International Observe The Moon Night Anyone?

Let's see your reports!
Unitron48 United States of America
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

International Observe The Moon Night Anyone?

Post by Unitron48 »

NASA declares an International Observe the Moon (IOTM) night every year. Per NASA, "International Observe the Moon Night occurs annually in September or October, when the Moon is around first quarter ― a great phase for evening observing. A first-quarter Moon offers excellent viewing opportunities along the terminator (the line between night and day), where shadows enhance the Moon’s cratered landscape."

Last evening was this year's event and I planned to set up a scope in front of the Culpeper County Library from 6 pm until 9 pm. The area is pretty light polluted but my targets for the evening were the First Quarter Moon and Saturn, both which would be clearly visible. The forecast called for windy, partial cloudy conditions.

I set up my scope by 6 pm. I used my Brandon 94 (94mm, f/7) on a Stellarvue MC02 alt/az mount with TV 22mm Panoptic (29x) and TV 10mm Radian (64x) eyepieces. Unfortunately the library closed at 5 pm on Saturday's, so I lost that potential crowd. To provide better viewing, and possibly pick up a larger audience, I moved over to the grassy area next to a local restaurant that stays pretty busy on a Saturday night.

To say I was disappointed would be an understatement! I had only one passer-by interested enough to ask me what I was looking at...but for whatever reason was reluctant to take a look. Before I packed up (and a very large cloud bank rolled over the Moon), I did get in some decent Lunar viewing.

Did anyone else take advantage of IOTM night?

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein
Graeme1858 Online Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Re: International Observe The Moon Night Anyone?

Post by Graeme1858 »

You can lead a horse to water......

I didn't know it was International Observe the Moon Night!

Better luck next year!

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
Star Dad United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Star Dad »

Clouds, followed by rain, with clouds as a dessert. CT was said to get 4 clear nights a month, but I'm down to about 1 or two every six weeks. :confusion-shrug:
"To be good is not enough when you dream of being great"

Orion 203mm/f4.9/1000mm, converted TASCO 114mm/f9/1000mm to steam punk, Meade 114mm/f9/1000, Coronado PST, Orion EQ-G, Ioptron Mini-Tower and iEQ30, Canon 70D, ASI120MM,ASI294MC, Ioptron SkyHunter
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Valiant effort Dave! Lack of interest is disappointing. In the past people would gladly jump on the opportunity to see Saturn.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Delos, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3122 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2196, S110: 77). Doubles: 2461, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 261
Lady Fraktor Slovakia

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Autumn rains here so no viewing anyways.
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1000101)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 597

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Cloudy and rainy. I hadn't heard about IOTM night but it's a good idea!
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1049

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

TSS EAA Messier awards

Post by Gordon »

The wife and I went out for a few minutes until those nasty little biting critters started up!

Can't do much imaging lately, this time of year the forest service is doing all of there 'controlled burns' so the smoke is pretty heavy.
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

StarBru United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

Post by StarBru »

Sorry the turnout was so dismal! I had forgotten about International Observe the Moon Night. I guess it snuck up on me this year and I was preoccupied with having a virus that's been going around. I hope I can participate next year!
Bruce

Refractors: Meade AR-5 127mm f/9.3, Meade ST-80 f/5 and Meade 60mm f/12, Jason 60mm f/15 #313, Jason 60mm f/12 #306 S7, Bushnell Sky Chief III 60mm f/15.
Reflectors/Catadioptrics: Meade 10" F/4 Schmidt-Newtonian, Galileo 120mm f/8.3 Newtonian, Meade 2045D 4" f/10 SCT, Meade ETX-90EC f/13.8 & Sarblue 60mm f/12.5 Maksutov-Cassegrains.
Mounts: Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro & Meade LXD55 Equatorial mounts, ES Twilight II and Meade 2102 ALT/AZ mounts, a modified 10" SkyQuest Dobsonian mount, various 60mm EQ mounts.
Misc: Celestron 20x80mm binoculars, Revolution II Imager/accessories, & lots of optical accessories/eyepieces.
Projects: 8" f/2.9 and 65mm f/10 reflectors, Dobson-style binocular mirror mount.
XCalRocketMan United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by XCalRocketMan »

I am the host of an astronomy lecture/event every third Saturday from April to October at the Soldier's Delight Natural Environmental area here in Maryland. Because of my schedule (my wedding anniversary vacation) I was unable to run the event but other members of the Westminster Astronomical Society (WASI) covered for me. The event was a huge success - over 50 attended (normal is about 5-12). There was a lecture/slide show, discussions about everything lunar and then everyone went outside to view the moon through telescopes provided by WASI and the Baltimore County library borrowable telescope program (clear skies for a change here in MD). I was bummed I missed it, but the wife and I had a great time at Cacapon Lodge in West Virginia.
Scopes Celestron EdgeHD-11; William Optics GT102; William Optics ZS61; Criterion Dynamax-8 SCT
Mounts AP1100GTO mount w/APCCpro; iOptron iEQ30 Pro; Criterion Dynamax-8 SCT
Lenses Hyperstar-III; Celestron 0.7x FR; WO Flat/Reducer 0.8x
Guiding Celestron OAG w/ASI174mm mini; WO 50mm; Orion ST80
Cameras and Filters ZWO2600mm Pro w/Optolong 3nm NB and RGB; ZWOASI1600mm Pro (ZWO LRGB and Astrodon Ha-5nm, Oiii-3nm, Sii-5nm), QHY10, Canon 50D; ASI174mm mini; ASI462MC; ASI120MC
Misc Moonlite focuser on Edge - Feather-Touch focuser on GT102; ZWO EAF on ZS61; ZWO 2" and 31mm FWs; Kendrick Dew System, Temp-est Fans
Software NINA; PHD; APT; BYE; PI; APP; PSP; Registax; FireCapture; SharpCap
Blog at: SkyAndRockets
MrShorty United States of America

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by MrShorty »

I sent out fliers around my neighborhood a couple days before, then set up my telescopes in a local park. Several of my neighbors came over and we looked at the moon and Saturn (and Jupiter, after it came up). We had good seeing conditions, so the views were fairly crisp. All in all a good night out. Might do it again.
telescopes: XT6 and XT12 Dobsonians
binoculars: 15x70
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

You gave it a truly commendable effort Dave! Sorry things didn't work out for you. I had no idea it was IOTM either. I usually spend most of my time avoiding the moon given my proclivity for galaxy hunting. But had I known I might have taken out the 80mm. Its unfortunate that the majority of people can't even spare a moment to look up at the night sky once in a while. They truly have no clue as to what they are missing.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Unitron48 United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

kt4hx wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:02 pm You gave it a truly commendable effort Dave! Sorry things didn't work out for you. I had no idea it was IOTM either. I usually spend most of my time avoiding the moon given my proclivity for galaxy hunting. But had I known I might have taken out the 80mm. Its unfortunate that the majority of people can't even spare a moment to look up at the night sky once in a while. They truly have no clue as to what they are missing.
Thanks, Alan. I host an astronomy program that is sponsored by the county library. We have monthly astronomy related presentations as well as observing sessions at Morning Calm Observatory. Pre-Covid we would have 25-30 attendees; post Covid we average 10-12...and less attendees at our observing sessions. On top of that almost all of our attendees are above the age of 45-50. Pretty sad, but a sign of our times.

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Unitron48 wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:28 pm
kt4hx wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:02 pm You gave it a truly commendable effort Dave! Sorry things didn't work out for you. I had no idea it was IOTM either. I usually spend most of my time avoiding the moon given my proclivity for galaxy hunting. But had I known I might have taken out the 80mm. Its unfortunate that the majority of people can't even spare a moment to look up at the night sky once in a while. They truly have no clue as to what they are missing.
Thanks, Alan. I host an astronomy program that is sponsored by the county library. We have monthly astronomy related presentations as well as observing sessions at Morning Calm Observatory. Pre-Covid we would have 25-30 attendees; post Covid we average 10-12...and less attendees at our observing sessions. On top of that almost all of our attendees are above the age of 45-50. Pretty sad, but a sign of our times.

Dave

Unfortunately Covid worked a number on the collective mentality. That plus our world is so full of distractions now. It is just easier to follow those distractions than to take the road less traveled. Keeping plugging away, as I know there are some there who appreciate your efforts.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 597

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Unitron48 wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:28 pm

Dave
Our local club has around 40 members. Recent outreach has been pretty effective with sometimes over 50 folks observing from a pier down by the bay. There is a walkway or promenade which goes by the water's edge/marina so people stroll by and look through the scopes. Typically the folks who do this set up around 6pm and end around 10pm. I haven't been to any of these events yet but apparently post-Covid audiences are bouncing back. I did go to the club's outreach session here in the park in August of last year where we had a speaker/professor from the local college after which we put out an 8" Celestron Dob.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N