Your Log Book, Notebook, or Journal

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
The Wave Catcher United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Your Log Book, Notebook, or Journal

Post by The Wave Catcher »

What is the general consensus on what time to use in our observation logs? I’ve been logging time and date in UTC thinking it is more meaningful to a global community (no “daylight savings time” nonsense) and I already use it in other fields but recently I’ve had thoughts that it may be overkill and I should just use local time, which is either CST or CDT for me.

Thanks.

Steve Yates
Steve Yates

Astro-Tech AT102ED, 102 mm, F/7, ED Achromatic Refractor
Astro-Tech AT80ED, 80 mm, F/7, ED Achromatic Refractor
Bresser AR102s, 102 mm, f/4.5, Achromatic Refractor

Explore Scientific Twilight I Alt/Az Mount
Bresser Nano Alt/Az Mount
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

If you are going to utilize a time (something I do not do personally) then I would suggest whatever you feel comfortable with. I understand the thought of using UTC since it is static. But then again, most logs are simply a personal records of your activities, thus utilizing local time is sensible as well. As long as you notate whether it is CST or CDT (as applicable) I believe that is sufficient for anyone else reading your log. Let's be honest here, how many people are really going to be doing the mental gymnastics of converting it to their local time? I think few and far between. As I said, I never utilize times in my log nor do I pay any attention to times that might be listed in other people's logs. I just don't find it germane to my reading the details of what they saw. Just my .02 worth.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
The Wave Catcher United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by The Wave Catcher »

Hi Alan,

Thanks! I agree time is of little use normally but there have been a few occasions when it has come in handy. For instance, when I observe occultations accidentally and want to figure out later what I had observed or like last night when I was star hopping to M2 and I chased two different satellites that led me right to it and so I noted the times to have a little more information to identify them.

For the most part it is just a carry over habit from my amateur radio activities that may be just extra work. Usually I just roughly log start and start observing times.

Stev Yates
Steve Yates

Astro-Tech AT102ED, 102 mm, F/7, ED Achromatic Refractor
Astro-Tech AT80ED, 80 mm, F/7, ED Achromatic Refractor
Bresser AR102s, 102 mm, f/4.5, Achromatic Refractor

Explore Scientific Twilight I Alt/Az Mount
Bresser Nano Alt/Az Mount
Shabadoo
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Shabadoo »

Log start/ stop time for me. Local.
Jeff
Dad Joke King (ask my kids); Cereal killer
Orion Skyview pro 8 f5.
Binos: Polaris/wingspan 8x42 Ed/HD
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

The Wave Catcher wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:02 pm What is the general consensus on what time to use in our observation logs? I’ve been logging time and date in UTC thinking it is more meaningful to a global community (no “daylight savings time” nonsense) and I already use it in other fields but recently I’ve had thoughts that it may be overkill and I should just use local time, which is either CST or CDT for me.

Thanks.

Steve Yates
I don't log time for every target. But I do log time several time during the session: beginning and end of session, time when Milky Way becomes visible after sunset; Moon rise and set. Times for each segment, i.e. 6 to 7 pm - planets, 7 to 9 pm - galaxies. Also times of astronomical events like bright meteors, Jupiter moons transit, eclipses.

I prefer people reporting their local time instead of UTC. Let's say you are on the East coast and I am on the West. If you report that you observe Andromeda galaxy at 10 pm, the chances are that I will be able to see it at the same local time, i.e. 10 pm in California.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
Star Dad United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Star Dad »

I use star date. i.e. 20201209 and then local time for the start of each AP target. Using local time gives me a reference for the first and last start times I can use on a particular night - as sunrise and sunset varies each day. With my scant 1-3 nights per month I need a record of when I can actually begin to image. I also add the number of images to be taken - always keeping in mind the meridian flip possibility.
"To be good is not enough when you dream of being great"

Orion 203mm/f4.9/1000mm, converted TASCO 114mm/f9/1000mm to steam punk, Meade 114mm/f9/1000, Coronado PST, Orion EQ-G, Ioptron Mini-Tower and iEQ30, Canon 70D, ASI120MM,ASI294MC, Ioptron SkyHunter
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

The Wave Catcher wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:43 pm Hi Alan,

Thanks! I agree time is of little use normally but there have been a few occasions when it has come in handy. For instance, when I observe occultations accidentally and want to figure out later what I had observed or like last night when I was star hopping to M2 and I chased two different satellites that led me right to it and so I noted the times to have a little more information to identify them.

For the most part it is just a carry over habit from my amateur radio activities that may be just extra work. Usually I just roughly log start and start observing times.

Steve Yates
Agree Steve, the amateur radio logging thing does train one to keep records. Of course if you want a QSL, then having the time is important. Regarding astronomy, certain award programs, the AL comes to mind, want times in your logs. Though in reality, the time of the observation is not particularly germane in my view. For certain events, occultations as you mentioned, eclipses (lunar and/or solar) or transits, then if you plan to keep detailed logs of those type of events, time is a key element. But for general astronomical observations, I have never seen time as a critical element as long as you have the correct date.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Shabadoo
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Shabadoo »

Star Dad wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:37 pm I use star date. i.e. 20201209 and then local time for the start of each AP target. Using local time gives me a reference for the first and last start times I can use on a particular night - as sunrise and sunset varies each day. With my scant 1-3 nights per month I need a record of when I can actually begin to image. I also add the number of images to be taken - always keeping in mind the meridian flip possibility.
“Captains log...Stardate:_____....”
Jeff
Dad Joke King (ask my kids); Cereal killer
Orion Skyview pro 8 f5.
Binos: Polaris/wingspan 8x42 Ed/HD
mikemarotta
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by mikemarotta »

The Wave Catcher wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:02 pm What is the general consensus on what time to use in our observation logs? I’ve been logging time and date in UTC thinking it is more meaningful ...
I do both. Mostly, I record local time as CST or CDT. Sometimes, I do enter UTC for the feel of doing real science. However, as long you record the time and units, you have done what is required so that someone else can follow you -- or you can follow yourself. (As a technical writer, one of the motivations for my clients is that their computer programmers can never remember why did that thing six weeks ago. After a few of those, they hire me or someone like me to document code.)

And, considering time in astronomy, we just record local civil time. We do not report in sidereal time, even though that would be better for conversions to Right Ascension and Declination. That just seems excessive. But, I guess it depends on your preferences and needs.
Last edited by mikemarotta on Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---------------------------------------
Michael E. Marotta
Astro-Tech 115 mm APO Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/6.47 Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/9.8 Refractor Bresser 8-inch Newtonian Reflector Plössls from 40 to 6 mm Nagler Series-1 7mm. nonMeade 14 mm. Mounts: Celestron AVX, Explore Twilight I Alt-Az, Explore EXOS German Equatorial
mikemarotta
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by mikemarotta »

I picked up a new notebook. I saw them at Target in the impulse bins at the entrance for USD 3 each. So, I bought six with different covers and gave the others out to friends in the astronomy club.** The front is a calendar. The back of each monthly page is lined. After the 12 months are 24 more two-sided lined sheets. At the back are 16 sheets of two-sided graph paper. I have the laugh at the designer, though, because the squares align neither to millimeters nor to inches. The inside back cover has a pocket. I do not know how convenient that will prove. Right now, I keep an architect's stencil in there for the several different circles that it provides. The paper is nice, smooth, not toothy, maybe 80-lb or 90-lb. I mostly use pencil, but in fact, Ink does not show through.

** I have one left if anyone in the USA wants one. My treat.
---------------------------------------
Michael E. Marotta
Astro-Tech 115 mm APO Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/6.47 Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/9.8 Refractor Bresser 8-inch Newtonian Reflector Plössls from 40 to 6 mm Nagler Series-1 7mm. nonMeade 14 mm. Mounts: Celestron AVX, Explore Twilight I Alt-Az, Explore EXOS German Equatorial