Nightscapes & Startrails

Post your nightscape photos here.
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Nightscapes & Startrails

Post by OzEclipse »

I have previously posted that I am running a course on nightscape photography. We had a field trip on Thursday May 30, then Wednesday June 5 was also clear. I invited the group up to the dark site, set up my 18" dob and offered them a bonus field trip.

Only 3/7 could make it that night.

Here are a couple of pictures of the evening
Nightscapes-Startrails.jpg
Nightscapes&STARTRAILS-1219-1500p.jpg
Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)
OzEclipse Australia

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Nightscapes & Startrails

Post by OzEclipse »

One more from Wednesday night, one of the participants, Sari, was shooting it the field. Hence the tongue in cheek title, Sari Sari night. She moved a little during the exposure, I was just capturing and didn't ask her to stand still. Her camera and red flashlight made a nice illuminated patch on the ground around her. It's all one exposure however the site is very dark and so I've had to really stretch the landscape hence the landscape is much noisier than the sky.
Nightscapes&STARTRAILS-1213-1200px.jpg
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)
bladekeeper
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bladekeeper »

These are beautiful, Joe!

Man, I wish I was close enough to attend the course!
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100

Harshil Canada

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Harshil »

Beautiful Image!
Telescope: Celestrone 76Az powerseeker
Softwere: Stellarium, Sky-Safari
Binocular: Olympus dps i 10x50

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/patelharshil_02/
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/deepskyastronomy
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYk_vU ... wgI2EVRWxw
OzEclipse Australia

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

Thank you Bryan and Harshil for you comments. I wish you were close enough too. And thank you to all the thankers!

When I first discussed this course with the new centre director she said she was interested in hearing any proposals for new approaches to running courses and new course ideas. With the success of this one I have put a whole themed program to her that we offer this course twice a year this year and twice next. I'll also offer a time-lapse course that builds on this.

I'll form a project group out of the courses who continue to meet and develop bodies of work, weekend or longer guided shoots. If all is going well and we have lots of interest, I'll sponsor a proposal in next years application round(for 2021) to curate and mentor the group to do a multimedia exhibition incorporating both flat art and projected moving images to open in the centres gallery. The great part of this is that we can just gradually roll it out, if interest drops off we can just stop without any financial loss.

And here is one more..

This one captured in my Pentax K1, ISO 40,000, 14mm f2.8, 20s.
Nightscapes&STARTRAILS-1215-1000px.jpg
Cheers

Joe
Don Quixote

Post by Don Quixote »

Wow, Joe.
And Dang !
What a night !

I am also of fan of your class. Wish I could be there.
Thank you for sharing here.
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Beautiful shots Joe! I hope you course takes off. How far is the location from nearest city?
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Delos, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3122 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2196, S110: 77). Doubles: 2461, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 261
OzEclipse Australia

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

Hi Andrey, Mark Harshill and Bryan and all the thankers,

Thanks for your comments. This has been incredibly successful so far.

Andrey-
The photos were taken on the second field trip which was at my regular dark sky site on my mates property, 10km north of Yass, New South Wales and 50km NNW of Canberra. The first field trip was at a rail bridge about 5km south of their. I chose the area for the great skies and also because I have a good handle on when there will be clear sky for the area using the EC model.

The course wound up last week. The participants put in their course evaluation forms. I've always scored well in these end of course evaluations but this was a Nadia Comăneci moment straight 10/10 from every participant. All indicated interest in further related activities.

The upshot is that Photoaccess have decided to push forward with this astrophotography theme. There will be a program of four guided one night field trips in a 70km radius of Canberra between now and year end. Participants can buy a pass and choose any three. Then we are looking at a range of full weekend options from location campouts to rural farm stays.

We're looking at offering the foundation nightscape course again later this year, and a time-lapse course next year with long term aim is to curate a multimedia nightscape / time-lapse exhibition in 2021.

Cheers

Joe
The Happy Parrot
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

Post by The Happy Parrot »

Congratulations on your Nadia Comaneci gold medal moment Joe! I knew from your images there was something graceful about you.

Seriously, I wish there we had something similar around here, I'd sign up in a minute.

Wonderful Milky Way images BTW.
THP

Semper ubi sub ubi.

Telescopes: Refractor: Celestron DX 102AZ SSE f6.5; Newtonians: Z8 f5.9; Jason Comet 480t (ret.)
Eye Pieces: Meade 5.5 mm, ES 8.8 mm/82, Agena SG 12 mm, ES16 mm/68 & 24mm/68, Z30mm WF, Celestron 32 mm Pl.
Binoculars: Olympus DPS I 10x50
Backyard Light Pollution: Orange Bortle 4-5