Post your Lunar images here.
Juno16 United States of America
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

New Image: Samyang 135 F2 First Light

Post by Juno16 »

Hi All,

I recently bought a Samyang 135 F2 because I saw so many terrific images taken with it by David @Jockinireland and Pete @Petrol.
My AP camera sensor is smaller than theirs, but I definitely will get a huge fov increase when I get it set up.

I am in no hurry to go AP with it though, I have been trying to get used to using the totally manual lens with my old Nikon D3300 APS-C dslr.
This entry level camera doesn't seem to be the easiest to use in Manual mode. But, I have had lots of fun messing around with it and the lens sharpness wide open (F2) is amazing.

This is my first image with the lens. I happened to notice that the moon was occasionally visible through thick patch fast moving clouds a few nights ago and it looked pretty cool, so I decided to play around.

It is hard to nail focus at wide aperture. I definitely need more practice!

This is one of the better shots. 1/30 sec, F3.5, ISO 4000. The color is real, but I did bump up the saturation because it looked cool! Two saturation versions below.

Oh, by the way, the moon is framed with Jupiter. Both peering through the clouds!

Thanks for looking!

test1_sat.jpg

test1_more_sat.jpg
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
carastro Great Britain

TSS Photo of the Day

AP Processing Challenge

Re: New Image: Samyang 135 F2 First Light

Post by carastro »

I have one of these super lenses and do all my widefield stuff on it. I was recommended to use f2.8 rather than f2 as it would be less demanding, Something to do with the stars at the edges/corners. Can't quite remember now.

Enjoy

Carole
Mount: HEQ5 + Polemaster
Guiding: SW Finderguider and QHY5
Scopes: Skywatcher ED80, Skywatcher ED120, William Optics ZS71, Samyang 135MM F2 lens,
Cameras: Atik460EX, Atik428EX, Canon 1100D
Filters: Baader

https://sites.google.com/view/astrophot ... -pope/home

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

carastro wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:32 pm I have one of these super lenses and do all my widefield stuff on it. I was recommended to use f2.8 rather than f2 as it would be less demanding, Something to do with the stars at the edges/corners. Can't quite remember now.

Enjoy

Carole

Thanks Carole!
I am seeing lots of images on Astrobin with these lenses.
Having fun with it on the dslr now, but eventually it will see AP use.
Thank you for the advice!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
JSBach1801 United States of America

Post by JSBach1801 »

@carastro
@Juno16

Most still photography lens become softer and optically distorted around the edges when used wide open. Even the best glass in the world will have the issue to some degree, however small. Stopping down is usually the prescription. The issues tend to go away as the f-stop number becomes higher, obviously, at the expense of lens speed. So it will be a trade off. Use the fastest f-stop (widest aperture) that still gives you acceptable corners. You may need to do some controlled testing of the same image at different f-stop (everything else being equal) before using in the field to find what you prefer.

The other prescription that works as well is to just throw more money at the problem. Jim, you sure you wouldn't like to trade in for one of these?:

Nikon 135mm f/1.8
Lyle In Utah

Telescopes: William Optics Zenithstar 73 III APO, ZWO 30mm f/4 Mini Guide Scope
Cameras: Sony a7IV Mirrorless, ZWO ASI120MM-MINI
Mount: Sky Watcher EQM-35i
Control: ASIAIR Plus
messier 111 Canada

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

very nice photos, have fun with your new lens, thx.
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

JSBach1801 wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:05 pm @carastro
@Juno16

Most still photography lens become softer and optically distorted around the edges when used wide open. Even the best glass in the world will have the issue to some degree, however small. Stopping down is usually the prescription. The issues tend to go away as the f-stop number becomes higher, obviously, at the expense of lens speed. So it will be a trade off. Use the fastest f-stop (widest aperture) that still gives you acceptable corners. You may need to do some controlled testing of the same image at different f-stop (everything else being equal) before using in the field to find what you prefer.

The other prescription that works as well is to just throw more money at the problem. Jim, you sure you wouldn't like to trade in for one of these?:

Nikon 135mm f/1.8

Much appreciated Lyle.

I bought this lens for AP after seeing the outstanding work done with it both members here and a ton of folks on Astrobin.
I understand what you are saying about stopping the lens down to improve optical quality.
From what I hear personally and read, this lens performs great at wide open or nearly wide open for both AP and regular photography

Imaging at F2 or F2.8 (as Carole mentioned) is a huge advantage for AP as is the wide field.

Of course, I haven’t experienced this personally yet, but I surely plan to!

I am really looking forward playing with this lens on the Nikon, but, when funding rolls in (and is approved my management) the mounting rings, autofocus motor, and guide scope/camera will be added.

messier 111 wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:21 am very nice photos, have fun with your new lens, thx.

Thanks Jean-Yves! Having fun!
Jim

Ylem Online United States of America

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Very beautiful images Jim!
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

SparWeb Canada

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SparWeb »

I have a Rokinon 14mm lens. I think of it as my "fun" lens. Enjoy your Samyang!

Paying 1/3 the price of a Canon lens with similar specs is indeed part of the fun, for me.

(Rokinon is identical to Samyang but different branding and usually same price)
Steven Fahey
51.248N, 113.53W, 995m ASL
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/IALBERTA147
Canon 6D (unmodified) + Lunt 4" (102mm) achromat refractor (7.1 focal ratio) + Celestron AVX mount
StarHugger United States of America

Post by StarHugger »

Nice imaging,

Perfect lens for the shot too...
Aaron / thestarhugger@gmail.com / Solar Kitchen Observatory / USA...

Small Bore Multiple Wavelength Experimental Solar Imaging, Filtering, SEAA & Visual Observation

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Ylem wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:05 am Very beautiful images Jim!

Thanks Jeff!

I have a lot to learn using a manual lens again (film days), but I am really enjoying playing around.

SparWeb wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:29 am I have a Rokinon 14mm lens. I think of it as my "fun" lens. Enjoy your Samyang!

Paying 1/3 the price of a Canon lens with similar specs is indeed part of the fun, for me.

(Rokinon is identical to Samyang but different branding and usually same price)
Enjoy your Rokinon!
I’ve also read about your 14mm and how great it is for wide field (really wide field).

Yes, for the price point, the optics are superb!
StarHugger wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:46 am Nice imaging,

Perfect lens for the shot too...

Thanks.
I just walked outside with the dogs and saw the thick clouds obscuring the moon. Every now and then Jupiter would perk through. Grabbed the camera and tripod ( the tripod struggled with the weight) and saw that thhe frame looked nice.
Took a bunch of shots just playing with the focus and exposure settings.
Got a few decent shots.
The blue color near the moon and orange-browns of the thick clouds looked cool. I am sure that I over saturated both versions, but all in fun!
Jim

carastro Great Britain

TSS Photo of the Day

AP Processing Challenge

Post by carastro »

I am really looking forward playing with this lens on the Nikon, but, when funding rolls in (and is approved my management) the mounting rings, autofocus motor, and guide scope/camera will be added.
A word of caution before you spend too much. Using the Samyang lens with a filterwheel and an imaging camera, some people found great difficulty in achieving focus. One UK member designed a bracket to attach some cameras directly to the lens which entailed removing the bayonet. Others could not achieve focus at all. In my case I did not want to remove the bayonet as I wanted the option to use my DSLR with it too, so I had to buy a compatible adapter. With the Filterwheel I can JUST achieve focus, but it is right on the end of focus, so there is no fiddling around changing focus between filters, that's where it has to stay, luckily all my filters are parfocal.

Another option was to open up the lens and adjust the end point of focus, I saw a tutorial on this, but it was way beyond my capabilities.

So I would get as much advice as possible, find out what others with the same kit use and make sure it will work for you before adding any further expense such as mounting rings and an autofocusser.

I bought some 3D printed mounting rings which already had a bracket for a finderguider, but the filterwheel was in the way for that, so I simply mount my Samyang set up piggy bank on my ED80 and mount the guidescope on that.

I hope it works for you.

Carole
Mount: HEQ5 + Polemaster
Guiding: SW Finderguider and QHY5
Scopes: Skywatcher ED80, Skywatcher ED120, William Optics ZS71, Samyang 135MM F2 lens,
Cameras: Atik460EX, Atik428EX, Canon 1100D
Filters: Baader

https://sites.google.com/view/astrophot ... -pope/home

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

carastro wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:18 pm
A word of caution before you spend too much. Using the Samyang lens with a filterwheel and an imaging camera, some people found great difficulty in achieving focus. One UK member designed a bracket to attach some cameras directly to the lens which entailed removing the bayonet. Others could not achieve focus at all. In my case I did not want to remove the bayonet as I wanted the option to use my DSLR with it too, so I had to buy a compatible adapter. With the Filterwheel I can JUST achieve focus, but it is right on the end of focus, so there is no fiddling around changing focus between filters, that's where it has to stay, luckily all my filters are parfocal.

Another option was to open up the lens and adjust the end point of focus, I saw a tutorial on this, but it was way beyond my capabilities.

So I would get as much advice as possible, find out what others with the same kit use and make sure it will work for you before adding any further expense such as mounting rings and an autofocusser.

I bought some 3D printed mounting rings which already had a bracket for a finderguider, but the filterwheel was in the way for that, so I simply mount my Samyang set up piggy bank on my ED80 and mount the guidescope on that.

I hope it works for you.

Carole

Thanks a bunch Carole and I really appreciate you sharing your experience with the lens.

I am really having fun with the lens on my dslr. This lens is incredibly sharp!

As far as astro, I purchased the Astrodymium Ring System for the lens today. I plan to use a filter drawer and my OSC camera which hopefully will not be in the way. Also, I did get a heads up from David @jockinireland about the focus stop and I do plan to use an EAF, so I plan to remove the focus stop. I have two EAF's (installed on scopes), but I will rob one of them to try out the Samyang.

Hopefully things will go okay, but I do have some members here with the same basic setup that offered to help which is really nice.

I thank you again for sharing. Worse case is I will just use the lens for regular photography, but like you, I will try awful hard to get a workable rig.
Jim

JSBach1801 United States of America

Post by JSBach1801 »

Juno16 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:56 pm As far as astro, I purchased the Astrodymium Ring System for the lens today.
Jim, where did you purchase from? Could you share a link?
Lyle In Utah

Telescopes: William Optics Zenithstar 73 III APO, ZWO 30mm f/4 Mini Guide Scope
Cameras: Sony a7IV Mirrorless, ZWO ASI120MM-MINI
Mount: Sky Watcher EQM-35i
Control: ASIAIR Plus

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Of course Lyle.

I bought it from Agena Astro https://agenaastro.com/astrodymium-ring ... eaf-s.html

No tax. No shipping cost.
Jim