too much at once. But the appointment was made and I had to think Marshall would have liked what I did; I know he would have.

Sorry to hear about your niece, that's difficult. Funny though, I know a few people who take CBD's for arthritis. I've tried it for old injuries that ache in the winter months and it really helps. So glad the laws here have changed.
And as for the others who haven't been on here, I too can think of a few we probably don't know about.
Mark

Solar:
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Thefatkitty »

Bigzmey wrote: ↑Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:03 am This is a nice tribute to your dad, Mark! This is amazing that he had a telescope and hooked you up to astronomy. And the book is such a treasure. I don't have much but it is nice to have a few things to remember my parents by.

@helicon I hear you Michael. The finality of these losses hits you hard and as we grow older the list is growing.
Thanks Andrey; I don't have much either but treasure what I do. I have no idea what happened to his scope after he died. Most of it is books, cards, photo's and the like. I will say this; the owner of the tattoo shop came out and thanked me for choosing his place to get something so personal done. Seems word got around, and she did a great job!

Yeah, it's tough losing people...
Mark

Solar:
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Thefatkitty »

Ylem wrote: ↑Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:09 am That's very nice Mark, beautiful tribute to your dad.
Thanks Jeff, I'm really happy with it. Another five days of the "saran wrap" over it though...!!
Mark

Solar:
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Thefatkitty »

Lady Fraktor wrote: ↑Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:51 am Thank you for sharing such a personal story Mark.
The tattoo looks very nice and a wonderful tribute to your father.
Hey Gabrielle, and you're welcome. I actually found it quite relaxing to write that all out, plus it took my mind off the slight throbbing in my arm :lol:

It did turn out well and I think he would like it. I'm really happy with the way it turned out; better that I expected!

Hope you're both well :D
Mark

Solar:
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Thefatkitty »

Graeme1858 wrote: ↑Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:10 am That's a very personal and lovely read Mark.

The tattoo is excellent! The detail is great.

It's fair to say that your Dad would have been well pleased with how you turned out!

Regards

Graeme
Thank you Graeme on all accounts! As for how I turned out, that could be debatable :lol: Just kidding, I believe you're right. He might tell me to get a haircut, but beyond that, I think he'd be happy :)
Mark

Solar:
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Thefatkitty »

messier 111 wrote: ↑Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:10 pm your story is very touching, merci mon ami .
Bienvenue Jean-Yves. It was a difficult time, but we all persevere. Tattoo's are not for everyone, but to look over my left shoulder and see that brings a smile to my face :D
Mark

Solar:
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Thefatkitty »

Richard wrote: ↑Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:37 pm Yes as others have mentioned, great
Thank you Richard, I'm quite happy with the results! :D
Mark

Solar:
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Thefatkitty »

StarHugger wrote: ↑Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:33 pm Nice tribute Mark indeed, You have been very lucky to have a Father for the time you did as I never even knew mine for a day, even luckier to have an awesome dad like he was to you...

Seeing your post today and hearing about Marshalls passing brings a heartfelt tone to todays contenplations and wonderings,

My Best, to all those suffering a loss or missing a loved one...
Hey Aaron, thanks very much, and I was really so sorry to read what you wrote about your father. And after reading about Marshall, I really wasn't into getting this done, but the appointment was set. It just felt like too much at once.

I hear you on the loss as well, too much of that in the past ten years :( Thanks for the reply and stay well.
Mark

Solar:
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Thefatkitty »

Not trying to ressurect this, but if you've never had a tat, this is what happens :D

First, you have your idea taken from paper and transferred to your arm/whatever with a tattoo transfer stencil machine.

01.jpg

In my case, an hour and a half later, you get this:

02.JPG

This is where the fun begins, visually. You wake up next morning with this; thinking WTH??

03.JPG

Not to worry, the Saniderm (plastic wrap) takes in all the extra ink while your tat heals.

Today it looks like this:

04.JPG

Tomorrow all the Saniderm comes off, as well as all the ink that comes as excess. So looking forward to it!

Thanks all for putting up with me on this; tattoos are not everyone's thing. But I'm so looking forward to the end result!! :D
Mark

Solar: