Observing Report for 18 October 2023 - a simple galaxy hunt

Let's see your reports!
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Observing Report for 18 October 2023 - a simple galaxy hunt

Post by kt4hx »

I made a quick (one night) trip over to our dark site house to take care of a couple of chores related to our well-water system there. It had been a little while since I had changed the whole house water sediment filter cartridge, so that was my first order of business. Once that was completed, I then set about changing the bulb in the UV water treatment system.

When we were at the house on our return from Indiana (my last report), we found the UV treatment system in alarm indicating failure of the UV bulb. They typically last us about 12 to 18 months. So upon return home I ordered a replacement and on this trip I would install the new bulb. Upon removing the glass sleeve in which the bulb resides within the system housing, I cleaned it with CLR to remove sediment residue from the sleeve. I then removed the defective UV bulb from within the sleeve and inserted the replacement. The sleeve/bulb combo was then reinserted into the system housing, everything reconnected and the water turned back on to check for leaks. I then plugged the control unit back in and let it go through its power up sequence. Once that was done, the front panel displayed all green lights indicating the new bulb was up and radiating the water that passes through, killing any bacterial contaminants.

The last thing I did late in the afternoon was to bring in the cushions and various sundry items from our screened in back patio and store them in the garage for winter. Once that was done, my list of chores for this trip was complete! I could now set about focusing on the important stuff, a little rest, then out into the cooling air for a bit of galaxy hunting! :icon-smile: My main goals in that arena were to revisit Pegasus and Pisces to sweep for some galaxies that, for one reason or another, were either not seen or were simply overlooked during myriad past observing sessions. This was sort of a filling in the gaps outing I guess one could say.

So with this in mind, after setting up my observing position, doing a quick collimation of the mirrors on the scope and aligning the unity and optical finders to the main view, I was ready to hit the sky road for about three hours. Last order of business was to power up the dew heaters for the finders as there was certainly a lot of moisture in the air – typical of this time of year. The sky was mostly clear, the Milky Way was a bit pale due to the soft transparency, but there were a lot of stars up there and I was aching for a real galaxy hunt! The air was cool at about 42° F (5.5° C), so I layered up a bit to ward off the chill for a while. Then off I went in search of those little denizens of the deep. I hope you will come along with me as I try to scrape a bit of fuzz from a dark rural sky.

(Equipment used)

17.5 inch f/4.5 dobsonian manual mount
Ethos 13mm (152x, 0.7° TFOV, 2.9mm exit pupil)
XW 10mm (199x, 0.4° TFOV, 2.2mm exit pupil)
XW 7mm (283x, 0.2° TFOV, 1.6mm exit pupil)
Uranometria All-Sky Edition (+ red light)

NGC 7411 (Pegasus, elliptical galaxy, mag=13.4, size=0.9’x0.9’, SBr=12.9):
Aiming the scope at mag 3.5 Mu Pegasi, I slipped southward about 5° to pick up a small backwards “L” of five stars (7th to 9th mag). Just north of this little asterism I located the field of my first pair of objects, all discovered in 1863 by Albert Marth. First up was this elliptical, the brightest of the three. With the 13mm in the focuser (152x), it presented a small, slightly dim rounded disk with a stellar core at its center. Though remaining dim, it was more apparent at both 199x and 283x, and overall not difficult. (New)

NGC 7409 (Pegasus, barred lenticular galaxy, mag=14.4, size=0.6’x0.4’, SBr=12.6):
Just 11’ west of the previous object, I picked up this dim dust bunny. First glimpsed with 152x, it was very dim to the eye, presenting a fairly small homogeneous oval. It remained a very dim, smooth disk even at 199x and 283x, though a little more apparent. (New)

NGC 7415 (Pegasus, spiral galaxy, mag=15.0, size=1.1’x0.2’, SBr=13.1):
This dim galaxy is about 4.5’ east of NGC 7411, and is forms a contact pair with MCG 03-58-011. Marth did not resolve the pair, and more than likely saw the combined light, so NGC 7415 could well be thought of as the combination of the two. I studied the field at 152x to 283x, but could never, with certainty, confirm whether or not I was picking up this system. At times I had a very fleeting suspicion of something there, but could never convince myself that it was to the point where I could put it in the log. So we will have to leave this as an “uncertain” item for the time being and move on.

NGC 7747 (Pegasus, barred spiral galaxy, mag=13.6, size=1.5’x0.5’, SBr=13.0):
Shifting over to page 63 of the Uranometria, I now found my next object on the list. Easily spotted with 152x, it presented a dim, clearly elongated oval disk. Its appearance was diffuse and evenly illuminated. Also viewed at 199x and 283x I was now detecting some broad, but subtle, core brightness. (New)

NGC 7740 (Pegasus, lenticular galaxy, mag=13.9, size=0.9’x0.5’, SBr=13.3):
Not quite half a degree west of the previous galaxy, I located my next object. Found using 152x, it presented a fairly dim, thick oval disk. Small and smoothly illuminated, though dim it was not particularly difficult. I was more apparent at both 199x and 283x, remaining homogeneous in appearance. This object is misidentified in various catalogues, even in my Sky Tools 4 software (by extension). In reality it equates to PGC 72200, when in fact it should be PGC 72216. It was discovered by Édouard Stephan in 1869. (New)

NGC 7737 (Pegasus, lenticular galaxy, mag=13.8, size=0.9’x0.4’, SBr=12.4):
About 19.5’ SSW of NGC 7740 I located this lenticular. Though it was small and dim at 152x, it was readily apparent. It presented an oval disk with a stellar core pinned to its center. It became even more apparent at both 199x and 283x, and it shared the field with a second dimmer galaxy to its northwest. (New)

MCG 4-55-47 (Pegasus, spiral galaxy, mag=14.3, size=0.5’x0.3’, SBr=12.1):
Just 3’ northwest of the previous object this spiral was also picked up using 152x, but it was noticeably dimmer. It displayed a pretty small oval envelope that was smoothing illuminated. More obvious in the field at 199x, it now displayed a stellar core. Though easier still at 283x it remained a dim little bulb in the eyepiece. (New)

NGC 7720 (Pegasus, elliptical galaxy, mag=12.4, size=1.6’x1.3’, SBr=12.9):
About 54’ west of the previous pair of galaxies I located my next three targets, within the field of the galaxy cluster Abell 2634. First up was this somewhat bright elliptical. At 152x it presented a small oval with a broadly brighter core region. Also viewed at 199x and 283x, it was very obvious within the field of view. William Herschel discovered this object in 1784, and also observed by his son John in 1828. (New)

IC 5341 (Pegasus, elliptical galaxy, mag=14.4, size=0.4’x0.4’, SBr=12.1):
Another member of Abell 2634, this elliptical was spotted using 152x, though it was fairly dim. It presented a small homogeneous rounded that remained weak, though easily seen with 199x and 283x. (New)

IC 5342 (Pegasus, elliptical galaxy, mag=14.6, size=0.7’x0.5’, SBr=13.2):
The third member of this galaxy cluster that I was able to pick up was this dim little dust bunny. Only suspected at 152x, it remained elusive even at 199x. However, it was confirmed at 283x as a very small and very dim oval disk that was evenly illuminated. (New)

NGC 7741 (Pegasus, barred spiral galaxy, mag=11.1, size=4.5’x2.9’, SBr=13.8):
South east of the AGC 2624 field I located a loose curve of three galaxies. The brightest of the lot was this barred spiral. Easily picked up using 152x, it revealed a somewhat large and somewhat bright thick oval envelope. I easily saw its central bar within the diffuse outer extremities. Viewed at 199x it was a bright and very obvious object, with the central bar dominating its disk. This was another 1784 discovery by William Herschel, and was a beautiful object indeed. (New)

NGC 7735 (Pegasus, elliptical galaxy, mag=13.6, size=1.3’x0.9’, SBr=13.5):
Next up was this elliptical about 24’ WNW of the previous object. Small and dim at 152x, its disk appeared rounded in shape sitting between two dim (13th and 14th mag) field stars. It was more apparent at 199x though not a strong visual presence. Then at 283x an intermittent stellar core was glimpsed within its dim and small envelope. Missed by William Herschel, it was discovered in 1828 by his son John. (New)

NGC 7745 (Pegasus, elliptical galaxy, mag=14.2, size=0.7’x0.7’, SBr=13.2):
Then about 15’ southeast of NGC 7741 I looked for this little elliptical, but only caught a suspicion of its presence at 152x. It was confirmed at 199x as a very small and very dim round ghostly orb. Even at 283x, while visible, it remained fairly dim and diaphanous to the eye. (New)

NGC 15 (Pegasus, spiral galaxy, mag=13.8, size=1.0’x0.6’, SBr=13.0):
Moving to the eastern side of Pegasus close to the Pisces border I easily located this dim and small object about 6.5’ east of a bright 9th mag field star. Using 152x it was obvious in the view as a homogeneous oval disk. Viewed with 199x it was an obvious little oval with an intermittent stellar core flicking in and out of view. Though it remained a little dim at 283x it remained easily seen in the field of view. (New)

NGC 52 (Pegasus, spiral galaxy, mag=13.4, size=2.2’x0.4’, SBr=13.0):
Slipping almost 3.5° to the south, I located the bright 5.6 mag star 87 Pegasi. I then turned ENE nearly 1.5° to locate this spiral right next to the Pegasus-Pisces border. It was first spotted using 152x as a small and very thin dim elongated diffuse glow. Then at 199x I was getting a suspicion of some internal brightness that seemed to be more to the eastern half of the envelope. Then at 283x it was easy, and presented a very elongated disk, with the brighter eastern half being a little more obvious. Checking images after the session, it indeed looks like the western portion of its disk is of lower surface brightness than is the eastern part. This was an interesting object indeed. (New)

At this point since I was close to the Pisces border, I decided to move over into the celestial fishes to go after some new ones there to finish out my evening. The first one was nearby to where I had been in Pegasus, so that was my starting point. So slipping southward from NGC 52, I edged into Pisces and located my next target.

NGC 57 (Pisces, elliptical galaxy, mag=11.6, size=2.2’x1.9’, SBr=12.9):

I found this object just a little over 1° SSE of the NGC 52. At 152x the initial impression was of subtly large and fairly bright rounded disk. It displayed a broadly brighter central region with a stellar core pinned to its center. This was a nice galaxy that I had overlooked previously for some unknown reason. (New)

NGC 7824 (Pisces, spiral galaxy, mag=13.2, size=1.6’x1.2’, SBr=13.6):
Turning to chart 81 in Uranometria I now moved SSW to pick up mag 4.0 Omega Piscium. I located this spiral about 1.5° to the star’s east. Easily found with 152x, the galactic disk was small and just slightly dim. It exhibited a thick oval disk that had an obvious stellar core within. I noticed a mag 10.5 field star just to its northwest. This was a nice little object that stood out quite well. (New)

UGC 36 (Pisces, spiral galaxy, mag=13.6, size=1.3’x0.6’, SBr=13.2):
In the same field of view as NGC 7824 and just 9’ to its south was this object. Dimmer than its field-mate, it was nonetheless easily seen at 152x. It displayed a small and dime oval disk with an intermittently visible stellar core. At 199x it was more obvious and its envelope was fairly diffuse. (New)

NGC 7816 (Pisces, spiral galaxy, mag=12.8, size=1.7’x1.5’, SBr=13.6):
About half a degree northwest of NGC 7824 I located my next couple of galaxies. The most obvious was this spiral that was easily seen at 152x. It presented a slightly small and subtly bright rounded disk. Viewed at 199x and 283x, an intermittent stellar core was now visible and the galaxy was strongly apparent in the field. (New)

NGC 7818 (Pisces, spiral galaxy, mag=14.0, size=1.0’x1.0’, SBr=13.7):
Sharing the field of view with NGC 7816 was this spiral about 8’ to its southeast. Clearly small and dimmer than its field-mate, this object was small and dim. The round envelope was smoothly illuminated. Viewed at 152x to 283x, its appearance changed little other than becoming slightly more apparent and it was not a difficult object. (New)

NGC 7834 (Pisces, spiral galaxy, mag=14.3, size=1.1’x0.8’, SBr=13.9):
Picked up with 152x, this spiral presented as a small and dim oval disk with a stellar core in the center of its envelope. More apparent at both 199x and 283x, it nonetheless remained dim. (New)

NGC 7835 (Pisces, spiral galaxy, mag=14.6, size=0.5’x0.2’, SBr=11.8):
This galaxy was a very dim and very small ghostly oval glow north of NGC 7834. Even at 199x and 283x it was a very challenging object that was never obvious in the field and could have easily been overlooked if I were not specifically looking for its presence. (New)

NGC 7838 (Pisces, spiral galaxy, mag=14.3, size=0.7’x0.3’, SBr=12.3):
NGC 7837 (Pisces, spiral galaxy, mag=14.4, size=0.5’x0.3’, SBr=12.1):

This pair lay about 4’ ESE of NGC 7834, and are also known as Arp 246. Observing at 152x to 283x I could never discern them as two distinct objects. Rather they were one common envelope, small and dim, homogeneous to the eye. The overall shape was elongated, most likely made more pronounced by the presence of NGC 7837 at the eastern tip of NGC 7838. Since I was unable to discern them as two objects, I will only count this as one in terms of my log book. (New)

NGC 3 (Pisces, lenticular galaxy, mag=13.3, size=1.1’x0.6’, SBr=12.6):
This object was picked up just over 6’ southeast of the Arp 246 pair, and the brightest of this grouping of galaxies. At 152x it was slightly dim and small; it was obvious in the field of view unlike its group-mates. It was very diffuse in appearance, and even at 199x it remained smoothly illuminated. (New)

NGC 7820 (Pisces, lenticular galaxy, mag=12.9, size=1.3’x0.6’, SBr=12.4):
About 3° SSW of the last grouping of galaxies I located a string of three, which would be my last objects for this evening. This lenticular at the western end of the three was the brightest of the lot. It presented as a small and slightly dim oval disk with a stellar core. Viewed with 199x and 283x it was more apparent and its stellar core obvious. (New)

NGC 7825 (Pisces, barred spiral galaxy, mag=13.6, size=1.0’x0.5’, SBr=12.6):
Next in line was this barred spiral. Viewing with 152x it presented a small and dim slightly oval disk that exhibited a stellar core at its center. It was more apparent at 199x and 283x and while its visible disk remained a bit small and dim, its stellar core was obvious. (New)

NGC 7827 (Pisces, barred lenticular galaxy, mag=13.9, size=1.2’x0.9’, SBr=13.7):
The easternmost of the group was this barred lenticular. Seen at 152x it was very dim and small. Slightly oval in shape it had a diffuse ghostly appearance. Even at 199x and 283x it was rather weak visually. (New)

It was now around 2300 hours, the temp was getting a little cool at 39° F (3.9° C) and everything was getting very wet from the humidity in the air. My dew heaters were doing a fine job on the finders, but I was getting damp, tired and chilly. After the trip over, the work I did upon arrival, then setting up the observing site and dim galaxy hunting, I was ready to call it a night. While the sky was clear, it remained somewhat soft in appearance due to the humidity. So I packed it all back into the garage and headed inside to warm up and catch a little sleep before heading back home in the morning. Thanks for following along on this galaxy hunt and I look forward to seeing you all back out there just as soon as possible. Keep looking up!
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Articles: 0

Re: Observing Report for 18 October 2023 - a simple galaxy hunt

Post by Lady Fraktor »

A nice report Alan :)
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1000101)
The only culture I have is from yogurt

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 5:46 pm A nice report Alan :)

Thank you Gabrielle. It was nice to do my first substantive galaxy hunt in some time. While my endurance levels are still not back up to normal, and thus my mental focus isn't as keen at times either, I felt it went well. But I am on the way back for sure! :icon-smile:
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Bigzmey Online United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Excellent session Alan! Love your descriptions as always. Do you pick your targets solely of Uranometria or also generate lists based on your observing criteria?
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Delos, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3122 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2196, S110: 77). Doubles: 2461, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 261

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Bigzmey wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:09 pm Excellent session Alan! Love your descriptions as always. Do you pick your targets solely of Uranometria or also generate lists based on your observing criteria?

Thank you Andrey. How I select my targets can vary, depending upon the constellation. In the case of Pegasus I have observed over 250 galaxies, so I compare a generated lists to about mag 15.0 to my log and then created a hit list for those that I have not observed yet. Then I add the Uranometria chart numbers that apply to each object to the spreadsheet which I take to the field. In the case of peripheral galaxies from the UGC, MCG and PGC catalogues, I don't usually target them specifically, rather if they are close to a targeted galaxy, and visible then they are observed and logged.

Since I moved over into Pisces on the fly in this case, I relied solely on my annotations in Uranometria. I underline each galaxy as I observe it, so I know by looking at the charts what I have seen already. However, I did not do that from the beginning, so I have to periodically pick a constellation, then go through my log and underline observed objects on the charts applicable to that constellation in preparation for an observing session.

This is likely a haphazard manner in which to operate, but it works for me since I utilize physical charts. :icon-smile:
Alan

Bigzmey Online United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

kt4hx wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 12:21 am
Bigzmey wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:09 pm Excellent session Alan! Love your descriptions as always. Do you pick your targets solely of Uranometria or also generate lists based on your observing criteria?

Thank you Andrey. How I select my targets can vary, depending upon the constellation. In the case of Pegasus I have observed over 250 galaxies, so I compare a generated lists to about mag 15.0 to my log and then created a hit list for those that I have not observed yet. Then I add the Uranometria chart numbers that apply to each object to the spreadsheet which I take to the field. In the case of peripheral galaxies from the UGC, MCG and PGC catalogues, I don't usually target them specifically, rather if they are close to a targeted galaxy, and visible then they are observed and logged.

Since I moved over into Pisces on the fly in this case, I relied solely on my annotations in Uranometria. I underline each galaxy as I observe it, so I know by looking at the charts what I have seen already. However, I did not do that from the beginning, so I have to periodically pick a constellation, then go through my log and underline observed objects on the charts applicable to that constellation in preparation for an observing session.

This is likely a haphazard manner in which to operate, but it works for me since I utilize physical charts. :icon-smile:
That makes sense. My approach is similar. Except instead of printed atlas I use SkySafari app to navigate. I generate list of NGC/IC galaxies down to mag 14. Like you, once I am on target any galaxy within the field with reasonable mag is fair game.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Delos, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3122 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2196, S110: 77). Doubles: 2461, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 261
helicon Online United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 597

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Great report Alan and nice description of your evening activities at the dark sky house before your session. You certainly made hay in Pegasus and Pisces. Congratulations on nailing down today's VROD (10-22-2023)!
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
messier 111 Online Canada

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

fine read like always , congrat on the well deserve vrod , thx .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

helicon wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 1:25 pm Great report Alan and nice description of your evening activities at the dark sky house before your session. You certainly made hay in Pegasus and Pisces. Congratulations on nailing down today's VROD (10-22-2023)!

Thank you Michael. Appreciate the kind comments and VROD.

messier 111 wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 1:44 pm fine read like always , congrat on the well deserve vrod , thx .

Thank you Jean-Yves, always happy to have you read my reports.
Alan

Unitron48 United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Great reporting, Alan! Congrats on the VROD. By now I'm certain your charts are full of annotations!!! Post a pic sometime...

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Unitron48 wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 2:56 pm Great reporting, Alan! Congrats on the VROD. By now I'm certain your charts are full of annotations!!! Post a pic sometime...

Dave

Thank you Dave. Well how many annotations there are depends on the specific constellation and chart of course. I will see if I can find a particularly marked up one and post one for you! :icon-smile:
Alan

OzEclipse Online Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

You are irrepressible Alan! Congratulations on another superb report and VROD
Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)
StarBru United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

Post by StarBru »

Great report and an impressive list of galaxies seen. Congratulations on the VROD!
Bruce

Refractors: Meade AR-5 127mm f/9.3, Meade ST-80 f/5 and Meade 60mm f/12, Jason 60mm f/15 #313, Jason 60mm f/12 #306 S7, Bushnell Sky Chief III 60mm f/15.
Reflectors/Catadioptrics: Meade 10" F/4 Schmidt-Newtonian, Galileo 120mm f/8.3 Newtonian, Meade 2045D 4" f/10 SCT, Meade ETX-90EC f/13.8 & Sarblue 60mm f/12.5 Maksutov-Cassegrains.
Mounts: Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro & Meade LXD55 Equatorial mounts, ES Twilight II and Meade 2102 ALT/AZ mounts, a modified 10" SkyQuest Dobsonian mount, various 60mm EQ mounts.
Misc: Celestron 20x80mm binoculars, Revolution II Imager/accessories, & lots of optical accessories/eyepieces.
Projects: 8" f/2.9 and 65mm f/10 reflectors, Dobson-style binocular mirror mount.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

OzEclipse wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:47 pm You are irrepressible Alan! Congratulations on another superb report and VROD
Joe

Thank you Joe. I enjoy what I do, which I guess is a good thing!

StarBru wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:14 pm Great report and an impressive list of galaxies seen. Congratulations on the VROD!

Thank you Bruce. Galaxies are certainly my meat and potatoes. :icon-smile:
Alan

John Baars Online Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Baars »

Congratulations on the VROD!
You went as deep as 14.6, amazing!
As always a very nice report!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

John Baars wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:22 am Congratulations on the VROD!
You went as deep as 14.6, amazing!
As always a very nice report!

Thank you John, much appreciated.
Alan