Let's see your reports!
helicon Online United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 597

TSS Awards Badges

Really short Bino session...5° F

Post by helicon »

Well a blast of Artic air has settled in after the rain and snow. Cold enough to squeeze all the moisture, fog, and haze out of the air.

Getting up early I rose to a beautiful Orion in the sky which looked absolutely bejeweled. I stepped out on the deck and putting my glasses on had a wonderful naked eye view. However, I quickly moved back in from the cold.

Going out a couple of hours later before sunrise I was just in time for the rising Leo the lion, this time with 15x70 binos in hand.

I thought, well, will I be able to see M65 and M66? Sure enough, it was dark enough to show a faint gauzy patch in their suspected location, though I was not able to resolve them separately.

I also, panning the other way detected M96 and M105, though not the third member of the Triplet. They are just large enough to be visible at 15x, and just bright enough to be discerned in a 70mm objective. Easy objects in my old 10" Dob, they were challenging but doable this morning.

I have to be careful with my right hand as I once had frostbite from working outside in a trucking terminal at night (Teamster days) when it was around 30 below zero in Colorado. I had to use my right hand to do a piece count on the manifest for each load and couldn't wear my heavy glove on that hand. Lesson learned. These days it still bothers me when exposed to temperatures below freezing....

Nevertheless it turned out to be a worthy session and perfect for a new moon evening. Tonight hopefully with a bit more preparation to stay warm I will take out the scope(s), though probably I will use the XLT and take a crack at KT4HX's (Alan's) current list.

In days of yore observers without light pollution were able to conquer the entire Messier list with a four inch refractor, much to the chagrin of the urban or suburban astronomer over the past several decades. We also can say that now with EAA those days may have returned!
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Really short Bino session...5° F

Post by Bigzmey »

Nice session Michael! Kudos for braving the chill. One can be surprised by what could be detected with small binos even under LPed skies.

Good point about EAA. Hopefully, the recent inexpensive units revitalize backyard observing. Maybe we should introduce EAA Messier award? :D
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Delos, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3122 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2196, S110: 77). Doubles: 2461, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 261
Xio1996 Great Britain
Articles: 0

Post by Xio1996 »

Hi Michael,

A lovely report. It got me reminiscing about my journey in astronomy. About 4 years ago, I switched to EAA with the same kit I had been using for a decade with visual astronomy. The difference was unbelievable. I often say that I have seen more in the last 4 years with EAA than I have in the last 4+ decades of visual astronomy. However, I don't want to dismiss those 40+ years of visual astronomy, I loved them and learnt so much. Even if it meant freezing to death or being bitten by most insect life on Earth! :icon-smile:

I completely agree with you that the advent of cheap'ish EAA telescopes will encourage a new age of backyard astronomers. Now young and older people can view the night sky and be inspired with colour and detail rather than the grey smudges I use to view through my 60mm Greenkat refractor. Hopefully, a new generation of scientists, engineers or perhaps just astronomy hobbyists will spring forth.

Thank you for your report.

Pete
EAA Observing from the Isle of Wight, UK
Telescope: Celestron CPC800, NexStar 4se - Camera: Altair Astro Hypercam 294c PRO, ZWO ASI 533MM
Software: CPWI, SharpCap, Stellarium, TheSky, SkyChart, Starry Night 8, Aladin, ASTAP and AstroPlanner.
YouTube 'EAA with an 8-inch SCT' https://www.youtube.com/@Xio2011
Thefatkitty Online Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Thefatkitty »

Nice deal Michael, good for you! Sometimes it takes some nice frigid temps to move in and clear all the "crap" out. Binos.... I haven't done that in so long it seems. You picked some nice targets, the views must have been stunning.

All the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
🇨🇦Member of the RASC
jrkirkham United States of America

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by jrkirkham »

Bravo for the courage and fortitude to crawl out the door at 5 F! My personal record is 18 F. As I get older I have determined never to break that record! I am torn with the advent of EAA telescopes. I offer an annual star party for friends. It is expensive, but I could sure imagine having something like that new 6" RASA shining on a big screen to go along with my other scopes and binoculars for that party. It looks like you had a great night viewing. It doesn't take long for the night to be special.
Rob
Telescopes: 50mm refractor, ED80 triplet, 90mm makcass, 10" dob, 8"SCT, 11"SCT
Mounts: Celestron CGX, Orion Sirius + several camera tripods
Cameras: Canon 6D, Canon 80D, ZWO-ASI120MC
Binoculars: 10x50, 12x60, 15x70, 25-125x80
Observatory: SkyShed POD XL3 + 8x12 warm room
AL Projects Completed: Lunar #645, Outreach #0280, Universe Sampler #93-T, Binocular Messier #871, Messier #2521, Messier Honorary #2521, Constellation Hunter Northern Skies #112, Planetary Transit Venus #1, Galileo #26, Outreach Stellar 0280, Meteor Regular #157, Solar System Telescopic #209-I, Observer Award #1
AL Projects Currently in Process: Double Stars, Comet, Lunar Evolution
kt4hx Online United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

I like your fortitude Michael. Its not easy getting out there in such cold air, especially given your history with frostbite. Good luck with your pursuit of the "Challenge" objects, and hope you get some warmer air soon. Our cold air is coming in a few days, and it will be rough out there for sure!
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

kt4hx wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:56 am I like your fortitude Michael. Its not easy getting out there in such cold air, especially given your history with frostbite. Good luck with your pursuit of the "Challenge" objects, and hope you get some warmer air soon. Our cold air is coming in a few days, and it will be rough out there for sure!
Thanks Alan. Looking forward to them! :telescopewink:
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Xio1996 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 2:28 am Hi Michael,

A lovely report. It got me reminiscing about my journey in astronomy. About 4 years ago, I switched to EAA with the same kit I had been using for a decade with visual astronomy. The difference was unbelievable. I often say that I have seen more in the last 4 years with EAA than I have in the last 4+ decades of visual astronomy. However, I don't want to dismiss those 40+ years of visual astronomy, I loved them and learnt so much. Even if it meant freezing to death or being bitten by most insect life on Earth! :icon-smile:

I completely agree with you that the advent of cheap'ish EAA telescopes will encourage a new age of backyard astronomers. Now young and older people can view the night sky and be inspired with colour and detail rather than the grey smudges I use to view through my 60mm Greenkat refractor. Hopefully, a new generation of scientists, engineers or perhaps just astronomy hobbyists will spring forth.

Thank you for your report.

Pete
Thanks Pete. I am really bullish on EAA now. Both clubs I am a member of - in California and Washington have started to get EAA devotees. At first I was a bit of a curmudgeon - toys and Asimov's geegaws is how I saw them. When I was working on the UPS Online team back in the mid-90's senior management often looked with a jaundiced eye at our presentations and products intended for the U.S. market. "The Internet is a joke for hucksters, surely it will go away" some said.
-Michael