Observing Report for 30 March 2020 - a second night of discovery

Let's see your reports!
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Observing Report for 30 March 2020 - a second night of discovery

Post by kt4hx »

This was my second evening at the dark site house. The forecast was a little different than the previous night, with a cold front working its way into the region. Temperatures would be noticeably cooler and heavier clouds would be moving in as the clock inched toward midnight. Nonetheless, as astronomical dark was approaching, and the slightly more illuminated moon bore down upon me, I was in place and ready to get as much as the sky would give me.

Starting out in the IDSA at chart 1 and then moving to chart 5, I finally wound up the evening on chart 11-left. The temps this evening were definitely cooler than the previous evening, and while I had my normal layers initially I found that would not suffice as time wore on. Ready to get things started I headed to Polaris to find my first object.

NGC 3172 (Ursa Minor, spiral, mag=14.1, size=1.1’x0.7’, SBr=13.7):
The closest NGC object to the north celestial pole, this dim galaxy has been anointed Polarissima Borealis. Starting at Polaris, I located this extreme northern galaxy about 1.5° to its south. At 110x in the moon brightened sky I found it a very dim small oval. Even at 199x it was fairly dim and while easily seen it was simply a diffuse small oval. A weak beginning to the evening’s outing, but we must begin somewhere. (New)

IC 512 (Camelopardalis, spiral, mag=12.2, size=1.8’x1.3’, SBr=13.0):
Slipping south about another 4° I swept up this subtle homogeneous oval glow. Viewed at 152x and 199x it remained a weak presence in a moon brightened sky. A bit brighter to the eye than the previous object, it was not particularly impressive either. (New)

NGC 3516 (Ursa Major, barred spiral, mag=11.7, size=1.7’x1.3’, SBr=12.4):
Changing over to chart 5-left, I headed to northeastern Ursa Major for something a little brighter. Small and rounded, it was somewhat bright to the eye at 110x and formed a flattened triangle with two field stars (10th and 11th mag). At 199x it remained an obvious homogeneous presence in the field. (New)

NGC 3562 (Draco, elliptical, mag=12.2, size=1.7’x1.3’, SBr=13.1):
Just northeast of the previous object and over the border into Draco I located my next target. Swept up at 110x it presented a somewhat bright, small uniform oval. Trying with 199x I noticed a very subtle inner lens of broader brightness with an intermittent stellar core embedded within. (New)

NGC 3523 (Draco, spiral, mag=12.9, size=1.3’x1.3’, SBr=13.3):
Just over 2.5° NNW of the previous galaxy I located a southeast to northwest gentle curve of three 7th magnitude stars. Just south of them I found a wide grouping of three galaxies. This face-on spiral was the easiest of the lot, but that was not saying much. It was a dim homogeneous little dust bunny in the brightened sky that changed little going up to 199x. (New)

NGC 3465 (Draco, spiral, mag=13.5, size=1.3’x1.1’, SBr=13.8):
About 14.5’ WNW of the first galaxy in this wide triplet I located this dim little oval. Uniformly illuminated it was rather poor visually. While easily noticed, it was a weak presence at both 110x and 199x. (New)

NGC 3500 (Draco, spiral, mag=13.5, size=1.4’x0.7’, SBr=13.4):
Between the other two and forming a flattened triangle with them, this little elongated oval was similarly dim like the previous object. A weak homogeneous entity within the field of view, it was equally unimpressive. (New)

NGC 3890 (Draco, spiral, mag=13.3, size=0.9’x0.9’, SBr=12.9):
Sweeping nearly 3° ESE I pinned down my next object. It proved to be a very subtle and small round glow at 110x. It formed one corner of a triangle with two dim field stars. Though easier to discern at 199x, it nonetheless remained a weak presence in the eyepiece. (New)

NGC 4133 (Draco, spiral, mag=12.3, size=1.8’x1.3’, SBr=13.1):
Nudging ENE for almost 1.5° brought me to this small oval. Swept up at 110x it presented as a bright oval that was evenly illuminated across its dimension. Using 199x a detected a subtle broad brightness within middle. Overall it was strong presence within the field of view. (New)

NGC 4291 (Draco, elliptical, mag=11.5, size=1.9’x1.6’, SBr=12.7):
Nearly 53’ northeast of NGC 4133 is a wide grouping of three brighter galaxies that I had already logged a couple of years ago. However, given their proximity to the previous object I stopped by for a re-visit. This galaxy forms a duo with NGC 4319, 6’ to its southeast. This elliptical was a small bright oval displaying broad brightness within its middle.

NGC 4319 (Draco, barred spiral, mag=11.9, size=2.8’x2.3’, SBr=13.8):
Nearby NGC 4319 looked similar, a small bright oval exhibiting a broadly brighter interior. This one was slightly dimmer to the eye, but still a strong presence in the field. I did not notice

NGC 4386 (Draco, barred lenticular, mag=11.7, size=2.5’x1.3’, SBr=12.8):
The third one of this grouping lay about 16’ northeast of the previous pair. At 110x I found it a bright elongated oval, small in size. Using 199x brought out an inner lens of brightness oriented along the major axis.

NGC 3329 (Draco, spiral, mag=12.2, size=1.8’x1.0’, SBr=12.6):
Shifting westward in Draco again, I located the field in the IDSA (chart 5-left) that shows two galaxies designated as NGC 3329 and NGC 3397. However, this is a duplicate plotting of one object. The problem comes from William Herschel’s discovery in 1801 (later catalogued as NGC 3397), and the later discovery that his position was miscalculated due to his scope being misaligned with the meridian. Adding to this is that in 1828, John Herschel, while verifying his father’s work plotted a galaxy east of his father’s position, which was later added as NGC 3992. It was determined that both were one in the same, with NGC 3929 being correctly plotted, and seems to be utilized in most references.

So while the atlas shows two objects, there is truly only one, which was validated by my personal observation as well. At 110x it was a small somewhat bright oval, generally homogeneous. Using 199x it was very obvious in the field and revealed a stellar core. (New)

NGC 2977 (Draco, spiral, mag=12.5, size=1.8’x0.8’, SBr=12.7):
Moving over to chart 5-right, in the southwestern corner of Draco, where it meets Ursa Major and Camelopardalis, I swept up this small spiral. It was very small and dim at 110x, but easily seen in the field. Appearing as a homogeneous elongated oval, at 199x it was more visually apparent, but overall remained weak in the view. (New)

UGC 4883 (Camelopardalis, spiral, mag=12.3, size=1.3’x0.7’, SBr=12.0):
Nudging about 1.75° WSW and crossing into Camelopardalis, I nailed down this small and dim oval. It lay at the end of a gentle arc of three field stars and appeared uniformly illuminated. At 199x while more apparent to the eye, it remained ghostly. (New)

NGC 2748 (Camelopardalis, spiral, mag=11.7, size=3.0’x1.1’, SBr=12.8):
Nudging northward about 2° and staying within Camelopardalis, I pulled down this slightly bright and slightly large oval using 110x. It seemed the northeastern end was slightly thicker than was the southwestern half. Taking a look at 199x, it was a strong presence in the field and a little bit large in visual appearance. An inner lens of brightness was elongated with the major axis. Again, the northeastern end seemed to be slightly thicker. (New)

I checked images after the session to see if I could make some sense of this apparent difference in disk thickness from one end to the other. What I found was that there were more HII regions visible in the northeastern end, while the southwestern end exhibited more obscuring dust, muting its brightness. I believe that accounted for the visual differences I noticed.

NGC 2908 (Draco, spiral, mag=14.1, size=0.8’x0.8’, SBr=13.9):
Moving NNE and back into Draco, I located my next target, but not with 110x. I dropped in the 13mm Ethos (152x) which gave me the same TFOV as the ES 82 but with a little boost in magnification. I now suspected a very dim little round dust mote near a dim pair of field stars. It was confirmed at 199x, but again remained a weak homogenous presence in the field. (New)

NGC 3215 (Draco, spiral, mag=13.1, size=1.1’x1.0’, SBr=13.1):
NGC 3212 (Draco, barred spiral, mag=13.2, size=1.5’x0.9’, SBr=13.4):

Nudging back east and onto chart 5-left again, I nailed down the dim pair of galaxies, otherwise known as Arp 181. At 110x they was merely suspected as a small and dim single homogeneous oval. Using 199x, it remained poor visually, but now I was getting a sense of two adjacent very dim ovals almost in contact. They were similar in appearance, but the one to the northwest (NGC 3212) was slightly dimmer). Dropping in the XW 7mm (297x) I confirmed the presence of the two ovals very close together. Both remained small, dim and evenly illuminated, and lying only about 1’ apart. (New - 2)

I noticed some heavier clouds starting to work in from the WSW as the cold front overtook our area. With the temps dropping off I already had on a medium jacket over my layers, but eventually added a knit cap and fingerless gloves as the temperature continued to inch down. Turning to chart 11-left, I was headed for the finish line, which would be M101 and some galaxies in close attendance to this marvelous object.

NGC 5457 / Messier 101 (Ursa Major, spiral, mag=7.9, size=28.8’x26.9’, SBr=14.9):
Swept up at 110x, this behemoth was magnificent. Bright yet diaphanous in nature, its delicate spiral structure was easily seen as a large pinwheel, befitting of its nickname. Its core was a small concentrated non-stellar brightness within the larger broad brightness of its central region. From this larger portion its arms uncoiled as mottled diffuse arcs.

Studying the disk further, I easily spotted the brightest of nine HII regions listed in the NGC. However, as conditions were starting to generally deteriorate I decided not to spend the time this outing to try and pin down the remaining ones. Instead, after identifying the one I decided to leave the larger task of digging into M101’s structure to another time when conditions were a little bit better (no moon) and moved on to some galaxies surrounding M101 to wrap up the outing

Interestingly, though I vaguely recall observing some of the features of M101 and some of the surrounding galaxies many years ago, that was during a time when I mistakenly did not maintain a log. So due to this oversight on my part, I wanted to see some of these galaxies for the purposes of entering them into my log. Sort of make amends for not doing my due diligence in my earlier years! :)

NGC 5471 (Ursa Major, diffuse nebula within a galaxy, size=0.9’x0.7’):
This is the largest and brightest of the M101 HII regions and appeared east of and slightly separated from the envelope of the galaxy. It was fairly bright and rounded, standing out boldly in the field. Appearing similar to a galaxy, it even contained a small non-stellar central brightness. (New)

NGC 5474 (Ursa Major, spiral, mag=10.8, size=4.7’x4.7’, SBr=14.0):
About 44’ SSE of M101 I easily located this somewhat large and somewhat bright round homogeneous glow using 110x. Viewed with 199x it was uneven in brightness indicative of its face-on spiral structure. The core was quite bright with an intermittent stellar twinkle at its center. (New)

NGC 5473 (Ursa Major, spiral, mag=11.4, size=2.3’x1.7’, SBr=12.8):
Shifting my attention about 35’ NNE of M101 I spotted this small bright rounded cotton ball, with a stellar core pinned to its center. Taking a look at 199x its apparent size grew noticeably as more of its diffuse outer halo became visible. (New)

NGC 5485 (Ursa Major, lenticular, mag=11.4, size=2.3’x1.9’, SBr=12.9):
Next up was this lenticular about 22’ ENE of the previous object. At 110x I found it smallish in visual size, but bright to the eye. Rounded in shape its disk seemed evenly illuminated. Using 199x it was very strong in the field and revealed a stellar core twinkling at its center. (New)

NGC 5486 (Ursa Major, spiral, mag=13.2, size=1.7’x1.0’, SBr=13.6):
Almost 6.5’ NNE of my last object I noticed this small and fairly dim dust mote in the same field of view. Slightly elongated and homogenous in appearance at 110x, it was a tad easier to pick up at 199x, though it remained small and diffuse. (New)

NGC 5475 (Ursa Major, spiral, mag=12.6, size=2.0’x0.5’, SBr=12.4):
About 47.5’ NNW of NGC 5485, just west of a meandering line of field stars ranging from 10th to 13th magnitude, I located this sliver of dim light. Visually it appeared tiny and homogeneous at 110x. Viewing with 199x though small and a little dim, it was obvious. Within its center a stellar core winked back at me. (New)

NGC 5443 (Ursa Major, barred spiral, mag=12.3, size=2.7’x1.0’, SBr=13.2):
Nearly 26’ WNW of the previous object I picked up another thin galaxy. I found it somewhat bright at 110x with a little more thickness (bulge) at the center and tapered ends. Overall it appeared homogeneous, though at 199x a stellar core emerged within its bulge. I also noticed a dim 14th mag field star just off its southern tip. (New)

NGC 5422 (Ursa Major, lenticular, mag=11.9, size=3.9’x0.7’, SBr=12.9):
Over 40’ SSW of the previous galaxy I easily located my final object for the evening. Swept up at 110x, it appeared small and thin, a little bit bright and generally evenly illuminated across its envelope. With 199x an intermittent stellar core popped in and out. Though generally small it was fairly bright and obvious in the field. (New)

The sky was turning more uncooperative as the minutes passed, and I was also getting a little colder as well. So with residual fatigue from the previous evening, combined with some hard work that ensued during the day, I decided to call it a night. I moved my gear back into the garage and went in for something hot to eat before settling down for the evening. With rain in the forecast for the next day, I would head home in the morning, so the thought of some sleep was enticing.

Thanks for coming along on this two-night journey through the circumpolar skies. I hope you have enjoyed reading of my adventures and that it inspires you to seek out some of these objects during your own evenings of personal discovery. Keep looking up friends and I wish you clear skies and good health during this current crisis. :)
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Observing Report for 30 March 2020 - a second night of discovery

Post by notFritzArgelander »

I'm envious of your having so much fun! Very informative too about the confusing nomenclature in Draco. Appreciate your views of Arp 181 and M101 as well.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

notFritzArgelander wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:00 am I'm envious of your having so much fun! Very informative too about the confusing nomenclature in Draco. Appreciate your views of Arp 181 and M101 as well.
Thank you nFA. It was indeed fun. Now I am on lunar holiday. :)

Unfortunately there are quite a few discrepancies within the NGC/IC, and I find it a fascinating study. I have a great deal of respect and admiration for the forerunners of observational astronomy. But of course being human, they made their share of mistakes which had to be ferreted out.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

Great fun if you larder your report with "old" discovery or observation stories. Whether they are from Herschel or yourself. Educational and wonderful to read. Thanks!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
NGC 1365 Australia
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by NGC 1365 »

Thanks Alan. Even though these objects are forever below my horizon (or very close to it), l enjoyed reading your very descriptive observations, especially of M101, must be an amazing sight.
Ivan

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

John Baars wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:45 am Great fun if you larder your report with "old" discovery or observation stories. Whether they are from Herschel or yourself. Educational and wonderful to read. Thanks!
Thanks John. I appreciate your kind comments. I truly enjoy reading about the older discoveries. Those were people who dedicated themselves to peering into the unknown to see what was there, attempting to make sense of it all despite their crude understanding of what they were seeing. They were indeed pioneers of celestial wilderness.
NGC 1365 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:33 am Thanks Alan. Even though these objects are forever below my horizon (or very close to it), l enjoyed reading your very descriptive observations, especially of M101, must be an amazing sight.
Thank you Ivan for your nice comments, they are much appreciated. It is indeed funny that you mention that most of the objects will always be below your northern horizon. I had that thought at some point during my two nights observing in our circumpolar skies - that many if not all those objects would be mostly unattainable (or very difficult) for our southern friends. I think for all of us there is something uniquely mysterious and exotic about objects that lie forever below our horizon.

You are correct, M101 is a fantastic visual treat, particularly from darker locations where its weak surface brightness isn't completely overcome by sky glow. One you have down there that I would assume is very similar in appearance would be NGC 6744 in Pavo. I am sure there are many others that you have experience with as well.
Alan

terrynak
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by terrynak »

Despite the moderate moon glow, you were still able to pick up a ton of faint (at least from my point of view) galaxies, Alan!

M101 brings back memories for me - one of the first galaxies I was able to pick up as I was truly discovering the joys of deep-sky observing in the spring of 2010, after a 20+ year layoff. Haven't seen it since 2011.

Was able to log all the < 12 mag. galaxies on your list (n=7, including the aforementioned one), except for NGC 4319 in Dra (with an SB of 13.8, too faint) and NGC 2748 in Cam (doable, but again in a rarely explored constellation).
Scopes: Reflectors, refractors, and 1 catadioptric. Ranging in aperture from 50mm to 150mm.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

terrynak wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:51 pm Despite the moderate moon glow, you were still able to pick up a ton of faint (at least from my point of view) galaxies, Alan!

M101 brings back memories for me - one of the first galaxies I was able to pick up as I was truly discovering the joys of deep-sky observing in the spring of 2010, after a 20+ year layoff. Haven't seen it since 2011.

Was able to log all the < 12 mag. galaxies on your list (n=7, including the aforementioned one), except for NGC 4319 in Dra (with an SB of 13.8, too faint) and NGC 2748 in Cam (doable, but again in a rarely explored constellation).
Thanks Terry, and I was happy with the results with the moon present in the sky. Of course, the closer it gets to full, the less I would see. So presently, I am on lunar holiday until it starts coming up closer to midnight so I can get some moon free observing in. Once we get there, then I will go after the other eight NGC HII regions in M101, plus I want to dig heavily into Abel 1656, the Coma Cluster. :)
Alan

Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Another excellent night Alan! Thanks for sharing.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Bigzmey wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:00 pm Another excellent night Alan! Thanks for sharing.
Thank you Andrey. The trip turned out much better than I had hoped for given the variable forecast and the presence of the moon. :)
Alan

Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Quite the haul, Alan! Glad you had a productive night!!

Stay safe!!

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Unitron48 wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:38 pm Quite the haul, Alan! Glad you had a productive night!!

Stay safe!!

Dave
Thank you Dave. The two night trip was quite successful despite the moon. Next time out without the moon, I plan to revisit M101 in an attempt to round up the other nine NGC HII regions in its arms (per the below annotated image)
M101 HII Regions.jpg
Alan