EQ6R-Pro frustrating First Light

Let's see your reports!
StarBru United States of America
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

EQ6R-Pro frustrating First Light

Post by StarBru »

Date: September 23, 2023
Time: 1530, Temperature is 97° F (36° C)
According to the Nightshift app, tonight will be an excellent night for stargazing. I was looking forward to finally trying out the EQ6-R Pro, the new WiFi dongle, the SynScan Pro app on my phone, and all the eyepieces I haven't looked through yet!

Setting up the mount in my backyard, the tripod legs won't rest on the flat stone blocks I had set up for my Meade LXD tripod which has a North-facing tripod leg, and the Skywatcher does not. I decided to use the stoned-brick patio deck for now.

Using a digital compass for true North, I set up the tripod and then leveled it, attached the mount and weights, and then my Meade 10" Schmidt Newtonian. After balancing the tube, I attempted to align the 50mm GSO finder scope, but I couldn't get a target directly in the crosshairs. I decided I would try again later. I left the scope and mount in the home position to await polar alignment after dark.
IMG_20230923_171429002_HDR.jpg

2030: Temperature is 92° F (33.3°C)
I tried several times to see Polaris in my polar scope but the red light was too bright. I need to find a way to turn that brightness down! I wasn't sure how to use the polar scope so I centered Polaris in the crosshairs. After several failed alignment attempts I somehow accidentally did a 1-Star Alignment. The Moon was the first target and was about 10 degrees off. Deleted the alignment and tried a Brightest 2-Star alignment. It wanted me to manually place Arcturus in the eyepiece. Thinking I did something wrong, I tried it again, thinking it should go to the star automatically. It didn't. Decided to try the 2-Star alignment and again they were about 10 degrees off, but I finally succeeded. The finder scope still wasn't aligned to the scope, so I tried aligning it to the moon, but no matter how I tried adjusting the screws, I could not get the Moon in the crosshairs.

2130: Temperature is 87° F (30.5° C)
The moon looked very sharp and clear at 40x and 56x but starting to notice passing waves of what I thought to be atmospheric disturbance.

2230: Temperature is 85° F (29.4°C)
Calling it a night after many more frustrations between the GoTo and the finder scope in trying to acquire Saturn and Jupiter, and getting horrible distorted images, then realizing that I was experiencing a textbook case of tube currents the past hour. Also, I have new rings that were just a little too large for the tube, so I glued some felt strips onto the rings. The new material is making the tube not rotate smoothly and while trying to rotate the tube within its Wilson Rings, I actually moved the mount on the RA and Declination axis! I took the scope, eyepieces, and accessories inside and covered up the mount and tripod with a TeleGizmos tripod cover, (not the 365 version). There's no forecast of rain all week, but I really need to get a 365 cover until I can get my observatory.
IMG_20230924_134438260_HDR.jpg

What I should have done differently:
1. Align the finder scope to the telescope in the daytime.
2. Learn the position of where Polaris should be in the polar scope.
3. Don't mount the telescope until just before dusk to keep from getting too much of a temperature change.
4. Keep the telescope and mount off the stone-bricked patio. (Even though the yard is covered with small stones called Desert Landscaping here in Arizona.)
5. Fix the rings so the tube rotates smoothly.
6. Read the instruction manuals.

I will be prepared next time. I set myself up for frustration by not being diligent enough to do it right.

On the plus side, the WiFi dongle, the SynScan Pro app, and the battery power supply worked great! The mount did it's job, but I did not.
Bruce

Refractors: Meade AR-5 127mm f/9.3, Meade ST-80 f/5 and Meade 60mm f/12, Jason 60mm f/15 #313, Jason 60mm f/12 #306 S7, Bushnell Sky Chief III 60mm f/15.
Reflectors/Catadioptrics: Meade 10" F/4 Schmidt-Newtonian, Galileo 120mm f/8.3 Newtonian, Meade 2045D 4" f/10 SCT, Meade ETX-90EC f/13.8 & Sarblue 60mm f/12.5 Maksutov-Cassegrains.
Mounts: Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro & Meade LXD55 Equatorial mounts, ES Twilight II and Meade 2102 ALT/AZ mounts, a modified 10" SkyQuest Dobsonian mount, various 60mm EQ mounts.
Misc: Celestron 20x80mm binoculars, Revolution II Imager/accessories, & lots of optical accessories/eyepieces.
Projects: 8" f/2.9 and 65mm f/10 reflectors, Dobson-style binocular mirror mount.
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Re: EQ6R-Pro frustrating First Light

Post by John Baars »

Gladly you can look at the bright side too: you've learned how to be prepared next time!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
messier 111 Canada

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

one thing I can tell you, I read carefully what you experienced, because mine is on its way for me.
in your miss fortune you surely helped me.
thx.
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:

TSS Awards Badges

Post by StarBru »

messier 111 wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:04 pm one thing I can tell you, I read carefully what you experienced, because mine is on its way for me.
in your miss fortune you surely helped me.
thx.
Yesterday, I read the instruction manual for the mount regarding the position of Polaris in the polar scope. The SynScan Pro app will automatically download your coordinates, time, and the info needed for position of Polaris in the polar scope using your phone and the WiFi. You just read the info and then position Polaris in the polar scope according to that info! The worst part is the position needed to look through the polar scope. The rest is easy.

I'm definitely making a RA adapter for my Olympus Varimagni to use on the polar scope. It can magnify the image of the polar reticle up to 2.5x and it works like a diagonal. You can also buy similar ones on Amazon complete already adapted. I think they start out about $67 USD.
Bruce

Refractors: Meade AR-5 127mm f/9.3, Meade ST-80 f/5 and Meade 60mm f/12, Jason 60mm f/15 #313, Jason 60mm f/12 #306 S7, Bushnell Sky Chief III 60mm f/15.
Reflectors/Catadioptrics: Meade 10" F/4 Schmidt-Newtonian, Galileo 120mm f/8.3 Newtonian, Meade 2045D 4" f/10 SCT, Meade ETX-90EC f/13.8 & Sarblue 60mm f/12.5 Maksutov-Cassegrains.
Mounts: Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro & Meade LXD55 Equatorial mounts, ES Twilight II and Meade 2102 ALT/AZ mounts, a modified 10" SkyQuest Dobsonian mount, various 60mm EQ mounts.
Misc: Celestron 20x80mm binoculars, Revolution II Imager/accessories, & lots of optical accessories/eyepieces.
Projects: 8" f/2.9 and 65mm f/10 reflectors, Dobson-style binocular mirror mount.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by StarBru »

John Baars wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:45 pm Gladly you can look at the bright side too: you've learned how to be prepared next time!
:lol: I observed last night with my 5" refractor on the same mount. I made sure I didn't make the same mistakes and was actually quite successful. I still need to write the report!
Bruce

Bigzmey Online United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

From my experience there is always a break-in period for goto mounts to sort out bugs and other issues. Looks like you are making good progress.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Delos, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3122 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2196, S110: 77). Doubles: 2461, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 261
kt4hx Online United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Ah yes, the trials and tribulations of new equipment! Seems you are getting there though and that is the key thing. On the brightness of the reticle in the polar scope, one can apply red nail polish to the LED. Once you have the brightness turned down all the way, you then just have to play with how many coats of nail polish to apply to reduce the glare sufficiently enough. The vast majority of illuminated finders are too bright even on low settings, and impact the observer's dark adaptation more than they realize. There is such a thing as too much red light as well. Look forward to your observing report Bruce.

P.S. I admit that I've never used a go-to mount. So I would not be able to offer much advice other than to read the manual. :icon-smile:
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
helicon Online United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 597

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Nice start with the new gear as there almost always are some snafus.

I'm with Alan about GOTO, I've never used it. To me it seems some sort of Alchemy that a scope can slew right to objects without star hopping. I wonder what William Herschel would have said about it. Heh.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
kt4hx Online United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

helicon wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:03 pm Nice start with the new gear as there almost always are some snafus.

I'm with Alan about GOTO, I've never used it. To me it seems some sort of Alchemy that a scope can slew right to objects without star hopping. I wonder what William Herschel would have said about it. Heh.

I would venture to say that Herschel would be all for it over the drift method he employed. Then again, he was in discovery mode, whereas we are not, so the drift method seems logical though time consuming. So aside from the natural progression of knowledge and equipment over the centuries, we also reap the benefits of his (and others) hard work in visually discovering the contents of the NGC/IC. I think I can say for certain that he would have really loved the quality of our optics back then though! :icon-smile:
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
JayTee United States of America
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

helicon wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:03 pm I wonder what William Herschel would have said about it. Heh.
Thank God.

Obviously, I'm an advocate. My EQ6R slews perfectly to the object that is selected.
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6R, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100 ∞ AP Gear: ZWO EAF and mini EFW and the Optolong L-eXteme filter
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

jrkirkham United States of America

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by jrkirkham »

Oops, I read your posts in backward order. All's well that ends well. It always takes me forever to get comfortable with a new mount.
Rob
Telescopes: 50mm refractor, ED80 triplet, 90mm makcass, 10" dob, 8"SCT, 11"SCT
Mounts: Celestron CGX, Orion Sirius + several camera tripods
Cameras: Canon 6D, Canon 80D, ZWO-ASI120MC
Binoculars: 10x50, 12x60, 15x70, 25-125x80
Observatory: SkyShed POD XL3 + 8x12 warm room
AL Projects Completed: Lunar #645, Outreach #0280, Universe Sampler #93-T, Binocular Messier #871, Messier #2521, Messier Honorary #2521, Constellation Hunter Northern Skies #112, Planetary Transit Venus #1, Galileo #26, Outreach Stellar 0280, Meteor Regular #157, Solar System Telescopic #209-I, Observer Award #1
AL Projects Currently in Process: Double Stars, Comet, Lunar Evolution