Coarse polar alignment without polar alignment scope?

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
Brian
Articles: 0

Coarse polar alignment without polar alignment scope?

Post by Brian »

My AVX mount is very hard to guide when there is anything but nearly perfect polar alignment so my alignment ritual takes about an hour. It consists of the following high level steps (I’ll get to the point soon):

1) Lock clutches so that the OTA is roughly parallel with thr RA axis.
2) Point OTA at polaris by turning azimuth and alt. knobs.
3) Do a two star align with no calibration stars.
4) Use the all star align feature to roughly correct the error of pointing directly at polaris and whatever misalignment there was between the RA axis and the OTA.
5) Drift align with PHD2.
6) Redo star alignment, this time with calibration stars since the drift align throws off the first alignment.
7) Begin stargazing!

My new idea is that this: as a last step before cleaning up, point the polar aligned setup at polaris. In doing this I precisely save the relative position of polaris relative to the polar axis so that next time I set up, I can skip steps (3) and (4). Thoughts? Any suggestions for speeding up the procedure?
JayTee United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Coarse polar alignment without polar alignment scope?

Post by JayTee »

Since you are using a computer to use PHD2, you might as well download AstroTortilla or Plate Solve 2 (via Astrophotography Tool). You use these programs to find the exact center of an image you have those programs look at. Once they have determined the exact coords for the center, you can then sync your mount to those coords. No 2 star or calibration stars needed for a goto alignment. It speeds things up noticeably!

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6R, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100 ∞ AP Gear: ZWO EAF and mini EFW and the Optolong L-eXteme filter
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Altocumulus Scotland

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Altocumulus »

Not that I've used the feature, but there is Polar Align in Sharpcap 3...
Just call me Geoff....

I do what I do because I can, and because I want to.
It doesn't mean I know what I'm doing :mrgreen:
bobharmony

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

I have a Celestron ASGT, which is the predecessor to the AVX, and I have my process down to 20-30 minutes, and it is done during twilight, so I am not wasting any valuable imaging time:

1) set up the mount pointing roughtly North (since I have done this before, I have marks on the surface where the tripod legs should be).
2) unlock the clutches and line up the home marks on the RA and DEC axes, then lock the clutches.
3) power up the mount, set the date and time and select a "quick align" from the hand controller
4) use PHD2 to slew the scope just west of the meridian at DEC 0 and do drift alignment, azimuth first, then altitude
5) select a fairly bright star near my first target for the night, slew to it (I use Cartes du Ciel for this, but you could use the hand controller)
6) Use Astrotortilla to plate solve, checking the 'sync scope' and 're-slew to target' boxes.
7) while I am there, I focus on the bright star.
8) slew to my target, do another plate solve with AstroTortilla, with sync and re-slew, to center the target
9) Start my imaging session.

It reads pretty complicated, but is simpler in execution. Not having to mess with any of the Hand Controller alignment routines saves a lot of time. I am no expert on all things AP, this is what I have evolved to after doing it for a couple of years. This is pretty much filling in the details JT didn't spell out in his response.

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

Brian

Post by Brian »

Thanks for the input. I’ll try astrotortilla next time I’m out. That makes perfect sense.
Altocumulus Scotland

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Altocumulus »

bobharmony wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 6:11 pm I have a Celestron ASGT, which is the predecessor to the AVX, and I have my process down to 20-30 minutes, and it is done during twilight, so I am not wasting any valuable imaging time:

1) set up the mount pointing roughtly North (since I have done this before, I have marks on the surface where the tripod legs should be).
2) unlock the clutches and line up the home marks on the RA and DEC axes, then lock the clutches.
3) power up the mount, set the date and time and select a "quick align" from the hand controller
4) use PHD2 to slew the scope just west of the meridian at DEC 0 and do drift alignment, azimuth first, then altitude
5) select a fairly bright star near my first target for the night, slew to it (I use Cartes du Ciel for this, but you could use the hand controller)
6) Use Astrotortilla to plate solve, checking the 'sync scope' and 're-slew to target' boxes.
7) while I am there, I focus on the bright star.
8) slew to my target, do another plate solve with AstroTortilla, with sync and re-slew, to center the target
9) Start my imaging session.

It reads pretty complicated, but is simpler in execution. Not having to mess with any of the Hand Controller alignment routines saves a lot of time. I am no expert on all things AP, this is what I have evolved to after doing it for a couple of years. This is pretty much filling in the details JT didn't spell out in his response.

Bob
Hey Bob .........

Don't you put a telescope on the mount? :twisted:
Just call me Geoff....

I do what I do because I can, and because I want to.
It doesn't mean I know what I'm doing :mrgreen:
bobharmony

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

Altocumulus wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 6:29 am

Hey Bob .........

Don't you put a telescope on the mount? :twisted:
I knew I was forgetting something... :D

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla