Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Some 80mm f/15 fun

Post by Thefatkitty »

This Tuesday (March 11) I had a bit of a clear window from 7 - 10PM, though it was only -7C (19F). In the morning all the forecasts looked great; by the time I got in from work the seeing forecast had worsened and the dark skies would not be as much so.

I thought to take out my Jason Saturn Model 324 80mm/1200mm. I bought it on Kijiji about four years ago for $80. They do not have the best reputation, but for a buck a mm, why not give it a shot :D Long story short, the views were indeed not the best. I took out the objective and found the crown and flint were not lined up together! After blackening the lens edges, I put it back together properly and that fixed that. A star test is perfect. The aluminum lens cell is colimatable, but it seems I don't have to go there.

I cleaned out, regreased and tightened up the original mount. Even the screws holding the metal brackets were all loose, big difference now that they're tight. The mount is really solid for this scope, and it turns well on all axis. I also made a simple mod to take 1.25" parts on the all-metal, very solid focuser; turns out the drawtube has the same OD as 1.25 diagonals, etc. I use a 1/4 socket on a screwdriver end to tighten/loosen the hoseclamp. Since the drawtube and whatever 1.25 accessory I put in there both have machined straight edges, you just butt them up and tighten. I also put oversize thick plastic jar lids on both the tiny focuser knobs. Not a two speed, but much better than before ;)

This is a picture of it with my Sears 60mm/700mm. Both have Towa glass, as do a lot of my scopes.

Anyways. I went out with it about 7:30 to see Venus. I use my Celestron Star diagonal with this scope; it's the one from my orange C80. The field of view is wider and somewhat brighter than my iOptron dielectric. I put in an 18mm KK and had a look.
Well, it's not bad considering the seeing and the lowness to the horizon. There was a dark area on the crescent; clouds or just the side of the planet opposite the Sun I wasn't sure. Then I thought to take a picture of it.

So get this: I put my Canon T3 with it's T-ring into the focuser. Turning the RA knob, I found Venus again through the camera's viewfinder. Naturally, it was blurry. I focused best I could looking through the camera viewfinder, all the while turning the RA knob. Objects drift by quick in this thing. I then turned on the camera, got live view up at 10X, and tried to tighten the focus.
What is wrong with me?? :lol: Man, Venus was jiggling around more on live view than my cat's stomach when she sometimes runs. After about 15 seconds though, I was able to keep a pretty constant speed with the RA, and focus (lightly) with the focuser knobs.

All considering, it could be worse. This is 35 stacked frames at ISO 800 and 1/2000 sec exp. Just PIPP and AS2, no Registax or the like; it really looked butchered :lol:

After that I went in and warmed up while unloading the camera. Back out at 8, and decided to do some more visual. It was a bit hazy, but I'm here anyways... Putting in my 25MM KK, I pointed the scope at the faint smudge I assumed was the Pleiades. Indeed it was. I sat down and had a look.
I forgot to mention I have only done a star test for visual with this since I fixed the objective issue; I actually ran out of clear sky that night. Needless to say, my neighbors all probably heard the "Wow!"
My best scope is my orange C80 by Vixen. Although I'm now thinking that this Jason might just be a tad better.....

The star colors, velvet background, un-freaking-real. I looked up and it was still not the best seeing. How is this even possible? Seriously, I spent about 45 minutes going from there to the "V" in Taurus, Orion for sure, and finishing with the Little Beehive cluster and Sirius and the Pup. My lens use was all Fujiyama KK's; 25, 18 and 12mm. 9mm was just too much. Even with the seeing, stars of mag 11 were no problem and just perfect little pinpoints on the blackest background I've ever seen from here. I've so gotta get this thing to a dark sky site!

And now I'm cold as it's really not warming up outside. I could see the moonglow to the east, so I thought to go in and warm up again and later try for that, both AP and visual. I need to look for CA :D

By 10:30 the Moon was up enough to be visible to me and wash everything else out. There was a white glow around it; a result of bad seeing. Ah well, let's see. Popping in my 25mm, I looked at the "terminator" side with all the craters. Yet another Wow moment! The contrast was just spectacular! I must've said Wow about a dozen times, and that was just the 25mm :lol: And try as I might, I could find no CA. Nada, zip. At least for lunar, this scope has a slight edge over my C80.
I spent another half hour with the Moon, and even got some descent views through the 9mm. I can still picture it, and I know I keep saying this, but Wow!!

Well, it's getting on to past 11. 6AM comes early. I put my T3 in the back and let it cool for a bit. Focusing on the Moon was somewhat easier than focusing on Venus; imagine that. The haze was a bit worse (it started raining just after midnight) so not the best. I only did 30 frames. I only have enough time to take 15 frames before it's out of the FOV... Oh, and ISO 1600 at 1/640 sec exp.

Time to pack it all up and get warm for good :D The mount is a bit of a "dance" to get in the door and downstairs, the legs don't fold in. The OTA goes in first, then the dance with the mount begins... :lol:

And some of my thoughts on f/15 fracs, at least the 80mm variety... I would definitely NOT recommend this scope for a first-time user, or someone with limited patience.
The FOV is very small (I tried this with the original .965 diagonal and 20mm lens; I don't know how it's useable like that), and unless the mount is really solid, focus will be very difficult due to vibration. A good finderscope/red dot/whatever your fancy that is perfectly lined up with the OTA is an absolute necessity.
Also, most of us would get an ED or APO and have an easier time of it. I think you just have to be someone who appreciates the old school long f/l achro's and who can put up with and even be happy with their shortcomings :D

One day I might get back out again. First the rain, clouds, and winds have to go.... Hope you have better luck!

All the best everyone,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Infinity and Beyond Ambassador

Re: Some 80mm f/15 fun

Post by Lady Fraktor »

A very nice report Mark :)
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

I appreciate the "old school". Thanks for the report.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
Don Quixote

Post by Don Quixote »

Good show, Mark !
Thank you for the fine report and images.
More clear skies to you my friend.
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Nice Mark!

I like the "old school" too also the hands on tuning of your scopes. Very nice report! Thanks!

Fine crisp lunar shot despite the conditions and a fine job with Venus with manual tracking!

Thanks!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Makuser »

Hello Mark. On my second foray back into astronomy, I started with a Jason 60mm refractor, and took a lot of moon walks. I later added a Cave 10" f/5 Astrola Newtonion scope, all back in the mid/late 1970's. You have very nice images of Venus and the Moon here with this vintage gear and no guiding. Thanks for sharing these captures with us here Mark, and the very best of regards.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Baars »

Thanks for your report.
I once had a DIY 80mm f/15 refractor on the same mount. The home made tripod was rather heavy and stable, but the mount wasn't. I can imagine the jiggling and your annoyance. The old school refractor itself is rather nice though, after you having found its flaws. Great capture of Venus!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
bladekeeper
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bladekeeper »

That's pretty awesome, Mark! Very very nice lunar capture too! Well done!

Day 9 of solid clouds here. No rain today, but that should pick up in earnest tomorrow. They've shut the schools down here for the rest of the month (online classes only). Went in to work today for a couple of hours to get my rat killin' caught up. I expect tomorrow morning will be filled with discussions on how to mitigate the zombie horde. :)
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100

Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Excellent! Quality time with some vintage glass.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

Excellent engineering skills Mark!

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Great stuff Mark - nice retrofit and some good photos.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
terrynak
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by terrynak »

Very nice report and pic with the two 'fracs Mark! I'll need to take a group shot of all my "old" 60mm 'fracs.

A 80/1200mm 'frac looks huge - I personally would prefer the shorter C80.
Scopes: Reflectors, refractors, and 1 catadioptric. Ranging in aperture from 50mm to 150mm.