hi! Beginner with questions here

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
gregl
Articles: 0

Re: hi! Beginner with questions here

Post by gregl »

AstroBee wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 3:40 am
gregl wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 1:58 am Also, I find my best alignment is when I use the two star align with Polaris and something about 45 degrees up in the east. And I've also had some frustrations when I've forgotten to enter the correct time and date, and location in the handset. (Duh!)
I have heard that Polaris is the worst star to use as an alignment star. Highly not recommended. If you are getting good results using Polaris and another star you are basically doing a 1-star alignment.

This is curious and so as to not hijack this thread I'll start another. I'm curious as to the reason, so if you can help me with this question, please visit that thread here: https://theskysearchers.com/viewtopic.php?t=31842. THANKS!
majorclanger Great Britain

Post by majorclanger »

Going to be blunt now, and if that results in the post being deleted or me being thrown from the site, no regrets.
Rather than making a newcomer to the forum welcome, it feels like you're heaping insult onto injury (is that an expression where you're from?) by ignoring the basic question I asked about installing the firmware and are instead criticising what I may or may not do with my own money, for reasons I've not shared. I may be wheelchair bound within a year or two, so heavy telescopes aren't a good long term investment unless I'm able to control them remotely. Also I have a younger relative with physical issues who wants to observe with me but has to remain indoors whilst undergoing chemo. So yes, an autoalign/guide and camera are things which would greatly improve our ability to use the telescope.
The repeated mantras of learn to align the scope and read the manual are very condescending and make a rather massive assumption that I have not been doing that. I read the documentation which came with the telescope, both the glossy quickstart and the full length booklet, several times since I got the telescope. As I said, I've been happily observing by manually targetting objects, something I learned to do many, many years ago during my astrophysics degree.

There are other forums where people have said they've never gotten the three star alignment to work but bimble on quite happily with the two star process; something which has worked more reliably for me over the last few nights when the cloud cover's cleared.
With regards to the driver, regardless of whichever version I use, no serial port is being created. I think I may know what the issue may be but it's going to take a few hours over the weekend to test.

So for the next newcomer to your site, try being kinder and more helpful rather than treating them like a wayward child.
AstroBee United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

It's obvious you are very frustrated at this point because your questions haven't been answered to your satisfaction. But please look at this from our (the entire forum) point of view. We are working on limited and incomplete information. It wasn't until post #17 that you mentioned you had a physical limitation and not until post #22 that you mentioned trying to get an image indoors for someone who is homebound.

Your comment about the Auto Guider is what lead me to say "Whoa Nelly" because I didn't want you to spend money on something I knew would not work on an AltAz mount.

I realize that still doesn't negate your desire to update the firmware but the reason you haven't got direct answers to the problem may be because nobody knows the answer to the problem considering the troubleshooting you have already done. It's going to require someone with the exact same scope and firmware issue to read the post and say, hey, this is what I did to solve this problem. Which may not happen ever on this group.
I am curious though, was the telescope purchased new or used? What version software/firmware are you currently running?

As for your last statement about trying to be kinder and more helpful, I feel like you are way outta line with that comment. Everybody who has replied to this post has been nothing but kind and has tried to or at least thought they were being helpful in their comments. I'm just going to chalk that bit up to your frustration over the firmware situation. We try really hard around here to make sure every newcomer is welcome.
Greg M.~ "Ad Astra per Aspera"
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Mounts: Astro-Physics Mach One, iOptron CEM70EC Mount, iOptron ZEQ25 Mount.
Cameras: ZWO ASI2600mm Pro, ZWO 2600MC Pro, ZWO ASI1600mm
Filters: 36mm Chroma LRGB & 3nm Ha, OIII, SII, L-Pro, L-eXtreme
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
Software: N.I.N.A., SharpCapPro, PixInsight, PhotoShop CC, Phd2, Stellarium
https://www.nevadadesertskies.com
SkyHiker United States of America

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by SkyHiker »

majorclanger wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:18 am Going to be blunt now, and if that results in the post being deleted or me being thrown from the site, no regrets.
Rather than making a newcomer to the forum welcome, it feels like you're heaping insult onto injury (is that an expression where you're from?) by ignoring the basic question I asked about installing the firmware and are instead criticising what I may or may not do with my own money, for reasons I've not shared.

So for the next newcomer to your site, try being kinder and more helpful rather than treating them like a wayward child.
Did you miss my reply? It was to the point.

I totally agree with your point though, the amount of off-topic response was embarrassing and condescending.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Bigzmey Online United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

SkyHiker wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:22 pm I totally agree with your point though, the amount of off-topic response was embarrassing and condescending.
Not really. People are honestly trying to help based on the info provided. It is really hard to judge the level of experience based on the first post, so to help with troubleshooting people start with basic stuff. Get the scope to complete alignment with the handset and confirm that it can perform goto with handset was solid advice as far as troubleshooting goes.

I still feel that the scope is wrong for the job. It is too heavy for people with physical limitations and was not specifically designed for remote control. I expect it to be buggy for anything beyond handset operation.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Delos, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3122 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2196, S110: 77). Doubles: 2461, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 261
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1051

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

TSS EAA Messier awards

Post by Gordon »

It’s very difficult to remotely determine a problem. I’m truly sorry you feel we have failed you in our responses. Hopefully you will be able to resolve the problem.

Topic closed.
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

Return to “Beginners forum”