TSS Photo of the Day

New Image: A few more from last night

Post by AstroBee »

05/29/2023
Lunar Hi-Res Imaging
Celestron EdgeHD 14", ZWO 1600mm, 3910mm FL
Full Sensor Capture
Best 500 of 2000 frames stacked in AutoStakkert! 3, ImPPG, Photoshop

The standout crater at the center is Tycho which is approximately 54 miles in diameter. Tycho is one of only a handful of craters that really stands out during a full moon. Part of that is because of the ejecta rays that spread out in all directions from the crater impact. The rays or ejected material spread out over 1000 miles on the surface of the moon and are still easily visible because Tycho is a relatively young crater, estimated to be only 100 million years old.
In the upper darker Mare region of this image you can also make out Rupes Recta, also known as the Straight Wall. It is a cliff that is approximately 69 miles long and when the sunlight hits it on an evening like this night it appears as a giant dark scratch on the surface of the moon.

This is probably my favorite region of the moon to image. Looking through my catalog of Lunar images, that is a fact.
On the left, just coming out of the terminator, the large "C" shaped partial crater is Sinus Iridum. It is approximately 240 miles in diameter.
making your way to the right in the Mare is the little straight line of mountains called Montes Recti. It is 12 miles wide and 56 miles long.
Making your way a bit further to the right in the image is what I consider to be the mot peculiar crater on the moon. Plato, the large, dark crater surrounded by rough, hilly mountains, is approximately 63 miles in diameter. It stands out from the other craters of its size because it doesn't contain an obvious central peak. In fact, in my resolution, it appears to be completely bare in the middle though higher-resolution images do show several smaller craters pockmarking the inside.

Clavius, a larger crater approximately 140 miles in diameter is known for being home to several large craters in its basin and along its rim. Crater Rutherfurd along the upper rim in this orientation is 34 miles in diameter and crater Porter along the lower rim is 32 miles in diameter.
During this phase of the moon, Calvius is a real prominent feature on the moon.

TeleVue PowerMate, 9775mm FL !!!
2000x2000 ROI
Best 500 of 2000 frames stacked in AutoStakkert! 3, ImPPG, Photoshop
In this close-up image, you can see Rupes Recta, also known as the Straight Wall. It is a cliff that is approximately 69 miles long and when the sunlight hits it on an evening like this night it appears as a giant dark scratch on the surface of the moon.
Greg M.~ "Ad Astra per Aspera"
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Mounts: Astro-Physics Mach One, iOptron CEM70EC Mount, iOptron ZEQ25 Mount.
Cameras: ZWO ASI2600mm Pro, ZWO 2600MC Pro, ZWO ASI1600mm
Filters: 36mm Chroma LRGB & 3nm Ha, OIII, SII, L-Pro, L-eXtreme
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
Software: N.I.N.A., SharpCapPro, PixInsight, PhotoShop CC, Phd2, Stellarium
https://www.nevadadesertskies.com
Ylem Online United States of America
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: New Image: A few more from last night

Post by Ylem »

Marvelous Greg!
Both the images and your navigation.

I love our Moon!
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

messier 111 Canada

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

fine take , thx .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
SparWeb Canada

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SparWeb »

I like them all, but I LOVE the shot of the Great Wall!
Steven Fahey
51.248N, 113.53W, 995m ASL
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/IALBERTA147
Canon 6D (unmodified) + Lunt 4" (102mm) achromat refractor (7.1 focal ratio) + Celestron AVX mount