Observing Report for 03 October 2023 - short but sweet

Let's see your reports!
kt4hx Online United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Observing Report for 03 October 2023 - short but sweet

Post by kt4hx »

Mary and I took a road trip back to Indiana (our home state) for about a week to visit family and attend a wedding. We stayed with her sister, and had a great time. But it was time to head back home on Tuesday (03 Oct), so we hit the road back to Virginia that morning. Since the dark site house is sort of on the way back home (with a little detour), we decided to stop off there to rest overnight before finishing the trip home on Wednesday morning. In anticipation of possibly clear skies on Tuesday evening, I had packed my eyepiece case and a few other accessories in the car before we started back to Indiana. Though the moon was to rise just past 2130 hours, I was hopeful I could get in a little over an hour of galaxy hunting. Upon our arrival at the house, about 1730 hours, I checked the forecast and it seemed to indicate I might get my chance. Admittedly I was very tired from the long drive, this would be my first time to use the 17.5 inch since my surgery, so I was excited about that aspect of it as well!

Around 1900 hours I moved the scope and table out, and then set up my observing position before going back inside to rest a little. I headed out to let my eyes adapt around 2000 hours, and got started with my galaxy hunt at about 2015, just before astronomical darkness had set in. I worked in Pegasus for this session, in the area west of the Great Square asterism. Since the moon would be coming up hot on Pegasus’ heels, I wanted to give myself a little distance from its rising glow. Quite honestly my body and mind were quite tired from the road trip that day, but I was so anxious to return to my normal observing activities that I figured I could handle a little over an hour of galaxy hunting just to gain that sense of being normal again! :icon-smile:

So off I went into the night in pursuit of galaxies – my favorites. The air was cooling, but not cold. There was definitely some humidity in the air and I had my dew heaters on the finders (both unity and optical). The Milky Way, while very much present in the sky, was not quite as detailed and sharply defined as I have seen it. Nonetheless, seeing was pretty good, and I felt transparency was more than adequate for successful galaxy hunting. I turned the scope in the direction of Lambda Pegasi and began my abbreviated observing session. Come along, won’t you?

(Equipment used)

17.5 inch f/4.5 dobsonian
Ethos 13mm (152x, 0.7° TFOV, 2.9mm exit pupil)
XW 10mm (199x, 0.4° TFOV, 2.2mm exit pupil)
XW 7mm (283x, 0.2° TFOV, 1.6mm exit pupil)

NGC 7332 (Pegasus, lenticular galaxy, mag=11.1, size=4.1’x1.1’, SBr=12.5):
I started my evening by aiming the scope at mag 3.9 Lambda Pegasi and star hopping west about 2° to pick up mag 7.0 HD 214398. Just south of this star I found my first object. I had already observed this lenticular just over 10 years ago using my Z10 dob from our then Bortle 5 backyard. This evening in the larger scope under darker skies it was a bright and slightly small oval disk that was very obvious at 152x. Its interior exhibited a small inner lens of brightness within its overall halo, with a stellar core pinned to its center. The main reason for revisiting this object is to look for a second galaxy in the same field that I did not pick up so many years ago.

NGC 7339 (Pegasus, barred spiral galaxy, mag=12.2, size=2.8’x0.7’, SBr=12.7):
About 6.5’ east of NGC 7332 I found this galaxy in the same field of view. Also easily seen at 152x, it presented a slightly bright, small oval envelope with an intermittent stellar core discerned in its center. It along with NGC 7332 made for a nice visual pairing of galaxies. (New)

NGC 7316 (Pegasus, spiral galaxy, mag=13.0, size=1.1’x0.9’, SBr=12.7):
This spiral was my next target, and it was easily picked up using 152x. It presented a small and dim thick oval glow. The glare from the mag 6.6 star HD 214128 just over 3’ to the southwest definitely impacted the view of the galaxy. Viewing with 199x this object was more apparent, though still bothered by the star. It now displayed an intermittent stellar core. (New)

NGC 7321 (Pegasus, barred spiral galaxy, mag=12.9, size=1.6’x1.1’, SBr=13.2):
Up next was this barred spiral which I located a little over 1° NNE of the previous object, It lay about halfway between and just south of a line between two wide pairs of field stars - mags 8.7 and 10.8 for the eastern pair, and mags 8.7 and 10.9 for the western pair. At 152x the galaxy was a small and subtly bright homogeneous oval disk. The view in combination with the nearby stars was a curious contrast that caught the eye. Using 199x the galaxy remained a smoothly illuminated little oval. (New)

NGC 7323 (Pegasus, spiral galaxy, mag=12.9, size=1.4’x1.1’, SBr=13.1):
I now located a pair of galaxies. The brightest was this small thick oval disk that was just slightly bright to the eye, and revealed a smoothly illuminated envelope at 152x. I took a look with 199x, and it was more apparent, but remained homogeneous in appearance. (New)

NGC 7324 (Pegasus, lenticular galaxy, mag=13.9, size=1.0’x0.8’, SBr=13.4):
The second object in this close pair of galaxies was this lenticular. At 152x I found it a fairly dim and small thick oval disk immediately east of NGC 7323. There was an 11th mag star just off its eastern edge. Also viewed at 199x, while more apparent, it remained fairly dim and evenly illuminated across its disk. (New)

NGC 7290 (Pegasus, spiral galaxy, mag=13.3, size=1.6’x1.1’, SBr=13.5):
This spiral was next up on my list. Easily found using 152x, it presented a small oval disk that was subtly bright to the eye and smoothly diffuse. More apparent at 199x, its smooth oval was obvious within the field. (New)

NGC 7375 (Pegasus, lenticular galaxy, mag=13.7, size=0.8’x0.6’, SBr=12.6):
With the 13mm (152x) in the focuser, I swept up this lenticular galaxy almost 4’ southeast of a wide pair of field stars (10th and 11th mag). It revealed a small and fairly dim thick oval disk with an intermittent stellar core at its center. Then at 199x the galaxy was more obvious in the field and its stellar core was now a steady diamond set within. (New)

NGC 7241 (Pegasus, barred spiral galaxy, mag=12.6, size=3.4’x1.1’, SBr=13.8):
By the time I got to the field for this galaxy, the clock had slipped past 2130 hours and the sky was noticeably brightening. The moon, while not visible yet, was lurking below the ridgeline to the northeast. Viewing the field with 152x I was catching a suspicion of a small and dim dusty glow. Then at 199x I confirmed its presence as a homogeneous oval disk. I also dropped in the 7mm (283x) and while it remained dim and homogeneous it was clearly seen. (New)

UGC 11964 (Pegasus, spiral galaxy, mag=14.3, size=1.9’x0.2’, SBr=13.0):
This elusive little dust bunny about 5’ west of NGC 7241 was really challenging. The combination of my fatigue and the brightening sky rendered it undetected at 152x and 199x. Using 283x I was catching hints of its presence, but it was not held steadily. When I did pick up its presence, it was nothing more than a very dim and very small elongated bit of diffuse light. Under darker conditions (no moon), I wouldn’t expect it to be so challenging. (New)

NGC 7224 (Pegasus, elliptical galaxy, mag=13.2, size=1.6’x1.0’, SBr=13.4):
This would be my final object of this short outing. Surprisingly it was more easily discerned than was NGC 7241, which was more likely a factor of its higher surface brightness. But at 152x, it presented as a small and dim oval disk that was smoothly illuminated across its envelope. Then at 199x it was more apparent, and revealed an intermittent stellar core at its center. (New)

That was it for me this night. After the long road trip heading back from Indiana, I was quite exhausted. So to be perfectly honest this was one time I didn’t mind the moon interfering with my observing. Being out a little less than 1.5 hours was more than enough for my mind and body. I was ready for some rest and relaxation before we continued on home the next morning. So I moved the gear back into the garage and headed inside for a snack, a nice shower then welcome sleep. While not long the evening was a successful galaxy hunt, and confirmed I was once again capable of handling the big scope, signaling my return to full observing capability. Thanks for reading along and I hope to be able to get back out there again real soon. Keep looking up folks, because that is where the good stuff is!
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Articles: 0

Re: Observing Report for 03 October 2023 - short but sweet

Post by Lady Fraktor »

A fine report Alan and new sightings as well!
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1000101)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
Juno16 United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Very nice Alan!

I know that it felt great to get out and hunt a few galaxies with the 17.5.

Glad that you felt good and it sounds like you are back in service!

Thanks for the fine morning read. I absolutely love reay your descriptions!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
messier 111 Canada

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

I'm happy to see that you're feeling better and that you spent time with your family. This was a nice outing under the galaxies, thx
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
jrkirkham United States of America

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by jrkirkham »

It looks like you added a great accent to your trip. How far is your dark site from your home?
Rob
Telescopes: 50mm refractor, ED80 triplet, 90mm makcass, 10" dob, 8"SCT, 11"SCT
Mounts: Celestron CGX, Orion Sirius + several camera tripods
Cameras: Canon 6D, Canon 80D, ZWO-ASI120MC
Binoculars: 10x50, 12x60, 15x70, 25-125x80
Observatory: SkyShed POD XL3 + 8x12 warm room
AL Projects Completed: Lunar #645, Outreach #0280, Universe Sampler #93-T, Binocular Messier #871, Messier #2521, Messier Honorary #2521, Constellation Hunter Northern Skies #112, Planetary Transit Venus #1, Galileo #26, Outreach Stellar 0280, Meteor Regular #157, Solar System Telescopic #209-I, Observer Award #1
AL Projects Currently in Process: Double Stars, Comet, Lunar Evolution

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 10:14 am A fine report Alan and new sightings as well!

Thank you Gabrielle. It was tiring but fulfilling! :icon-smile:

Juno16 wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 10:41 am Very nice Alan!

I know that it felt great to get out and hunt a few galaxies with the 17.5.

Glad that you felt good and it sounds like you are back in service!

Thanks for the fine morning read. I absolutely love reay your descriptions!

Thank you Jim. Glad to be part of your morning reading, and it is certainly good to be in full service mode. :icon-smile:

messier 111 wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 12:26 pm I'm happy to see that you're feeling better and that you spent time with your family. This was a nice outing under the galaxies, thx

Thank you Jean-Yves. It was a good trip and a little bit of desert at the end as well! :icon-smile:

jrkirkham wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 2:06 pm It looks like you added a great accent to your trip. How far is your dark site from your home?

Thank you Rob. Yes, that was kind of like the cherry on top of a sundae, a nice finish. Our other house is approximately 155 to 165 miles west of our residence, depending upon which route you take. It is the least populated county in the state that is rural with no industry. The largest town only has a population of around 120 and there is no significant light sources, which the locals prefer. Getting there is a combination of two-lane and interstate travel, but the last part (50 miles or so) is the most challenging as you go up and down over ridge lines and through valleys, with twisting two-lane road traveling through the mountains. The house is in a valley between two ridge lines just south of the town I mentioned at an elevation of about 2,700 feet. The summer nights are never hot and humid like they are at home (only 60 ft elevation nearer the coast). There are mosquitoes, but I've never been bitten there. It provides a nice, quiet respite for the deep sky observer. :icon-smile:
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Bigzmey Online United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Glad to see you back on the horse, Alan! Sometimes, less is more and a short session with a natural stop sounds like a nice way to transition back to your usual observing mode. Do you plan more observing this new Moon?
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Delos, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3122 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2196, S110: 77). Doubles: 2461, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 261
helicon Online United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 597

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Great report Alan and certainly a nice VROD award recipient. I'm very gratified you could get out there, due to your recovery, and handling a 17.5" is no mean feat. 2700 feet is a nice elevation and gets you a bit away from the humidity I would imagine. Pegasus was a worthy companion and hunting ground for galaxies...
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Bigzmey wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 3:19 pm Glad to see you back on the horse, Alan! Sometimes, less is more and a short session with a natural stop sounds like a nice way to transition back to your usual observing mode. Do you plan more observing this new Moon?

Thank you Andrey. I honestly don't think I could have handled anything more, so yeah, the moon did me a favor! :icon-smile:

Presently, conditions are not looking overly optimistic. But I know that changes day to day, so bears watching. We also have some other family coming up in a couple of weeks for a few days. So it all things align properly, I would hope to get in some more observing this cycle. We shall see.
Alan

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

helicon wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 3:19 pm Great report Alan and certainly a nice VROD award recipient. I'm very gratified you could get out there, due to your recovery, and handling a 17.5" is no mean feat. 2700 feet is a nice elevation and gets you a bit away from the humidity I would imagine. Pegasus was a worthy companion and hunting ground for galaxies...

Thank you Michael, your comments and the VROD are most appreciated. The elevation is nice. It keeps the summer nights more moderate and I often do not need to run dew prevention. However come autumn, the humidity does ramp up and I've had to utilize dew straps this time and the previous one with the 10 inch. The scope gets wet, as does all things exposed. When I woke up about 0630 the next morning, the valley had a fair amount of fog though I did not see any for the brief period I was out. Generally summer and winter are pretty good, but spring and fall are problematic on a routine basis. :icon-smile:
Alan

Bigzmey Online United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

kt4hx wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 3:24 pm
Bigzmey wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 3:19 pm Glad to see you back on the horse, Alan! Sometimes, less is more and a short session with a natural stop sounds like a nice way to transition back to your usual observing mode. Do you plan more observing this new Moon?

Thank you Andrey. I honestly don't think I could have handled anything more, so yeah, the moon did me a favor! :icon-smile:

Presently, conditions are not looking overly optimistic. But I know that changes day to day, so bears watching. We also have some other family coming up in a couple of weeks for a few days. So it all things align properly, I would hope to get in some more observing this cycle. We shall see.
Your dark house is almost triple distance away compared to my dark site (~60 miles) so it more effort to get there and probably less spontaneous trips. On the other hand you don't need to pack your car for camping and set/take down the camp which saves a few hours.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Delos, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3122 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2196, S110: 77). Doubles: 2461, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 261

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Bigzmey wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 5:53 pm
kt4hx wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 3:24 pm

Your dark house is almost triple distance away compared to my dark site (~60 miles) so it more effort to get there and probably less spontaneous trips. On the other hand you don't need to pack your car for camping and set take down the camp the camp which saves a few hours.
Yeah, that is the advantage for us. We spend the night there, but we have a ready made place for that, complete with heating/air conditioning, stove, refrigerator, microwave, beds, bathrooms, etc.! :lol: It does make spending multiple nights, when we can, a lot easier.
Alan

Ylem Online United States of America

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

What a wonderful outing Alan, and congratulations on the well deserved VROD!
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

John Baars Online Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Baars »

It is great to have you back under the stars with your 17.5 inch telescope. A nice report and You added some new ones to your list, all in all a nice report, thanks!
I liked your description of the route to your observing site too. Sounds like an almost perfect spot! Let me quess...Bortle 3?
And of course congratulations on the VROD!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
Unitron48 United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Well done, Alan! We've missed your outstanding reports! Congrats on your VROD!!

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Ylem wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:20 pm What a wonderful outing Alan, and congratulations on the well deserved VROD!

Thank you Jeff. It certainly was good to get back out in normal mode, even if for only a short time. It was quite cathartic for me.

John Baars wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 10:47 am It is great to have you back under the stars with your 17.5 inch telescope. A nice report and You added some new ones to your list, all in all a nice report, thanks!
I liked your description of the route to your observing site too. Sounds like an almost perfect spot! Let me quess...Bortle 3?
And of course congratulations on the VROD!

Thank you John, and it felt really good to get back to that sense of normalcy. Yes, on average it is a Bortle 3. I have seen it as good as Bortle 2, but typically about a B3. Whereas at home, we used to be a solid B5, but over the past few years that has deteriorated to become a solid B6. With all the building going on around here, I could see some further deterioration down the road. That is a shame really, but nothing that I did not expect over time.
Alan

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Unitron48 wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 11:52 am Well done, Alan! We've missed your outstanding reports! Congrats on your VROD!!

Dave

Thank you Dave. While it was simple and short, the resulting emotional high was the true prize this time around. To regain that feeling of things as they were is a big plus, and I look forward to many more years of doing what I love to do - hunt galaxies!
Alan